• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for New Zealand members' suggestions (maybe even Aus?)

Chopper95

Hi all,

I'm hoping to find myself in Dunedin, New Zealand for about five months or so this coming year (from February 2016 to June 2016 at the shortest) and was hoping to get some input from the Kiwi members who might be on the forum - or maybe even some of the Aussies on here.

Was just curious what the chances were of an individual being able to find some part-time work running iron in the Otago region, hopefully close to Dunedin; I'm not sure if you guys down south have special permitting or cards like the boys in Europe to run some of the bigger equipment, or if it's like here in the States where you don't need any sort of licensing or anything most of the time, unless you're into Union jobs, running cranes, mines, etc. (specialty circumstances)

I've got a couple solid years of experience running excavation equipment of all sorts, as well as agricultural equipment, and some helicopter time (not that that really applies :D) but running equipment is a passion and I would love to do it abroad if I have the chance to.

At the very least, I would love to see some real Kiwi logging / how you guys do it down south! Aussies, I'll hopefully be in Brisbane at some point, and maybe other parts of the country, if there's anything worth while to check out in regards to equipment. *Do mines do any sort of tours down there? In the U.S. it's fairly common.

If anyone has travel suggestions or ideas / stuff to see, would love to it hear it as well!

Thanks in advance, everyone!

furpo

Hi all,

I'm hoping to find myself in Dunedin, New Zealand for about five months or so this coming year (from February 2016 to June 2016 at the shortest) and was hoping to get some input from the Kiwi members who might be on the forum - or maybe even some of the Aussies on here.

Was just curious what the chances were of an individual being able to find some part-time work running iron in the Otago region, hopefully close to Dunedin; I'm not sure if you guys down south have special permitting or cards like the boys in Europe to run some of the bigger equipment, or if it's like here in the States where you don't need any sort of licensing or anything most of the time, unless you're into Union jobs, running cranes, mines, etc. (specialty circumstances)

I've got a couple solid years of experience running excavation equipment of all sorts, as well as agricultural equipment, and some helicopter time (not that that really applies :D) but running equipment is a passion and I would love to do it abroad if I have the chance to.

At the very least, I would love to see some real Kiwi logging / how you guys do it down south! Aussies, I'll hopefully be in Brisbane at some point, and maybe other parts of the country, if there's anything worth while to check out in regards to equipment. *Do mines do any sort of tours down there? In the U.S. it's fairly common.

If anyone has travel suggestions or ideas / stuff to see, would love to it hear it as well!

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Hi there

For the most part we it is not mandatory to have licenses (we have industry standard qualifications) to operate, however, if you dont have our industry qualification then most forest owners require that you be on your way to achieving it. It would be up to the employer to decide if it was worth starting you if you are only going to be here a short time. We also have what is called general requirements which is a group of lower level qualifications which is like a pass to be able to work in the bush.

The short of it is that yes you can work here with none of our qualifications but you will have to be working towards achieving them while you are here at your employers expense.

Im not from down south but there is a bit of work down there. Keep an eye on www.trademe.co.nz as jobs are listed there frequently.

If you have a truck license then an idea would be to get your international license which would allow you to drive both here and in Aussy.