• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for quality laser options

GFMotorsports

Searched on here and really didn't find thee best answer on rotary lasers I was looking for. Pretty much just starting out a excavation company and looking for a quality unit mainly for footers, driveways and grading. Possible much larger projects in the future but don't want to break the bank for a $3000 unit. Spectra Precision I have heard are great units but I need some experienced advice on my best buy. Thanks in advance!

KTE

I bought a topcon RL-h4c without looking at it first or any research..it's a nice laser and all but I can't figure out the slope adjustment. It has slope but you cannot set it to a certain number. I have yet to find out what the slope would be if I pushed the button twice or 13 times. I would definitely get one that you can adjust the slope on!

eric12

topcon makes nice lasers, the RL-H4c is nice but i wouldnt buy it if you are really going to do slope. its a nice cheap unit for basic flat work. if you want one that does slope your going to end up in the $3000- $4000 range and look into one that does both X and Y slope not just one so its more versatile.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Depends on what you want to do. I recently purchased the Topcon RL-H4C and I am happy with it. Does everything I want it to do. The range is great, setup is a snap and it's affordable. I got if for $600 with a tripod and grade rod on Ebay. I would like to have a dual slope laser but investing $3-4K right now on a laser isn't in the cards.

GFMotorsports

Heard great things about the topcon stuff so may go that route. There is a local store that carries and services them so that may be my best bet. Also do you have to get the machine mounted models or can any of there receivers be fitted on a machine easily.

lumberjack

Depends on what you want to do. I recently purchased the Topcon RL-H4C and I am happy with it. Does everything I want it to do. The range is great, setup is a snap and it's affordable. I got if for $600 with a tripod and grade rod on Ebay. I would like to have a dual slope laser but investing $3-4K right now on a laser isn't in the cards.

Looking at their website, does that one offer a slope function?

My first "major" job (hopefully) is installing 240' of 18" storm drain to replace a ditch, then filling the ditch and bringing the area to grade. Then building the driveway base and house pad. It seems like I would be best served with a dual slope laser.

eric12

My first "major" job (hopefully) is installing 240' of 18" storm drain to replace a ditch, then filling the ditch and bringing the area to grade. Then building the driveway base and house pad. It seems like I would be best served with a dual slope laser.

how are you going to use the dual slope for that job? i cant see you needing a $3000-4000 laser for that job maybe a single slope for the pipe but the driveway and pad should be pretty straight forward.

eric12

Heard great things about the topcon stuff so may go that route. There is a local store that carries and services them so that may be my best bet. Also do you have to get the machine mounted models or can any of there receivers be fitted on a machine easily.

you can use the laser on machine mounted receivers but you need to buy a machine mounted receiver and a pole to mount on the blade of your dozer or magnet mount for the side of your excavator stick

lumberjack

The pipe is single slope but the finished grade needs to direct water to the catch basins. My theory is the only disadvantage to a dual slope is the price. For doing surface drainage, dual slope seems like the way to go. I would hate to buy a cheap laser, then have to buy a more expensive laser to do something the cheap one couldn't do efficiently. Buy once cry once kinda thing.

KTE

You'll be happy with it! Except when you need to put a slope in a new parking lot and can't figure out how to put your desired slope into the laser :beatsme

GFMotorsports

Well it was explained as level it out. Walk out 10ft and start pushing buttons Til your desired slope is measuring on the stick. Or just tilt the tripod and go to manual mode lol

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation

There is a slope match function, I haven't used it yet. What % slope is your 18" pipe designed for? You can set pipe with your regular laser but it's time consuming, calculating each joint. You may want to rent a pipe laser to set the pipe. As far as grading to drain once the pipe is in that's what the bubble in the butt and the eye is for, if you don't have grade stakes.;)

Went with topcon rl-h4c didn't want to go to crazy and quality seems to be there with these units

I have been happy with mine so far. Does what I want it to do.

You'll be happy with it! Except when you need to put a slope in a new parking lot and can't figure out how to put your desired slope into the laser :beatsme

When we do parking lots the surveyors put in offsets for the curb, islands, etc with grades. Rough grade to the offsets, set some blue tops, match the grades and it's done. I have graded a many parking lots for small to medium commercial/retail buildings and never used a laser, just a 4' level and folding engineers rule to set blue tops.

Oxbow

I have a Spectra 422 dual slope that I bought used from the local Cat Rental Store for $2300. It works very well, you can set each slope digitally, and it has a remote that is very handy for making slope adjustments without going back to the laser.

You have to eyesight the direction of your slope though so I set two points off of level and then adjust the slope to dial it in.

Drawbacks - it is super sensitive. If we have the laser (aluminum tripod) set up on snow or ice and the sun warms the legs at all it will shut off due to movement. Also if ground vibrates at all with machinery walking it will shut down. These are good precautions but a pain in the butt when super precision is not required.

lumberjack

There is a slope match function, I haven't used it yet. What % slope is your 18" pipe designed for? You can set pipe with your regular laser but it's time consuming, calculating each joint. You may want to rent a pipe laser to set the pipe. As far as grading to drain once the pipe is in that's what the bubble in the butt and the eye is for, if you don't have grade stakes.;)

I have been happy with mine so far. Does what I want it to do.

When we do parking lots the surveyors put in offsets for the curb, islands, etc with grades. Rough grade to the offsets, set some blue tops, match the grades and it's done. I have graded a many parking lots for small to medium commercial/retail buildings and never used a laser, just a 4' level and folding engineers rule to set blue tops.

.5% is what I designed it for. 18" dual wall HDPE.

Why is it time consuming? I presumed you could make an adapter to fit in the invert of the pipe, punch the slope into the laser and go from there?

The UL633 works as a pipe laser too, trying to find some comparison between it and the GL522 to see what the downsides are.

I figure I can eye ball finished grade, but I certainly want to check it. The area is only 15-20' wide.

The customer is a great guy, an existing customer we've done tree work for. Still he's been known to be rather exacting regarding his houses. The masons on his last house (next door to this house) didn't lay the brick to his liking so he pre it out and hired some masons from 3-4 hours away to lay them.

Here's the ditch, the driveway's centerline is 45' from the head wall in the second picture. The .5% slope gives us 15" of cover to the base of the driveway, on the far side of the drive.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363718457.533489.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363718498.759123.jpg

Here's his last house, yes, he painted over the relaid brick.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363718654.150560.jpg

Newb question, what are blue tops? Grade stakes with blue on the top that denote finished grade?

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
.5% is what I designed it for. 18" dual wall HDPE.

Why is it time consuming? I presumed you could make an adapter to fit in the invert of the pipe, punch the slope into the laser and go from there?

If the slope is .5% I would just use a 4' level as that slope is basically level taking into the account the give and take of your bedding, etc. in that short of run. The job I am on now has a fair amount of 15" HDPE. Easy to work with compared to RCP and it's forgiving if you have to make adjustments. Just make sure you bed, haunch and backfill the pipe with proper material. Here we used #57 stone (1/4-1") clean washed stone. The backfill is an important structural part of HDPE pipe.

Let me clarify on the time consuming part, in my feeble mind I was thinking setting it with a regular laser and having to calculate each rise/fall in the joint and adjust the grade rod.:rolleyes: I have never used a tripod mount slope laser to lay pipe just standard pipe lasers.

It should be easy to set pipe with a tripod slope laser. Set the slope, account for your pipe thickness and set your bedding with the laser. I wouldn't want to do long or complicated runs as a pipe laser does two functions - slope and alignment but it would work on smaller runs that are easier to keep aligned.

Newb question, what are blue tops? Grade stakes with blue on the top that denote finished grade?

That's a good question, yes. Basically they are hardwood hubs, similar to what surveyors use for hub grades, that have blue plastic "whiskers" or "chasers" you tack on them once to grade. I use them for building pads and setting curb/gutter grades.

On a building pad, just set up your laser and reference the site benchmark to get your grade for the floor slab. When the pad is close, I have a grade checker (most times myself :cool:) set hubs in a 30' pattern or so across the slab, keeping them somewhat in a grid pattern. Then take a dozer, skid or whatever you are using and grade to the hubs between the grid.

On curb and gutter, the surveyors will set offsets - here it's usually 3' or if you know the crew they'll set them at whatever you want. Get the curb line rough graded cut or fill. For cut, take a 4' level, place on the surveyors hub and level it. Use a folding rule or tape in tenths ( Home Depot has a 25' tape in tenths and inches and the wooden engineers rule) to measure the cut. Reverse the procedure for fill, placing the level on the fill and measure to the hub.

Keep in mind what grade the surveyors are giving you. Here it's standard to give top of curb, designated as "TC". You have to calculate your curb height and any paving section to achieve the subgrade elevation.

When you are within 2 tenths or so, set your hub using the method above and tack your whisker in. I like to leave the hub a little high before I tack the whisker in. That way it gives you a little room if your whisker takes a little more "persuasion" to tack on. It's aggravating and time consuming to reset the hub because when you tacked the whisker in you pounded it too deep.

lumberjack

Excellent information! One day I'd like to come by and see your operation/do a bit of learning. Next month marks 10 years doing tree work, and I'm working on branching out into niche contracting work.

I turned in my price on the pipe, essentially $23k to go from that ditch to seeded and strawed yard. Bedding the main run of pipe with sand, 30' with 57 for the driveway (6" bed, 12" cover), concrete head walls, 1.5T of river rock per head wall to hide it/aesthetics. Two catch basins set on a foot of 57, 6" concrete apron around the grates.

He already had a price of $6500 without headwalls he thought was high.:rolleyes: A well known, established company. I learned my lesson on pricing a non spec'ed job! I imagine he did that on purpose to keep the price low and make them liable for the design.

In the same conversation, he's having me go spend 3 days at his camp house cleaning up fallen trees ($5-6k) and he wants me to get him a number of days estimate to clear the house ASAP.

Bet we don't do the dirt work for the house/drive, I'm not going to cheap out doing 3-4' of fill!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Excellent information! One day I'd like to come by and see your operation/do a bit of learning. Next month marks 10 years doing tree work, and I'm working on branching out into niche contracting work.

I turned in my price on the pipe, essentially $23k to go from that ditch to seeded and strawed yard. Bedding the main run of pipe with sand, 30' with 57 for the driveway (6" bed, 12" cover), concrete head walls, 1.5T of river rock per head wall to hide it/aesthetics. Two catch basins set on a foot of 57, 6" concrete apron around the grates.

He already had a price of $6500 without headwalls he thought was high.:rolleyes: A well known, established company. I learned my lesson on pricing a non spec'ed job! I imagine he did that on purpose to keep the price low and make them liable for the design.

Columbus isn't that far away, I need to swing by and get some pointers on taking trees down with a saw.;) I can lay'em down with a machine but my saw skills are lacking when they're already laying on the ground.

What's 57 stone going for a ton in your area? Your price sounds a little high comparing it to our prices. How many LF of pipe and what type of structures - nyoplast/ADS or pre-cast?

Is there a City/County spec for the driveway turn-out or is this a private road?