• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for a smaller telehandler

Telkwa

Good day!
Haven't been here in a while. I work at a thermo-electric generating facility. We have a couple of forklifts. A little 'traditional' Hyster and a medium-large Mustang 1155.

The problem is the Mustang. It's a high boom pivot model, about 10,000 # max capacity. Most of our work is just moving pallets and stuff around. We don't do a lot of high overhead work with it, but of course it's invaluable when those jobs do come along. Our company has become very anal about accidents. I told my boss the other day that the Mustang is a rolling experiment in probability statistics. Visibility to the right rear is non-existent, and it's just too danged big for lots of places we try to go. Accidents are gonna happen. It's just a question of how often. Of course they don't want to hear that. They think if they beat us over the head enough that accidents will go to zero even if they haven't given us the right tools.

I've been poking around online. It seems that there are certain types of work more suited to high boom pivot teleforks, and some work is better suited to low boom pivot models.

To me (and I'll admit I don't know much about it) we need to add a small low-boom pivot telefork to the mix. I think the smallest JLG or Genie or etc. would do 85% of what we try to do with the Mustang, and result in less accidents caused by the combination of crappy visibility and size.

I'd appreciate any comments. I'm trying to work up a presentation to the boss and need to be as well-informed as possible.

Telkwa

Yeah, I printed out the info on the small Genie, the GTH-5519. We had a larger Genie this spring, brought in as a rental for a cooling tower overhaul. It was roughly the size of our Mustang. The one thing I liked about it over the Mustang was the fork tilt. On the Genie, you could feather the fork tilt. With the Mustang, it's just an electric switch, and fork tilt is very herky-jerky.

I've also got the online literature for the Cat TH255, which looks very interesting. We have a Cat dealership in town, and a lot of our machinery is Cat. The Cats are made by JLG, right? Not identical to the JLG offerings, but still built by them? I notice that many of the bigger Cat telehandlers have a low boom pivot design, which seems much more appropriate for what we do. Their TH514 (can't tell the difference between the 514 & the 514C) is very similar to our Mustang in size & max payload, but the visibility seems to be vastly superior on the Cat because of the low boom pivot. Most of the stuff we move around is on pallets, and we end up carrying 3 or 4 feet off the ground just so we can get a peek at what's ahead and to the right. Seems dumb to me.

Last edited:

Dualie

the 6K cat i have on rent right now might be the worst machine i have ever been in as far as right side visability is concerned

Telkwa

the 6K cat i have on rent right now might be the worst machine i have ever been in as far as right side visability is concerned

What's the model #? And what are you doing with it? From what I've gathered off the internet, rough sites and awkward loads may require the operator to run with the load up higher. With a high boom pivot, the operator would be able to see underneath the boom. For the most part our roads are maintained and we can carry loads low. If you try to carry an average pallet load low with our Mustang, you literally cannot see anything from about 2:00 to 7:00 because of the fairly large 3-section boom and the high pivot. It seems to me like a low boom pivot would be more appropriate for our work. I don't know this because I've never driven a low pivot machine; it just appears that way from what I've googled so far.

barklee

What's the model #? And what are you doing with it? From what I've gathered off the internet, rough sites and awkward loads may require the operator to run with the load up higher. With a high boom pivot, the operator would be able to see underneath the boom. For the most part our roads are maintained and we can carry loads low. If you try to carry an average pallet load low with our Mustang, you literally cannot see anything from about 2:00 to 7:00 because of the fairly large 3-section boom and the high pivot. It seems to me like a low boom pivot would be more appropriate for our work. I don't know this because I've never driven a low pivot machine; it just appears that way from what I've googled so far.

That low boom machine is big thing to get used to....... I had a Gehl/ Mustang 1155 low boom for about one year and got rid of it. I just did not like that low boom, its either too low to be safe or too high and it defeats the purpose and isnt really all that safe. I have also ran a few Cat low boom machines and did not like those either. I personally would not recommend one at all. I think if you took a little time and ran a few standard machines you would find a machine that has the right field of vision you are requiring. Not to be rude but if you are basing all of your reason to purchase off of that Mustang i can see why you want to look elsewhere. I was not impressed with the machine i had. Terrible right side sight (low or high), poor load chart, light in the rear picking any kind of substantial weight, expensive parts and low resale. I think there are several better options out there, not that they arent a decent machine but for the money there are better options.
If you dont need a tight compact design i would vote for a Skytrak 6036, great machine very versatile. If you need a compact i would say a Genie 5519 or maybe the JCB 515 or 520. Whatever you do make sure you run one first. Every machine has such a different feel and its too hard to generalize. That would have saved me alot of time and bother more than once!
Good luck

Dualie

I think its A TL642C with the stabilizers. The job site is hilly with a lot of protected trees that i cant get up into and do damage to. Smooth site for the most part its a remodel site with paved access on all sides.

I carry the boom low 90% of the time. But in order to see on the right side of the machine you have to have the boom over 50 deg. The other thing i have learned to hate about it is that the shifter has gone wack for the third time in 3 months. and i been putting less than 100 hours on the damn thing. The rental company has been pretty good about coming out and fixing it but its still a PITA and usually means a lost days production.

Telkwa

I had a Gehl/ Mustang 1155 low boom for about one year and got rid of it. I just did not like that low boom, its either too low to be safe or too high and it defeats the purpose and isnt really all that safe. I have also ran a few Cat low boom machines and did not like those either. I personally would not recommend one at all.

....if you are basing all of your reason to purchase off of that Mustang i can see why you want to look elsewhere. I was not impressed with the machine i had. Terrible right side sight (low or high), poor load chart, light in the rear picking any kind of substantial weight, expensive parts and low resale. I think there are several better options out there, not that they arent a decent machine but for the money there are better options.

....Whatever you do make sure you run one first. Every machine has such a different feel and its too hard to generalize. That would have saved me alot of time and bother more than once!

I don't have any hands-on experience other than our Mustang and a few hours on that rental Genie. That's why I'm here asking for input.

I'm just an operator at our facility. Decisions on equipment purchases are way over my pay grade, but I'm still gonna take a shot at persuading someone that we need to take another look at our forklift "fleet". My guess is they bought the Mustang 'cause they thought it was cheap, not because they really dug into questions of value, operating cost, resale, etc.

We have cranes, vac trucks, loaders, dump trucks and various other implements of destruction. The big mobile cranes get all the attention even though they may only do a handful of picks in a week. The forklifts scamper around the plant all day long, but nobody wants to deal with the problems that come up. Until somebody hits something. Then management is focused like a laser beam.

Last edited:

Telkwa

I think its A TL642C

OK, I google imaged TL642. I see what you mean. It's a high-boom pivot with a 3-section boom that's fairly tall ("tall" as in the vertical thickness of the boom, not reach). Very similar to our Mustang from what I can tell. If you pick a typical pallet load a foot or two off the ground all you see to your right is boom, correct? I do the same thing you describe with our Mustang, especially if I'm coming up on one of the gentle right-hand turns around our site. I'll slow down and lift the load way higher than I want to just to get a peek around the bend. I hate doing that!

Dualie

anything from 2' to 10' off the ground with shorter boom extension keeps the right side of the machine completely out of view. Even if you have the boom elevated over 40 deg the mirror shakes so bad its pretty much useless.

Kingston

Occupation
Spires & Co.
Telkwa,

I have a CAT TH220B. They do not really make a machine equivalent to this anymore. As telehandlers go, it has pretty good visibility, it's super maneuverable, strong and quick. Comparing it to a TH460B or equivalent tripple boom 10K machine where as visibility is concerned, there is no comparison. The bigger machines require a huge organized site or a spotter.

icestationzebra

Like barklee said, they low boom machines tend to be over rated. If the boom is low enough to look over, then the forks are too close to the ground. Then you have to raise it way in the air to see under it. One potential bad spot with high booms though is the long gooseneck - it can get in the way if you are lifting under something like rafters, bridge deck, etc.

ISZ

barklee

Like barklee said, they low boom machines tend to be over rated. If the boom is low enough to look over, then the forks are too close to the ground. Then you have to raise it way in the air to see under it. One potential bad spot with high booms though is the long gooseneck - it can get in the way if you are lifting under something like rafters, bridge deck, etc.

ISZ

You took the words right out of my mouth with the longer gooseneck. I was just running our IR 1056 today and noticed that. Still for the tradeoff i would stay with the larger frame highboom........

norite

I like the small genie boom myself. I was on a job last year with manitou's, selleck's, jlg's, a small cat and a few others. Seems the most popular was the small genie for anything it could handle. I liked the small cat as well but we didn't have it very long.

eamon

Try JCB Teletruk 30D, its a fork lift crossed with a telehandler.
What about JCB 520-40 or Terex(Genie) 2406, a smaller telehandler with great visibility. We prefer the Jcb but its is approx. £5k dearer. The Terex is more basic but a little more reach.
We have had a demo on the small Cat, very good but rear visibility lets it down, otherwise a good machine. If you are on concrete there the Teletruck is a must, they have made a big impact here in the UK.

eamon

In response to small machines are over rated then we work on sites, so experience all terrain types, but the small machine seems to run circles around everything. Yes the drawback is it hasn't got a big enough bucket but hey!! With pallet forks do you go around with 3 packs of bricks on????? well it can still carry 2 tonne, so good enough for us.

icestationzebra

In response to small machines are over rated then we work on sites, so experience all terrain types, but the small machine seems to run circles around everything. Yes the drawback is it hasn't got a big enough bucket but hey!! With pallet forks do you go around with 3 packs of bricks on????? well it can still carry 2 tonne, so good enough for us.

I hope you didn't mistake my critism of low boom machines for a slam against small teles in general. I have driven the small genie and gehl machines and was pleased with the machines in general.

ISZ

Dualie

more on the TL642C In the 50 hours we have put on it since its been dropped off its needed 4 service calls and finally they just took the old unit away and dropped off a new unit from a store 125 miles away. it was getting completely stuck in neutral and not engaging gear at all. It was a very nice unit with little to no visible wear or signs of a hard life with just a tick over 1700 hours.

I told them to find me a 20 year old gradall to send out there and drive that cat off a pier

Dualie

update replacement unit sucks worse than the first! it wont engage gear until after you completely release the brake peddle and the machine starts to roll down hill some. Its damn dangerous.