• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

looking for a mini x

JoshC

I'm in the market for a used machine. Looking at something less then 10,000#. I'm finding some fair deals looking around on Craigslist and other pages so far. Within my price range (around 20k) I'm obviously finding a wide variety of machines of all conditions. I'm looking at staying with a Cat, JD or Bobcat since I have dealers all around. My fear is parts for some other brands. Is that a valid concern? I did find a JD 35D that was in pretty decent shape, on the photos anyways. It has 5800 hours. How many would you deem too many?

movindirt

I would deem 5,800 way too many for a 35 size mini. How many hours are you going to be putting on it a year? If only maybe 100 or so I would consider something in the 2,000 to 2,500 hour range MAX. If your putting 400 - 500 hours a year on it then you should increase your amount your wanting to spend and get something newer with less than 1,000 hours.

code54

5800 is on the real high side. You will see a lot of decent machines with less hours that would serve you well. (Been looking for one myself a bit)

JoshC

5800 is on the real high side. You will see a lot of decent machines with less hours that would serve you well. (Been looking for one myself a bit)

Very true. BTW, I'm also in Hurricane. Small world

JoshC

I would deem 5,800 way too many for a 35 size mini. How many hours are you going to be putting on it a year? If only maybe 100 or so I would consider something in the 2,000 to 2,500 hour range MAX. If your putting 400 - 500 hours a year on it then you should increase your amount your wanting to spend and get something newer with less than 1,000 hours.

Good frame of reference. Hours i'd do a year are kind of unknown, but probably around a 100.

maddog

I found a 27ZTS JD with less then 1500hrs for under 14k(2yrs ago) it also came with a new engine rebuild with under 200hrs. has been a good machine so far. My complaint is not with this particular machine but with JD as a whole. Even though I have a decent machine it is under powered compared to other brands(same size) IMO. I also had to fix a front idler, JD wanted anywhere from 500 to over 700 for just parts. I ended up fixing it for $25.00 parts from TSC, been working perfect for over a year. I have owned JCB JD CAT IHI HW and ran many others, don't over look IHI one of the better stronger machines I've owned. The JCB I owned was also a great little machine. For 20k you should be able to find a real decent machine with much less hrs then 5800(that is a lot for a mini). IHI has a company in KY that is very helpful with parts and will answer questions(they'll even tell you which IHI's to stay away from, gray model #'s) Check out machinery trader sometimes they have good deals and you can narrow your search to area and $$$$

melli

I agree! Unless the engine was replaced, the two drive motors and swing motor, swivel joint, main pump and manifold, then maybe...lol
With a machine like a mini-ex, I would look for unit that has records of maintenance. Nothing worse than buying off some hatchet man who drove his machine into the ground and is only running because it is a sunny day. If you look hard enough, you can tell if a machine was cared for or hacked.

maddog

Melli; makes a good point, when I buy anything used I try to see how the owner acts. I've walked away from deals just because of how an owner acts towards machinery. Hatchet Man, that's a good one, well unless your in the market for a hatchet I guess :D

melli

Melli; makes a good point, when I buy anything used I try to see how the owner acts. I've walked away from deals just because of how an owner acts towards machinery. Hatchet Man, that's a good one, well unless your in the market for a hatchet I guess :D

I bought my mini off a real estate agent who was selling on behalf of the owner...The real estate agent was one of those dudes who skipped school the day the word 'maintenance' was discussed. Thankfully, it wasn't his, and he had just borrowed it from the type of dude who cleaned his tools after every shift and threw money at it on maintenance/repairs, so the machine core was in great shape.
The other day, I bought a Honda CT90 from a hatchet man. I knew he had a go on it, but I figured he just messed with a 'little bit' of it (not a lot to a motorbike). Well, I take it home and discover he really had a go on all of it. He dumped the bike at one point, and had to strip and 'repair' one side. I get the sense he misplaced all the nuts and bolts, then pulled out a mason jar to replace the one's he lost. His electrical experience revolved around the use of butt connectors...5 butt connectors on each run to taillight! Sometimes I wonder about folks, when every Philips screw on bike was stripped...a proper Philips screwdriver isn't all that expensive. Then add some paint overspray, creative part replacements, and you get a puzzle.
I'm usually a stickler for looking things over, but I let it slip because I got it for half of what he was asking. Nothing is free. I priced out parts, and it doubles the cost of the bike. At least it will be in near mint condition when done. I found it humorous that one can buy a complete nut and bolt set for the bike (like this sort of thing happens a lot). Saved me from looking up 100 part numbers...

caterpillar13

try equipment rental returns like( cat jd bobcat ) i bought mine (304cr) from cat rental, it was a trade in on a new machine

JoshC

try equipment rental returns like( cat jd bobcat ) i bought mine (304cr) from cat rental, it was a trade in on a new machine
That's what I'm doing. Thank you all for the insight. I'm calling in a few minutes on a 2012 JD 35D long arm with angle blade. has about 1300 hours on it.

msllc

I've got a couple of BOBCAT excavators; 323 & 328. They are located in CHESAPEAKE, VA = 23322.

The 323 is a 2005 year with only 1330 hours. Has brand new tracks, has just been serviced & runs perfect.

The 328 is a 2004 year with 2900 hours. Has quick change bucket connector. Works good, as it should. Only issue it has is a beeping noise / flashing light (for the aux hyd. circuit) every so often, but does not affect the ability to work. Has just been serviced & runs perfect.

Let me know / PM me if you are interested. Thanks.

maddog

Melli; I bought a 3 wheeler years back, looked good and seemed to run fair, figured it would need some repair but nothing major. Price was cheap,......:O fixes weren't, someone had taken it apart and attempted a rebuild using cheerios boxes for gaskets. Sometimes it's hard to see what's been done to a machine until its been torn down. I always say buying used is just buying anothers headache, there are fair deals and there are "WOW what the h377"

jayjay363

I just picked this 2004 IHI 28N with 2700 hours on it for a cool $12K and let me tell you she is responsive fast and great power!

melli

Melli; I bought a 3 wheeler years back, looked good and seemed to run fair, figured it would need some repair but nothing major. Price was cheap,......:O fixes weren't, someone had taken it apart and attempted a rebuild using cheerios boxes for gaskets. Sometimes it's hard to see what's been done to a machine until its been torn down. I always say buying used is just buying anothers headache, there are fair deals and there are "WOW what the h377"

I always wondered why folks put their boxes of cereal in a Tupperware container...now I know.
Need more gaskets...