• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

looking for a dump truck. is this one a good deal?

prfire20

Occupation
construction
kw is always a good choice i do belive they quit making sterling trucks so i imagine like fords eventually finding cab parts will become a challange

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
you get the simplicity of no computer, and KW's are great trucks, wonder if it's always been a dump or it it's a converted tractor. Funny none of the pics show the drivers side, if it has another big fuel tank on that side I'd guess it is a convert. Looks sharp, wonder what suspension it has?

Oldiron

The T600 is almost alway an old road tractor, If that truck has KW 8 bag suspension it will be very tippy with a tall body that suspension (KW8 BAG) is terrible offroad poor traction etc . But if beeing tippy isn't an issue (you dump air suspension to tip the box) and you don't spend much time offroad they do ride very well . I would check truckpaper for price comparisons that seems kind of high to me :drinkup

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
dump truck

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/1553277793.html
he says it's got a cummins motor. this is going to be my first truck, I will be using it to haul fertilizier . will have to take on some long uphills, not to drastic.
Looks like a nice truck, Im a KW person, but I buy what I can get a deal on. This looks like a converted road tractor, if it was done right they are OK, but you need to get it at a good price, because when you sell it, you will not get top dollar for it. I dont like dump trucks with air ride, they are scary.
There are a lot of repo trucks out there now, I just bought one and you will haggle with them, you can get a good deal. I just saw a 2000 Sterling triaxle, with a Cat 3306 $11,000
Make sure its double frame chassis and not air ride, if youre going off highway the air ride will cause you to mess your pants up, but they do ride good, except going around curves
Let us know what he wants for the truck, it should be around $10,000

2109 Stang

To my knowledge T600 never made dump trucks ,they did make some day cab tractors ,make sure is double framed ,and the air ride if done right will be no problem ,except little traction on wet mud ,but you should have power divider to help with that ,resale will be low, so like Willis said make sure you get a good deal ,that cummins is a great engine ,it's got a computer or electronic box for the fuel pump ,but can be removed fairly easy ,very powerful for a 365 hp all this is assuming the motor is in good shape .

tootalltimmy

Looking at Washington state Craigslist there is an 89 T600 almost identical to the one above for $23,000.

An 86 W900 for $36,000.

1990 Western Star, needs tires for $22,500

These prices seem pretty high. I'm thinking - good luck to them!

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
trucks

Looking at Washington state Craigslist there is an 89 T600 almost identical to the one above for $23,000.

An 86 W900 for $36,000.

1990 Western Star, needs tires for $22,500

These prices seem pretty high. I'm thinking - good luck to them!

Thats what Im thinking GOOD LUCK TO THEM
There is no way a 86 anything (dump truck) is worth $36,000, even if it has a new $20,000 high lift bed on it, the truck is still a 86. I have a 86 Int tandem, that I just reworked and I dont want but $9000, I would ask $13,000 and get it if the ecomony was better. If you are looking for a good deal, look for International, Ford, Volvo, they tend to sell cheaper and they are good trucks
Good Luck

92b16si

thanks guys, very helpful. it is a airbagged, and I will be needing it off road. so I guess I will keep looking, if you guys see anything out there please let me know. where can I find some repo deals?

2109 Stang

That thing might dump but that ain't a dump truck by any means, that's fugly ,bed is abot 24" long ,and whe you raise it the tail end will hit the ground ,and back to a tractor with a bed on it I'm also sure is air ride ,just keep looking ,at least the other one looked like a dump truck.

92b16si

I actually like the long bed , but never thought about when i would raise it. I will be hauling fertilizer.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Here is a search from Truck Paper for tandem dumps, $10-15K with over 400HP. You may have stated it prior but what is your price range? Good hunting.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
dump truck

This is a converted road tractor. It has air ride and partial cab fairings. This is not totally a bad truck (a converted road tractor) if its been done right. It needs to have a double frame chassis, or at least a heavy bed subframe. If it doesnt have either, you are going to be sorry. I really like KW trucks and would buy a converted road tractor, as long as it was done right, or I got it at a good price, where I could fix it right. This is not a bad price, but I wouldnt pay much more than this and it would have to be in good condition. As I stated before, make sure if you buy a air ride suspension, that you dump the air bags, before you lift the bed and try to dump on level ground, they will turn over faster than a factory dump.
Check out any truck good before buying it, trucks are very costly to repair
Good Luck

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
International dump

hey guys it is me again. sorry to be such a pest, but how about this one?http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/1563099283.html

Im not real sure but this probably a Cat 3406 engine, they are good engines, if they are not worn out, very costly to rebuild.
Im not sure but this looks like a converted road tractor also. Most (not all) factory dumps are 16ft beds. The 14ft beds limit you on the volume of material you can carry.
Find out what kind of suspension it has. Its not a bad price, if everything is OK
If its air ride, I would rather have the KW, for the price. Check any air ride you look at and make sure its a 8 bag system (4 bags on each back axle) make sure it has a leveling valve. A air ride suspension will scare you to death, in a curve, if its a 4 bag, its worst. They lean way over in a curve and have turned over in a curve on occasions, the bags could blow out on a bad curve and thats bad. Any air bag system, must be at the right height, too high is real bad.
So you see the air ride takes some work. I know there are thousands of dump trucks out there working today, with not problems. I have one and it was a good truck, but the items I listed above are problems I had. It takes a attentive driver to drive these kind of trucks. They ride good on the highway, but they dont pull that great off road.
I am comparing air ride to the Walker Beam suspension and the Walker Beam will always come out on top
Keep looking and posting them, we will give you our 2 cents worth