• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking at my first Lull

JB222

Occupation
General Contractor
Thanks for all the additional info. Yes I am a Craigslist nut and I too like Searchtempest. I also have an app on my phone that saves my searches and refreshes them every few hours.

Also I am in New England and didnt know our equipment market was so high in comparison. I think I would be a little worried buying equipment from so far away and sight unseen. Any suggestions on how to get a machine inspected so far away and how to get it shipped if I do look into that.

I have also looked into IronPlanet, but was not sure how reliable that might be. As I said just gunshy of buying anything without at least laying my own hands and eyes on it first. It would be kind of exciting though to have such a giant present show up at my door, lol.

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
I've got a nice 2005 Terex th6622' 6600# 22' reach, 1300ish hours, 4 wd, 4 wheel steer, crab steer, quick disconnect carriage, in orlando, fl. 18500.

JB222

Occupation
General Contractor
Thanks. Sounds like a great machine, but 18.5 is not even close to the budget.

barklee

Yea, if you are looking at something far away you can call just about any aerial rental company. They will send a mechanic to the sight and inspect a machine for you. I have used United Rentals, Sunbelt, and RSC. I believe they charged around $100 or so.

JB222

Occupation
General Contractor
Yea, if you are looking at something far away you can call just about any aerial rental company. They will send a mechanic to the sight and inspect a machine for you. I have used United Rentals, Sunbelt, and RSC. I believe they charged around $100 or so.

That is a great idea barklee. I can save myself a tire kicking trip and head out with a trailer an confidence. Thanks

JB222

Occupation
General Contractor
This looks like a much better deal for $2500 than the first one I looked at.

http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/2840893975.html

Hours are a little high, but still a much better deal than that first one. Still just window shopping and learning for now, so if anyone in sees anything they like feel free to look at it. Im still a few weeks out from pulling any triggers.

Nac

Occupation
Construction
I have a Lull 1044B I might be intrested in letting go.

Attachments

• 567.jpg
    567.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 447

JB222

Occupation
General Contractor
I saw that first beast on Craigslist a week or so ago.

And the second one does look nice, but as you said way too far.

18nascar18

Occupation
construction equipment repair
Be careful of those older machines like the one pictured. I am a mobile mechanic that specializes in reach forklifts of all brands. I still occasionally see these old beasts and alot of the parts are not available. The last dinosaur I repaired was just like this, a Lull 400, the stub axle was broke. The final bill was close to $2000.00 because the USED stub axle was $1450.00. The axles were a common problem on those machines. An older Gehl 663 or 883 can be a good choice due to parts availability and they are a rugged machine. You can sometimes find a decent one under 10K. I do like Lull and Skytrak too, but parts are always easier to aquire when the original manufacturer is still the owner. Good luck!

JB222

Occupation
General Contractor
Thought you guys might find this one interesting. Not something I would want, but stumbled across it and thought it was a pretty cool old beast.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/tls/2802136330.html

18nascar18, Great advice. I had not been thinking with the availability of parts down the line. As a hobby I restore Case garden tractors. One of the things I love about them is the have changed very little over the years. This makes it very easy to find used replacement parts and swap accesories. I will keep that in mind with the lift and the backhoe purchases.

lonkinggroup

I think since you haven't make up your mind, and which means you haven't one you want most, so why not go to the auction and find more ? Or go to the websites that specially selling used machines ?

JB222

Occupation
General Contractor
I have looked on a few sites, but have not seen any deals I was interested in. There are also 3 auctions coming up in my area. So far the inventory list does not show too many telehandlers, but that might change by auction time. They also have a few backhoes and S/A Dumps I am interested in at those auctions.

Bluwenis

Rent. Unless its going to be a 100 hours a year. The cost you'll spend in blown hoses and the usual will pay for a rental when you need one. or a boom truck is cheaper if you can do the work with that. No transport cost, Really depends on what your doing with it?

JB222

Occupation
General Contractor
I think this years workload will be right on the edge of the rent/buy line. If I am able to get a machine at a really good deal I will be ahead of the game for future projects and worst case could always resell it and recoup my cost. The three projects I have lined up are
1) Tearing off the roof above a 3 car garage building a new 2BR apartment above with full 8 foot walls and a new simple gable roof.
2) Tear down an older Cape and build a 3700 sqft home in its place. I will be doing everything from the ground up with minimal subcontracting. Might sub out the foundation, insulation and sheetrock as well as the obvious mechanical work.
3)A 1600 sqft 2 story addition with a kitchen, great room and master suit.

I think I will be spending at least 5k if I rent only when "needed" next year. However I am sure there is more work I could use it for if it was on site and ready. I would guess the total if I used it every time I wanted it would be around 8k in rental fees.
So if I can find a decent machine with good parts availability for 5-8k I will be at least breaking even.
Also for hauling I am picking up a single axle dump and 15-20 ton tag along at the same time.

barklee

I can totally relate to your situation. My perspective is this: If i can break even on the rent vs purchase, repairs, hauling in three years time i will always purchase it. I will give you an example. Seven years ago i was in your position regarding a manlift. We use lifts solid about 6-8 months out of the year. I bought a 60' boom that was about 4-5 years old and paid 28,000 for it with 1800hrs on the machine, which was a pretty good deal at the time. I still have this machine and it has about 4000hrs on it now. I did the math over the winter on what it has cost me to own the machine all this time. It totaled in repairs, insurance, and hauling about 10,000 + the 28,000 paid for the machine=38,000. In that amount of time the rental would have cost 72,000. So needless to say it was the right call plus i still have something at the end of it that is worth something.
Really what i like best about owning something is that if a job takes a week or two longer you arent getting plugged for another 700-1000 in extra rent that wasnt in the bid! When the machine is paid for you can always factor the machine at less than rental rates and have a pretty signifigant advantage over your competition. Especially when there are multiple machines you can do that on. Another big advantage is the small day or two jobs. Rental is so expensive for the short term that you always have an advantage over the guy who has to rent.
Just my two cents:notworthy

barklee

I will say also that i think you may want to raise your budget a bit. Finding something like (i think) you need for 5-8K is going to be a tall order. I am no expert or equipment dealer but i am always looking for aerials to steal, and its going to take 12-15k to get something respectable that will last you for 5 years with minimal trouble. That 12-15k is going to be finding a steal! Its not impossible but that would get you something like a skytrak 6042 or 8042 in the 2000-2003 range with decent hours. Prices have really come up on these machines in the last 6-8 months so good deals are few and far between.