• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for demo work along the Jersey shore prefer the southern end.

srb215

We are a small Landclearing & Demolition company in south Jersey looking for some Sandy related work. We are Insured and have a HIC License, not bonded but can be. We have a backhoe, CUT (compact utilty tractor). We rent any big equipment, once again we are a small company. Any contacts or tips on how to get some work down there would be nice.
Thanks for your time.
Steve.

Wolf

What kind of demo experience do you have in the past, or are you looking to get into something new?

What licenses do you hold, Steve? Hazmat?

srb215

We mostly do Land Clearing, Have done some residental Demo. Nj really has no requirements for being a demo contractor. We do have a Home Improvement Contrators License which you need for Almost any kind of contractor work in NJ. No Hazmat.

Beachbum0286

My suggestion would be to at least get your hazwoper cert. We're looking into getting some work from this clean-up however it is as usual not what you know but who you know. Rumor on the street is Conti got a large contract from fema to clean-up so if you know anyone from them it would help.

srb215

Thanks for your input. As always the big guy's get all the good work.

joispoi

If you're sitting at home with nothing to do, how about volunteering? I have friends that have been volunteering their time at Breezy Point. There are many people who have lost everything and desperately need help. It wouldn't be a place to sell your services, but if your truck parked there with your name on it, it's good visibility and it could open some doors for you for some private work.

If you're looking to contract with FEMA, my understanding is that you work now and get paid......................................................................... .......................................................................................................................................(well you get the idea)...............later.

Wolf

Isn't that.what makes Jersey:: :.................well, Jersey. It's one of a.kind.

Well, maybe similar to Rhode Island, for similar reasons.

Good luck. Hope you land some nice demo work in spite of it all.

srb215

I would be more then happy to volunteer, unfortunately cannot afford to.

mitch504

I know nothing about Joisey, but, being from the southeast coast, I'm passin' familiar w/ the post-storm world. ;)

FEMA usually gives a huge contract a company, (and as a matter of fact, there is a pre-existing contract for every area), and then it gets handed off to several smaller subs, who split it among many sub-subs, and then sub-sub-subs, and so on, ad nauseum.

The higher up this chain you are, the better. Everybody holds the money a little while, leading to the fabled looong waits for payment. Some of the sub-sub-subs only release all your money when the judge says too, then the lawyers get it.

Before I downsized, I had a standing contract w/ the Co. the had the standing contract w/ FEMA for my area, and the money came right in.

srb215

Hey I am from SOUTH JERSEY we don't talk like those idiots from the jersey shore show down here. Anyway thanks for the info. We were figuring only the big boys or select few would get all the work. sucks being the little guy.

Beachbum0286

Again rumor has it its something like a 600 million dollar contract with a 6 month term. I know they are looking for subs right now as they do not have nearly enough people to do the work but there are a lot of idle contractors out there right now.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I know nothing about Joisey, but, being from the southeast coast, I'm passin' familiar w/ the post-storm world. ;)

FEMA usually gives a huge contract a company, (and as a matter of fact, there is a pre-existing contract for every area), and then it gets handed off to several smaller subs, who split it among many sub-subs, and then sub-sub-subs, and so on, ad nauseum.

The higher up this chain you are, the better. Everybody holds the money a little while, leading to the fabled looong waits for payment. Some of the sub-sub-subs only release all your money when the judge says too, then the lawyers get it.

Fellow contractors that I know who have performed tornado clean-up under FEMA sponsored programs pretty much went through the same thing and none of them would do it again.:cool:

When the April 2011 tornados hit our area FEMA was paying $20 something dollars a yard (IIRC) to the primary contractor to remove debris from the ROW. When it got down to the poor sub-sub-sub-etc the payment was $8 per yard. This included loading and hauling, dodging down power lines and being back charged for any damage, scuffing, etc of the pavement and curbs. It was a money loosing operation for the guys actually doing the work and payment was slow.

srb215

So what I am gathering is that the only people who benifit from FEMA is are the storm damaged homeowners, etc. As long as you are not the primary contractor you might as well not bother. Once again the small business operators gets the shaft!!! Thanks for everyones input.

hooter

I rent Cat iron in NJ & along with Conti, the prime FEMA contractor is AshBritt out of FL ( Think he is aligned w/Nobama). Google; many lawsuits still festering from Katrina cleanup! All the major contractors in NJ are working on Sandy stuff. IEW, from Trenton, has the emergency response contract w/NJ. Other biggies are Pierson, Kline out of Absecon, Ferreira, Sambol. Glad to pass along further info as I get it.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Hey I am from SOUTH JERSEY we don't talk like those idiots from the jersey shore show down here. Anyway thanks for the info. We were figuring only the big boys or select few would get all the work. sucks being the little guy.

Actually the morons on that show are from NY, not any part of NJ.