• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

looking at newer machine tracks or tires?

wheeliewebb

looking at a S130 2500hrs for 10,900 2005 and a 2003 T190 1700 hours for 12,500 both machines are about the same condition(paint,looks,tires,etc..) I mainly use my machine for cutting wood and splitting it. I will be running machine in a woods a lot. Any cons or pros to either machine? Is there more maintenance and up keep with tracks? What are these machines weak points that i should be looking for?

bpogue

The tracks will give you better flotation in the woods. This could be and advantage when it is muddy and provide better traction in the leaves. However, I don't like rubber tracks in the woods. If you start spinning around against a stump, you are liable to lose the track. It probably wouldn't hurt it, just waste your time putting it back on.

In my opinion, the best option is a tire machine with steel tracks over the tires for in the woods work. You are highly unlikely to break anything and will get better traction in those conditions.