• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for drop deck...

crane operator

My semi sure doesn't drink at $2 a miles more like $.50 empty and $1.00 hauling

It may not cost you $2 a mile for just fuel in one trip, but its going to cost you that minimum with the upkeep. Tires, fluids and repairs all add up and you have to figure that in the cost. A blown tire on the side of the road will cost you $800 between the tire and the roadside charge.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
How tall is your conex? Or are you more concerned about the deck height when it comes time to load and unload it?
Both, since I don't have fork lift nor any equipment yet and won't for sometime to lift that high up and ramps would be asking for trouble. The conex is 9.5 ft. tall.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
have to throw my two cents in this. what about license & insurence costs as well as trip permits. have not heard any mention of those
Insurance I haven't problem with that. As for license as in registration that is covered under my semi registration up to 50k lbs. Might pull a trip permit for a safety net. All this is under farm use since it isn't commercial as I am not making money off it.

Truck Shop

There is one in Bend Or on CL for $15,000 that most likely needs no work, make an offer for less.

mitch504

keep in mind when you start crossing state lines, even with farm tags, you are subject to each state's rules. you will have to have a permit for each state you enter, and don't forget fuel tax for each state. What is the operating radius on your insurance? I bought a trailer in Michigan

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
keep in mind when you start crossing state lines, even with farm tags, you are subject to each state's rules. you will have to have a permit for each state you enter, and don't forget fuel tax for each state. What is the operating radius on your insurance? I bought a trailer in Michigan
I have commercial insurance through Progressive with no known radius though the semi is registered under farm use in Montana, doesn't say farm us on the plates and this is a private vehicle, nothing commercially done. I even managed to pull off getting Army Veteran license plates on this rig. As far as the whole fuel tax they can kiss my arse, not like I'm doing this everyday just two trips then it will spend it's days hauling supplies as needed to build my homestead and whatever projects that I conjure up over the years.
Not getting into trucking business.

Truck Shop

Every port of entry will pull you in then they will instruct you on what's needed or not needed.

Truck Shop

Port scales never close and running around them brings unwanted attention. Local cops look for out of state plates.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned

Truck Shop

Why yes it will, there is one of the same for sale locally for the same price. Just add a bolster plate and pin. It will probably do every thing you need. Plus a bunch closer for you.

Truck Shop

I saw the one in K-Falls and the one in Spokane last night. That one in K-Falls had to be just listed-I look there three times a week for non compliant California trucks.
Looks like a good trailer you bought.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I saw the one in K-Falls and the one in Spokane last night. That one in K-Falls had to be just listed-I look there three times a week for non compliant California trucks.
Looks like a good trailer you bought.
Yeah it was and I almost had one for $3k that seemed to be worn down some from same person, but like one other it was sold few hours ago. I like this one comes with sliding winches and on the route not too far off.
Just don’t forget to add an electric brake controller to the truck for trailer brakes
I will as I have on my current rig and run a 7 wire out the back to charge a battery for winch and to have back up/work lights.

crane operator

My gooseneck trailer has a round pipe neck, this is my semi truck adapter. You can do the same thing with square tubing. Just make sure your trailer neck is long enough that you don't catch the trailer on your rear tandems. May have to slide your 5th wheel back.

20200813_123341.jpg 20200813_123351.jpg