• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for a rear mounted smooth drum roller for a D-6

Hopuser

Occupation
Surface Supervisor
Hi.
I am not sure if this exists but my dozer operator talked about if he had one he could work slopes and compact as well. anyone see one out there?
I was thinking that mounted on a three point A frame and you could use the wench to raise and lower it, If it was pinned on three point you could just drop it when you didn't need it.
I have looked online but not luck as of yet.
Thanks

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Dunno Hopuser. Maybe I don't quite understand. Are you saying you want to hang a smooth drum compaction roller off the back end of a D6?

I just can't get my head around the concept, what about the weight?

It only takes a few minutes to hook up a conventional towed roller if you want to use the six for compaction as well as cutting slopes.

Cheers

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I don't think a smooth drum roller would compact much of anything without vibration and/or down force. Unless its a LPG dozer it should compact things pretty good just tracking things in.

A little more info about what you are trying to accomplish and maybe we can give you some better suggestions.

buckfever

I have never seen a smooth drum roller that mounts like your talking about but I have seen a few tow behind vibratory rollers. The ones I have seen were older and were more for sealing up a fill then actually compacting dirt.

Like scrub puller said, look into getting a pull behind sheepsfoot. Just be carefull looks can be dissieving, a 84" double drum roller filled with fluid take at least a d8 to pull and make any time at it.