• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking For a Truckers Opinion.

YoungOne

I have been thinking lately. As i realize that it is going to be hard to move to northern virginia due to the cost of living etc. etc. As most of you know i am thinking about going to get my CDL's and everything. I was at work last night ( yeah damn wal-mart ) And i got to thinking.

Since i live with my parents at home right now, and they have room. And their pretty much telling me " your not going anywhere " And i'm giving them the " I'm an adult too, I'm old enough to go to war, i'm old enough to move! " And then they backdown a bit, considering i am in the army and it's a real chance! lol.

But if i got my CDL's and trucked for someone else for a while, moving equipment, or trucking cross-state/ cross country. And just pocketed the money that i would be bringing in. Since all i have to pay is insurance etc. Since I paid my car off. And a cell phone bill. I could eventually save enough money to start paying on 2-3 acres of land, put a house there. And eventually go into buying my own truck/lowboy/equipment. And make it in the construction business also.

Idea's/ opinions would be greatly appreciated. How hard is the trucker life?

-Michael-

nedly05

How old are you? You can get your class B CDL at 18 but you need to be 21 to get your Class A. (in NY at least)

sbrem

How old are you? You can get your class B CDL at 18 but you need to be 21 to get your Class A. (in NY at least)

I think thats only a NY thing. Here in VT I got my class A at 18, but like Steve said its only good in state until 21.

Truckie

Same thing here in Pa. You can get a CDL class A at 18 but can not cross the state line with the commercial truck till you are 21.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
class-a restrictions

I don't know about other states but in VT if you take the test with a pintle hook trailer then you can't pull a fifth-wheel trailer. But if you take the test with a fifth-wheel trailer you can drive them all. Just beware of little things like that.

This is a link from VT, Page six in the Non-Tractor Semi-trailer units section

http://www.aot.state.vt.us/dmv/docu...111CDL2006DRIVERMANUALFinal081506version_.pdf

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I got my chauffeur's license here in NY at age 18, I'm not sure about that 21 requirement. I do know you are restricted from interstate driving until 21.

DBGoalie

Occupation
Network Admin
Young one, please don't take this as me trying to discourage you or take it as me telling you it can't be done. I am just one man with an opinion, and you take it for what it's worth. (and I am sure you know what they say about opinions and #$%holes, everybody has one)

I definitely admire your enthusiasm, and we were all 18 at one point in our lives and thought we were wise to the world. But put yourself in the company or owner's postion. How many places / owners are willing to put an 18 year old behind the wheel of a vehicle that weighs in at 50,000, 60,000, 70,000 pounds? Personally, I couldn't imagine it. You may be able to go out on your own, purchasing your own vehicle, but if you carry car insurance on your own, you know that there is a HUGE hit prior to age 25; once you hit 25, your rates come down in a big way. I waited until I was 25 to purchase a new vehicle; I knew that there was no way I could afford insurance on a new car until I hit 25. Commercial vehicle insurance, small business insurance, for an 18 year old, the premium would have to be astronomical if you could even find someone to write the policy.

I do admire your enthusiasm and am a big believer that if you want something bad enough, you can get it. But I think you are going to have a hard time finding someone who will put you behind the wheel of a commercial vehicle at your age. Have you thought about working for a landscaping company, maybe a large outfit that has some vehicles that they tow trailers with? Some of the larger companies in this area are equipped with Ford Super Duty's that pull 2 axle trailers with electric brakes; they are light enough to not require a CDL. The landscapers always need people with drivers licenses that don't have any moving violations, people that will show up day in and day out on time and ready to work. I would imagine that if that's you, in a few months you could practically run a landscaping crew. That would look real good on your resume and would lead into some bigger and better positions. Think about it, most landscaping crews are made up of hispanic laborers that don't have a driver's license; they almost always have one US citizen as the driver / crew leader.

You are definitely in the catch-22; you need experience to get hired, but how do you get the experience? You have time, at 18, you have all the time in the world. Start small, go to work as a laborer or landscaper, and let the owners know you are motivated. A lot of guys say they are, and then they disappear after the first payday. Speak with your actions, don't expect to be operating a trackhoe in your second week, and pulling the low boy in the first month. You may need to labor for a year, but if you show up every day on time, not hung over, and pay attention, you will move up.

Good luck, I sincerely mean that. Keep posting, I would like to know how you make out. I myself am 37, but am close to pulling the trigger on doing striking out on my own with some sort of transportation business here in the southeast section of PA. I am targeting the spring of 2008, so I know how you feel. Anxious, ready to change the world, ready to jump in and get started. But start small, it will come to you.

YoungOne

Young one, please don't take this as me trying to discourage you or take it as me telling you it can't be done. I am just one man with an opinion, and you take it for what it's worth. (and I am sure you know what they say about opinions and #$%holes, everybody has one)

I definitely admire your enthusiasm, and we were all 18 at one point in our lives and thought we were wise to the world. But put yourself in the company or owner's postion. How many places / owners are willing to put an 18 year old behind the wheel of a vehicle that weighs in at 50,000, 60,000, 70,000 pounds? Personally, I couldn't imagine it. You may be able to go out on your own, purchasing your own vehicle, but if you carry car insurance on your own, you know that there is a HUGE hit prior to age 25; once you hit 25, your rates come down in a big way. I waited until I was 25 to purchase a new vehicle; I knew that there was no way I could afford insurance on a new car until I hit 25. Commercial vehicle insurance, small business insurance, for an 18 year old, the premium would have to be astronomical if you could even find someone to write the policy.

I do admire your enthusiasm and am a big believer that if you want something bad enough, you can get it. But I think you are going to have a hard time finding someone who will put you behind the wheel of a commercial vehicle at your age. Have you thought about working for a landscaping company, maybe a large outfit that has some vehicles that they tow trailers with? Some of the larger companies in this area are equipped with Ford Super Duty's that pull 2 axle trailers with electric brakes; they are light enough to not require a CDL. The landscapers always need people with drivers licenses that don't have any moving violations, people that will show up day in and day out on time and ready to work. I would imagine that if that's you, in a few months you could practically run a landscaping crew. That would look real good on your resume and would lead into some bigger and better positions. Think about it, most landscaping crews are made up of hispanic laborers that don't have a driver's license; they almost always have one US citizen as the driver / crew leader.

You are definitely in the catch-22; you need experience to get hired, but how do you get the experience? You have time, at 18, you have all the time in the world. Start small, go to work as a laborer or landscaper, and let the owners know you are motivated. A lot of guys say they are, and then they disappear after the first payday. Speak with your actions, don't expect to be operating a trackhoe in your second week, and pulling the low boy in the first month. You may need to labor for a year, but if you show up every day on time, not hung over, and pay attention, you will move up.

Good luck, I sincerely mean that. Keep posting, I would like to know how you make out. I myself am 37, but am close to pulling the trigger on doing striking out on my own with some sort of transportation business here in the southeast section of PA. I am targeting the spring of 2008, so I know how you feel. Anxious, ready to change the world, ready to jump in and get started. But start small, it will come to you.

I cannot tell you how much i appreciate this post. Not only because you took time to make it, and put thought into it but because your an older and experienced than me. Your an adult, i realize that i am too. But it's time for me to get into the big man world. And make it while young, instead of struggling while i am older.

I realize that it will be hard to find a company that will put me behind a 25/35 ton truck. But i'll tell any man. Put a dollar into me. And i will make you two dollars later. Hand me a shovel and i'll work 100 hours a week or until you MAKE me go home. I'm not one of those young adults that want to go out and party, hangout with friends and drink/stay hungover all the time. I dont/ will never drink/ smoke. That's something different about me. I want to work. I dont want to play:D

This is Me.

A Soldier :usa
Motivated, Enthusiastic.
Young but promising.

I guess i have been lucky as far as the car insurance goes. I'm a soldier i pay not even a hundred dollars a month for full coverage. Being eighteen year old, a male driving a red car. I'm really happy about that. I joined the ARMY National Guard because i knew that i could be a soldier, and help the world. While still trying to make it in life myself. My personal quote has always been since the age of eleven " You Dont Win Silver, You Lose Gold. " If you dont give everything you have in the beginning to end. You'll never have anything to give at the end. See what i am saying?

I've thought of everything to do. I'm young, When i get to be an older adult. I want to own a lowboy service and a excavating company capable of doing ALL site prep. For ANY size job. Big dreams i know. But if man can think man can do:D

I try not to tell myself I should get that damn truck and excavator off my mind. And put myself in college that the ARMY will pay for. I graduated highschool with a 3.86 GPA and all I can think about doing is excavating/ hauling. Why is this? Is something wrong with me?:beatsme

Being 18 years old i really dont think i have all the time in the world. No offense to those that do do it. Because i live with two parents that are barely making it.And I dont want to live paycheck to paycheck. And i have to use what i have to sometimes help them. Which slows me down but i have an " do for someone else, then yourself " Attitude. And I dont want to live paycheck to paycheck. If i get started now, if i can convince someone for a chance. To put a shovel in my hand, a lawnmower/ a truck/ a tamper/ anything. That i will make something out of it one day. I'll turn that shovel into an excavator. That tamper into a roller. That anything into a lifestyle. I'll give it all up for a chance. This is coming from an 18 year old that wants to experience WAR, real life, and i want to give back to someone someday. And give somebody like me the same chance one day. One day.

Goals.

A Start
Small Bit of Land
House
First piece of equipment/ANYTHING to haul it with.
Start a mobile home/ building development somewhere.

Biggest Goal in Life
Beat The Odds. Make it in life.

I think i appreciate your post most because I take it as more motivation/ alot of help for me. I know what i want to do. Just gotta find that path and take off on it.

I dont need a woman in my life right now. Or kids. I'll take those after I know that i have what it takes to support them. I love my parents to death. But they wont tell me they would change alot of things. But i know that they would. And i'm ready to learn from those mistakes.

One chance. Is what i need, and I am waiting for it to smack me in the face right now.

-Michael- Thank you!

HOAAA!:usa

JDOFMEMI

Michael

Great to hear from a younger man motivated and intrerested in this buisiness. Set your goals high, and do everything you can to reach them. I hear a lot of my younger self in your post. My advice is to get a job with a small to mid size grading company, and then become friends with the owner, estimator, and project managers. On your own time, spend time with them and PAY ATTENTION to all of the thins they say and do. You will have a huge head start on others your age by listening to the voice of experience. This will reap rewards by being in a position to learn the management side of things early on. Most workers can do the work, but your buisiness will struggle or fail if you don't know and understant the buisiness end as well.
Best advice I got when your age was to get a job doing what I enjoy. I have done that, and am currently in the position you are aspiring to. You can do it, just be sure to keep on track. Stay away from people influencing you to go out and party. If you are going to succeed, you need to be focused on the goal. Do all the jobs, especialy the hard ones that no one else wants. When you are finally the boss, you will get more respect when you have been there and are willing to do any job thats needed.
Don't think that there is something wrong because you got good grades and do not wish to do the college route and a desk job. This buisiness needs smart individuals in it, and there is a shortage of people your age getting in the buisiness. Mostly the ones that can't do anything else. The smart talented people are fewer now than ever before in this buisiness, and you will be able to rise to the top relatively quickly with hard work and a good attitude.
I would hire a man your age right away if he shows me an attitude like you have in your post.

Good luck:usa

YoungOne

Michael

Great to hear from a younger man motivated and intrerested in this buisiness. Set your goals high, and do everything you can to reach them. I hear a lot of my younger self in your post. My advice is to get a job with a small to mid size grading company, and then become friends with the owner, estimator, and project managers. On your own time, spend time with them and PAY ATTENTION to all of the thins they say and do. You will have a huge head start on others your age by listening to the voice of experience. This will reap rewards by being in a position to learn the management side of things early on. Most workers can do the work, but your buisiness will struggle or fail if you don't know and understant the buisiness end as well.
Best advice I got when your age was to get a job doing what I enjoy. I have done that, and am currently in the position you are aspiring to. You can do it, just be sure to keep on track. Stay away from people influencing you to go out and party. If you are going to succeed, you need to be focused on the goal. Do all the jobs, especialy the hard ones that no one else wants. When you are finally the boss, you will get more respect when you have been there and are willing to do any job thats needed.
Don't think that there is something wrong because you got good grades and do not wish to do the college route and a desk job. This buisiness needs smart individuals in it, and there is a shortage of people your age getting in the buisiness. Mostly the ones that can't do anything else. The smart talented people are fewer now than ever before in this buisiness, and you will be able to rise to the top relatively quickly with hard work and a good attitude.
I would hire a man your age right away if he shows me an attitude like you have in your post.

Good luck:usa

Thanks for the long post.

Interested in the business wouldn't be the word for it. It's more of a " Gosh i want to do this and i'm going to do this kind of thing " Right now i would labor with a shovel for minimum wage. Pour concrete, anything. Willing to work for almost nothing with a shot at getting better chance one day.

Just hoping that I can spend a long while with one company working YEAR round. 51 weeks a year. And work through christmas if i have too. Work with a company that will understand and respect that i want to have an inner drive inside me. That tells me i can make it past what i have now. Not that there is anything wrong with it, But I CAN learn and start to operate and work my ass off for another man.

This is the kind of owner i want to be one day.

Plenty of help on a hot summer day. " Hey so and so take a break. I can pour that. " Taking good care of the people I am either working WITH, Or have working for me. Making sure if they need time off because their wife is pregnant and has to be at a doctors appointment. He needs to be there i wont be an ******* owner. Always considering myself as an employee myself. Because there is life outside of excavating.

But for me right now, i wish there wasnt one. I'll tell a man " I'll sleep in the dozer for the night. " I am willing to make this business my life right now, willing to take all my time and put into it. It makes me feel good that i have neighbours that own equipment but not companies. Just stuff they use on their land etc. And if they need something done they will come to me and see if i can help. And i'll do it for free most of the time. Unless they really insist. Because not only am i helping a neighbour but i am learning. And just them coming to me knowing i'll work to learn.

I'm young. And I constantly think that that is what is hurting me right now. No one around here is willing to take a chance with an eightteen year old that they think won't work. Most young adults my age wouldnt. I'll be the first to say that. But you never know until you try. That's why it really makes no sense for me to put in applications over the internet. I need to talk to whoever doing the hiring and say " I have alot to learn sir/ma'am. But if you're willing to teach me something while we work. Then i'll break my back every day doing something for you. " Does age really have that big of factor? I know that their is a shortage of people coming out of highschool, and wanting to get into this business. I'm willing to be the underdog or he that stands out. The one that works through his lunch break when his lunch would cost more than he would be making for that half hour anyways.

I'm willing to work. Being 18 or not.

Well it's time for me to go to that wal-mart place again :( :( :(

-Michael-

HOOAh!:usa

littledenny

Occupation
Owner, 2Vets, LLC
Young One:

You mentioned belonging to the guard. What MOS?

I'd advise getting with your Platoon Daddy/First Shirt and ask/beg/demand to get a military license for everything in the motor pool. Most units have something to drive, many units have lots of things to drive, and there is always a shortage of drivers for the convoys to summer training. While this will not help you with a civilian CDL, it's good experience. A secondary MOS of 88M or one of the maintenance MOSs will be a leg up for promotion points. Especially in a non - TC unit, a qualified driver is a valuable asset.

To answer the other question, the military routinely puts 18 year olds in big trucks, I've had several in tractor trailers, up to and including HETS. And you can drive any military vehicle you're licensed for, in all 50 states, regardless of any state laws.

DBGoalie

Occupation
Network Admin
You definitely have an advantage being an active member of armed forces. (By the way, I thank you for your service)

You will have options available to you through the VA for loans, insurance, etc, all the things to help you get started with your own business when you can go that route. But for now, I think the other guys have given you sound advice. Work for a mid sized company if you can, start out as a laborer. The people in charge will realize soon enough that you are genuinely interested in moving up. One thing I have found, almost everyone likes to talk about what they do at work and show people who take an interest in what they do how they are doing it.

Good luck, keep posting, I'm definitely interested to see how things work out. May not be today, or tomorrow, but it can happen for you. Keep plugging away.

DB

YoungOne

Young One:

You mentioned belonging to the guard. What MOS?

I'd advise getting with your Platoon Daddy/First Shirt and ask/beg/demand to get a military license for everything in the motor pool. Most units have something to drive, many units have lots of things to drive, and there is always a shortage of drivers for the convoys to summer training. While this will not help you with a civilian CDL, it's good experience. A secondary MOS of 88M or one of the maintenance MOSs will be a leg up for promotion points. Especially in a non - TC unit, a qualified driver is a valuable asset.

To answer the other question, the military routinely puts 18 year olds in big trucks, I've had several in tractor trailers, up to and including HETS. And you can drive any military vehicle you're licensed for, in all 50 states, regardless of any state laws.

21 Juliet. ( General Heavy equipment operator. ) i'm in a non-deployable unit. CAN YOU SAY BORING! And we are a quarry unit, and i have the great job of running the d7 dozer:D

Yes i am going to try to go to 88 M school.

Thanks.

-Michael-

YoungOne

:(
You definitely have an advantage being an active member of armed forces. (By the way, I thank you for your service)

You will have options available to you through the VA for loans, insurance, etc, all the things to help you get started with your own business when you can go that route. But for now, I think the other guys have given you sound advice. Work for a mid sized company if you can, start out as a laborer. The people in charge will realize soon enough that you are genuinely interested in moving up. One thing I have found, almost everyone likes to talk about what they do at work and show people who take an interest in what they do how they are doing it.

Good luck, keep posting, I'm definitely interested to see how things work out. May not be today, or tomorrow, but it can happen for you. Keep plugging away.

DB

Your welcome for serving. Thanks for appreciating what we do.

Yeah i have been calling everywhere from land clearing companies. To strictly interstate building companies, lawn services. Everything.

I actually look forward to being a laborer:D

Thanks man, i'll definately keep posting.

-Michael-

Note to self I hate my job.

69 hours in 5 days.
Wal-Mart sucks.

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
YoungOne, with determination like yours (reminds me of myself,) you'll do fine. Just remember that you have a whole lifetime ahead of you to do everything. No sense in rushing into it. I can speak from experience in saying if you act TOO ambitious to a prospective employer at the age you're at now, many will be reluctant because of your nervousness. Keep it cool.

Good luck.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
Another route

Young One,

There is another option that might help you jump start into driving. As much as this goes against my grain. Driver training schools, A LOT of the trucking companies out there do not ask about age or experience anymore, the first question I got when I applied was when did you graduate from driver school. If you go to one and then get your CDL, just use you head, pay attention, and you could advance rapidly. You sound like you've given this a lot of thought and aren't just jumping into this so I think you'd be a good one for this option. When I started out with my cdl I was 19 had a hazmat endorsement driving oil truck. At 20 I moved up to redi-mix concrete did that for 2 year, then quarry where I managed to stay in trucks some along with equipment, from there I went to what we called "Plant maintenance" my boss and I where responsible for keeping all the buildings up and running for the concrete company I was working for. Still managed to stay in some trucks during that period. that was another year. I was then tranfered to Pre-cast delivery and that sort of work. At 27 I was now driving a truck that was worth a quarter of a million dollars and responsible for making deliverys of materials and pre-cast up around 33,000 lbs. After those seven years I finally left that company and spent 8 months driving/operating a Hi-rail log truck. Got a break and now at 29 I'm what is called an "assistant supervisor". Which means not the boss but I'm not the bottom anymore, and there's only three of us assigned to my truck. So for one week a month I'm the boss and responsible for Operation, Maintenance, everything else on a truck that values at just under 2 Million dollars. While I got my start by pure luck (I started out at the oil company just pulling a hose for a older man who had twisted his Knee and needed help during the winter when they where the busiest. And after a couple years the boss let me take one of the trucks to do my driving test with). I studied and payed for the test myself. After that it was just paying attention, Learn what you're doing and just push to improve yourself.

IMHO- If you can get your cdl and just keep at it there's nothing you can't accomplish no matter how old you are.:usa

Last edited:

YoungOne

Young One,

There is another option that might help you jump start into driving. As much as this goes against my grain. Driver training schools, A LOT of the trucking companies out there do not ask about age or experience anymore, the first question I got when I applied was when did you graduate from driver school. If you go to one and then get your CDL, just use you head, pay attention, and you could advance rapidly. You sound like you've given this a lot of thought and aren't just jumping into this so I think you'd be a good one for this option. When I started out with my cdl I was 19 had a hazmat endorsement driving oil truck. At 20 I moved up to redi-mix concrete did that for 2 year, then quarry where I managed to stay in trucks some along with equipment, from there I went to what we called "Plant maintenance" my boss and I where responsible for keeping all the buildings up and running for the concrete company I was working for. Still managed to stay in some trucks during that period. that was another year. I was then tranfered to Pre-cast delivery and that sort of work. At 27 I was now driving a truck that was worth a quarter of a million dollars and responsible for making deliverys of materials and pre-cast up around 33,000 lbs. After those seven years I finally left that company and spent 8 months driving/operating a Hi-rail log truck. Got a break and now at 29 I'm what is called an "assistant supervisor". Which means not the boss but I'm not the bottom anymore, and there's only three of us assigned to my truck. So for one week a month I'm the boss and responsible for Operation, Maintenance, everything else on a truck that values at just under 2 Million dollars. While I got my start by pure luck (I started out at the oil company just pulling a hose for a older man who had twisted his Knee and needed help during the winter when they where the busiest. And after a couple years the boss let me take one of the trucks to do my driving test with). I studied and payed for the test myself. After that it was just paying attention, Learn what you're doing and just push to improve yourself.

IMHO- If you can get your cdl and just keep at it there's nothing you can't accomplish no matter how old you are.:usa

Thanks lowboy/95 for your posts.

Lowboy what does it take to start a lowboy service like yours?

95 your right. Even though i mostly plan on getting my cdl. To help me make a little bit of money and make it into the construction business. Anywhere. at anypoint. I'll carry that hose around for a driver that can't:D

Problem is. Around here even the bottom isn't an option:( unless i move. But i'm going to keep looking. Keep talking to people. Keep calling!

-Michael-

HOAAh!:usa