• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking HARD at purchasing a 100T portable track pin press......anybody use one and have thoughts??

Monkeywithawrench

I wouldn't have stayed in the dark if I were there. I know your pain and would have lent a hand or run away "depending on your greeting."

Well, at that point; I was in a foul mood. Probably wouldn't have gotten the warmest greeting. Not too many people I know who do tracks...........actually none that I know of. It was late...........so I really couldn't have called anyone to pick their brain anyway.
So you prefer the C press.........TCtractors (I think) prefers the tie rod rig........easier to handle (I think I'll agree on that). Think the 100T rig is big enough?? I honestly haven't run into anything over 2". And its hard for you to say which rig would work for me..............guess I need to start somewhere........**** or get off the pot.
And thank you for offering to help that night..........or run!!LOL
I appreciate your insights..............FROM ALL OF YOU!! Looking to learn from others experiences and mistakes before I can make my own.

Old Doug

I don't owe money on anything. I buy everything with cash...........or I put it on the company credit card and pay that off the same month. I HATE OWING THE BANKS ANYTHING!! Right or wrong............thats my mentality. I don't buy toys ............if I'm going to buy something, then it needs to be useful and earn me money. I look at it this way............I could probably turn around and sell it a few years from now or whenever and not lose money. In fact, it would probably appreciate............based on the way commodities and tool and equipment prices are going. Just don't want to buy something and say.........Gee, I should have gone with the other system...........this one doesn't cover all my needs.

I am about in the same boat as you are over buying a trailer. I need a bigger trailer were i could almost double my load per trip. If i could double my loads per trip it would save time and make it more profitable . I also think i could sell it if i dont need it i know i would have to take a loss if i did. I have 2 trailers i would sell and would want to but the way things are they wouldnt bring much. I also think about giving up the scrap business .

Monkeywithawrench

i also have short dummy plates that I can bolt to the links to retain the bolt spacing, I don't use these very often as I like to think I can do things faster with the trick, the 2 Tie rods are still in the CAT tool book and work well , I would think hard about blowing big coins on something that looks an animal to mess with, I have posted plenty of pictures of pin pressing and know how to make it pay, the secret would be do the job yourself with your own kit, let no one hire it or go near it and you have a Market to yourself, if they want a pin pressed they come to you only, the difference in pin length and Diameter due to who's made the chain will also get you struggling,

Good morning Tony,
In some of your pics you have a RED cylinder setup with ears welded on it for pulling and you also use it/ have it setup for pushing pins. Who makes that setup?? How many tons is that?? I looked in the CAT tool catalog and didn't see a setup like the one your sporting.

Thank you!!!

Monkeywithawrench

Found the video that got me started on building mine which is similar, but has differences.

Thank you!! I'll look at it tonight.
Emailled WTC Machinery asking for prices for their 150T tie rod kit..................Tony TCTractor got me thinking and wondering. Go BIG or GO HOME?? Isn't that the mantra in this industry?? Or is it work smarter, not harder?? Old Timers...........its a bitch!! :)

tctractors

Good morning Tony,
In some of your pics you have a RED cylinder setup with ears welded on it for pulling and you also use it/ have it setup for pushing pins. Who makes that setup?? How many tons is that?? I looked in the CAT tool catalog and didn't see a setup like the one your sporting.

Thank you!!!
The Red cylinder I bought new imported from Italy from Big Nozzi, the make massive Track press machines and have been around for years, the cylinder is a 105 ton job and is built the same if not better as the CAT cylinder/s that I also use, with these cylinders you can tackle F/Drives on CAT Komatsu Fiat and plenty of other kit, you can also press in track pins and bushings if you know how to and have the tooling, my work involves track chain with a pin size below 65mm so Excavators around 60 metric tons down, on small kit like D6D and below I often use a 74 ton cylinder as it fits the same press head and rods but is easier to load in my banger, all the go big or go home stuff you need to save if you are looking to work on similar size equipment as myself, a large press will restrict you working on the regular jobs like 20 ton swingers etc, to pull and push sprockets is easy enough but it's a lot easier if you know what you are doing and have the correct kit or the brains to work things out, I have 50 years+ in the pot and possibly done more F/Drives than anyone I know so I have the Badge and Stripes, think what work you want to or expect to get and don't waste coins on something you might never use, I have already said chop out pins and press in new don't waste your time pressing worn out crap and then you have to learn the secret of how to keep the link space correct to be able to fit the plate. tctractors
p.s. I have just looked at the 200 Ton video, the chaps look to have a bit of D5B (6.91 pitch) chain to work on and that many bits a bobs it's like a Rubic Cube, I would be loading my kit back in the truck working out the Bill while those lads are still trying to work out how to assemble their fine tool, laughable would be the word.

Last edited:

Monkeywithawrench

if you know what you are doing and have the correct kit or the brains to work things out, I have 50 years+ in the pot and possibly done more F/Drives than anyone I know so I have the Badge and Stripes, think what work you want to or expect to get and don't waste coins on something you might never use, I have already said chop out pins and press in new don't waste your time pressing worn out crap and then you have to learn the secret of how to keep the link space correct to be able to fit the plate. tctractors

Tony..........I appreciate the feedback. Please understand, I'm starting with basically nothing and am looking to buy a good starter set. Yes, I understand you have a plethora of experience and knowledge doing this.......that is why I am inquiring from you. I wish, as do many others on here; that you were closer so that I could come and spend some time with you to learn your secrets and hard won knowledge regarding final drives and pin pushing. I want to be that sponge to soak up knowledge. I'd love to be able to know it all, but I don't..........I readily admit that.....hence the multiple questions.
When I was growing up, my family had a pile driving company. I soaked up whatever knowledge and experiences my father, uncles, and grandfather shared with me. Learned to drive tractor trailers in the yard when I was 10 or 12. Summers, my brother and I spent cleaning the boilers, painting the booms and cabs of cranes..........whatever we were told to do. Learned how to run cranes after we learned how to maintain them. I went to college and got my civil engineering degree because I was the heir apparent. Family in fighting destroyed the company while I finished college. Ended up working on a tugboat after being offered a job. Went from coastal tugs pushing fuel to ocean going boat. Worked my way up from deck ape to chief engineer and held a 200T masters/ 500T mates license. Have traveled from Venezuala to Quebec, Canada and every where in between. Experience of a lifetime!! That was in my 20's. Got tired of going away and put my college degree to use. Worked on the Big Dig in Boston for 10 years with one of the major heavy highway companies. Figured I'd be with them for life...............wrong. They went bankrupt. The bonding company ended up finishing their contracts. Got another job with another heavy highway company. Thought I had it made in the shade. Nice salary, $850/month vehicle allowance, fuel card, fast pass, and they provided 100% coverage for good health insurance to their engineers. 6 years with them.........my daughter was 2.........she was diagnosed with leukemia. My wife and daughter lived at Childrens hospital in Boston for 8 months during the worst part of her cancer and treatments (its all good now........she's 15 and strong and healthy). I ended up getting laid off 6 months into her treatments. I'll never......ever........forget that day when I walked into the hospital room at 1pm instead of showing up at 5pm as per routine. My wifes face brightened and she said "What a nicce suprise!! Your here early!!". Then she must have read my face and I had to tell I had just been laid off. Nothing but a number to them. The costs out weighed the benefits. Something I didn't know and found out a few years later..........the more you use the health insurance, the more it costs the company in premiums. I was costing the company a boatload with the insurance because my daughter got sick!! Found that out a few years after I got laid off from a friend in the company. That was when I made my decision to start my own repair business. I enjoyed the work, something I could do by myself, and I already had a bunch of tools........not nearly enough, but quite a bit more than I needed to start.
My biggest lament has been not being able to soak up ALL of my fathers, uncles, and grandfathers knowledge regarding construction and equipment repair. They could take a crane apart and have it back together again the next day, it seemed. I would have loved to be able to plug into their brains before they passed and copied all of that knowledge and put it into my head!! 2 generations of experience and knowledge gone!! And every new generation needs to learn it for themselves either the hard way or from someone who has been there and learned the ins and out.
So dude..........this is why I and others pepper you with questions and ask for your sage advice. So we can, hopefully; learn from your experiences and hard won knowledge.
So when you say I need to learn the secret of keeping the link spaced and you would have already had the job done and figuring the bill before the manufacturer had the bits installed and they started work.............great. Guess I'll just figure out for myself what might be a good starting point and entry press and hope I've made the best choice that I can expand on.
Not trying to be discourteous. I appreciate everything you've imparted and the time you've taken to reply. Your just being a little cryptic.
This is the rig I would get if I were starting and out and this is why.
This is what I do to keep the spacing between the links and why.
Thank you again........

ETER

Brother, sounds like you got 'er all figured out with the regard to 336 track work you seem to be working on a lot...lots of people come on here with questions looking for advise and such...same people get responses with years of cumulative experience/advise and then just want to debate it. Hope that the decision you finally make on your tool purchase fills the need, provides a good return on your investment and more importantly, you are comfortable with the decision you made to invest/purchase the press in the years to follow (and just so you know...there are much better investments in life than tools).

Regards, Bob

Monkeywithawrench

Brother, sounds like you got 'er all figured out with the regard to 336 track work you seem to be working on a lot...lots of people come on here with questions looking for advise and such...same people get responses with years of cumulative experience/advise and then just want to debate it. Hope that the decision you finally make on your tool purchase fills the need, provides a good return on your investment and more importantly, you are comfortable with the decision you made to invest/purchase the press in the years to follow (and just so you know...there are much better investments in life than tools).

Regards, Bob
I'd like to think I do............but I don't. Wish I knew all there is to know about heavy equipment.........I don't. I guess I'm going to go with the 100T press from WTC Machinery. That seems to the most prevalent size going. What swayed me on that setup is they have the tooling for that rig for the Positive Pin Retension system (PPR)..............so should I need it or run into a machine with it, well it will be available and I won't have to figure out on my own what the tool should look like or how its designed. NOW, the caveat to that is; hopefully they've already spent the time and have it dialed in so it works. I think we can agree (I know I've run into this before) that just because you buy a tool for a purpose or task, doesn't mean its going to work. Bought a few tools only to have them not work or need modification.
Still trying to wrangle over the C press or tie rod system. Both systems have there pro's and cons. I've asked the manufacturers if they have sold any in New England area so I could go and look at one, maybe try them out, and ask the owners opinions. No such luck. I've asked for current customers references and if I could call them to speak with them......they are unwilling to call the customers and get that permission and won't give their info out due to privacy (which I get).
So, in a nutshell; best guess it is!! (Much like diagnosing an intermittent problem!!LOL)
As for much better investments in life............YES!! The beauty of working for yourself is you can TRY and set a schedule. My wife had to travel this week for work and I've taken my daughter to 3 dentists appointments getting her braces off. She got to eat her first corn on the cob last night in years!!! I think that was awesome to be able to be there so experience that........mom was pretty bummed out she wasn't here for that!! Little things like that...........priceless. Now if I were still working for a big corporate heavy highway company..........nope!! I invest my money in things that are going to make me money. Tools make me money. I've run into the need for a track press more than a few times. Time to just bite the bullet and pull the trigger and buy one. The need is there. I also do some heavy investing in the stock market and other financial instruments. Yeah, the market is down.........but I look at it as everything is on SALE for bargain basement prices!! Just pulled the trigger today on more CAT stock. Have been mulling that over for the last 6 months. They are into more than just heavy equipment.
Thank you for your input..........I appreciate it!!

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I didn't know that PPR was available for an excavator so I checked my book and low and behold it lists it for the forestry machines. That would be logging shovels, bunchers and processors. I find that odd because I've probably measured more undercarriages on forestry machines that all the PSSRs in this territory combined. I've only seen it on large dozers, D9, D10 and D11.

I don't know that you can push a master pin on one of those machines with a 100 ton C press. Maybe someone can pipe up and inform us.

Monkeywithawrench

I don't know that you can push a master pin on one of those machines with a 100 ton C press. Maybe someone can pipe up and inform us.
You, sir; would know better than I regarding PPR. As for a D10 or D11..........I would be a bit dubious, myself; as to whether the 100T unit would work on that size. And honestly, I don't think I'd want to play with something that size. I'm just not sure where the PPR system is used and what size its used for. I'd rather have the option to be able to tackle a PPR system if need be.
So the 150T tie rod setup is $16k without the tooling. Decisions, decisions.........

John..........what book is it that you refer to?? I'd be interested in looking at that.

Mike L.............as soon as I get it, I'll post pics. Maybe if your down this way you could come over and check it out.........Hell, I'll even offer to drag it up with me next time go up to camp. You could come down to Augusta, we could meet up, and check it out then!!! LOL

Dmiller.........when you say 'Keystone thread arrangement and step to stop' ..........the Keystone thread....is that like ACME thread?? (I'll have to google that)
Like saying 'Hand me that Crescent wrench' is the same as saying Adjustable wrench?? Or a circular saw is also a Skilsaw??LOL

Monkeywithawrench

Everything you wanted to know about ACME thread and thread rolling.................

https://www.keystonethreaded.com/why-roll-threading/

Dmiller...........thank you for giving me the impetus to google Keystone Thread. Awesome video and explanations on ACME thread. And I learned a new term for ACME thread as well!! Pretty interesting on how they make the thread on the rods. Look at the size of the driveshafts on the video!! Tell me there is some torque that isn't being applied!!LOL
On the tug I was last on we had 2000hp Fairbanks Morse engines coupled to Lufkin reductions gears. Gearing was 2.341-1. 12" shafts going out to the wheels. Sometimes you needed to get under the deckplates for whatever reason, close by couplings. The joke was, there wouldn't even be hiccup.........just a pink mist if you got tangled up.

Monkeywithawrench

Edition 17 Cat Custom Track Service handbook.

i worked on Fairbanks Morse 38ND81/8 generator sets in the Navy.
LOL........yup!! 38D 8 1/8 opposed piston, direct reversing, medium speed diesels!! Incredibly quiet compared to Alcoa's or EMD's. Those engines just purred along. Changing out a liner was a BEAR though, compared to the EMD's!! LOL
Fairbanks had a shop in Norfolk, VA on Tidewater dr...........if memory serves correctly. Every time we were in Norfolk, I'd go off shopping!!!LOL
Used to do some wheeling and dealing in there. I had to rent a U haul one time to bring my prizes back to the boat!! I was banned from making 'UNAUTHORIZED' purchases after that. The company was sympathetic with me when I explained what I bought, why, and how much it would have cost them if we went 'the normal channel'. Good job, nice haul..............don't ever do it again!!LOL

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
We had two of them for reactor support. 1000KW for reactor fill and auxiliary support. Turned 900 RPM, had twin fuel injection pumps per cylinder, dry sump lube system, air start, two stroke monsters. The navy provided us with all the special tools to work on them if they had problems. We had fuel dilution problems because oft he JP-5 fuel we had to run. Changed all the injection pumps out on both engines. Had water get in the day tank of the forward diesel another time and the filters worked. Killed the engine instead of ingesting all that water. During a bearing check we found a broken rod bearing shell and had to change it out. Not a lot of issues in the four years I was on that boat.

PM me your email if you want a copy of the undercarriage manual.