• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking at my first Lull

JB222

Occupation
General Contractor
I have enough larger scale projects lined up for the Spring/Summer that I have started to think about picking up an older Lull. This would be for for the usual residential construction uses. Lifting framing lumber, a work platform for windows/siding, etc.. I dont have the budget for a newer model yet bat have seen some great deals on older ones.
In particular I spoke with the owner of this one I found on Craigslist
5G15H45Mc3Kf3I83N5c24bcc2652386a015be.jpg5Lf5If5P03Ge3I23M7c2455cbd1f6636018ef.jpg5N75G45Z13K63Mb3Fac243c3ce5d0441614e4.jpg.

The owner is not terribly knowledgeable about the machine itself but gave me a good history. It was originally a rental for years and years then sold to a local contractor. This contractor used it some and sold it to another contractor a few years later. That contractor had it for roughly 6 years and put a lot of new parts into it. Paint, breaks, pistons, etc. This guy bought it from him just for one project and now it just sits.

It has 4wd, 3 way steering, and a Chrysler slant 6 (he says the 6 feels weak and might have some blow by). He says it is a 400s c1. Can you guys give me any advice on the capabilities of this machine for the type of work I described above? Also what sort of things should I look for when I go to check it out? Are there common wear points or major/expensive issues I need to worry about.

Thanks in advance guys.

skata

unless you are getting that for next to nothing, i wouldnt buy it.
and i would definetly not put a work platform on it, since i highly doubt it has locking valves on the hydraulic lift cylinders.
whats the price?

JB222

Occupation
General Contractor
Asking is $2950. I will probably try to get it for $2500 if I do move on it. Can you elaborate on why you would not want it. Like I said this will be my first Lull and any info or opinions you can give will help as I keep looking around.

skata

if i saw you pull up in that machine, i wouldnt take you serious. that machine is past its time and is about due for the scrap yard.
try and spend about 10-12 and get a traditional straight shooting boom lift and you will be a lot happier.

JB222

Occupation
General Contractor
Skata, Thank you for the opinion. However I personally have no issues with the age of a machine. I have a few tractors here from the early 70's that work just as well if not better than most modern equivalents and saved me a ton of money in upfront purchase price. I will most likely end up with a more modern shooter boom down the line, but I am not interested in one at the moment.

What would be most helpful to me would by any info or experience someone might have on this machine or similar ones. Again thank you for the opinion though.

barklee

I dont wanna rain on your parade here but i would avoid something that old.... If you were going to use this around the house and had ample time to fix this thing every time it broke down, and OSHA wouldnt see it, i wouldnt say anything. As it is, you are going to try to make money with this thing. Time is money...... again, time is money! Like said before, i would wait and save up a little more cash and buy a shooting boom machine. I think you are in for trouble with this thing.
I would under no circumstances put a man basket on this machine either. Your $2500 for the whole machine wont touch the OSHA fine for running it like that. Let alone if something happens and someone gets hurt. If this machine wont pass annual inspection (and it wont) i wouldnt consider it for any price. Not trying to be rude, i just dont want to see anyone end up in trouble. Best of luck!:D

JB222

Occupation
General Contractor
I appreciate the concern, especially about the working platform. I have access to a nice scissor platform and will probably use that for all the man work based upon the suggestions. However IF this machine is in great shape it would still be a great mule for my material handling needs. Dont worry about raining on my parade as I am not sold on this one machine. I would just like to learn about it so if I do go look at it I can make an educated decision on its potential. Even if I dont get this one I will have a better idea on how to narrow my search as time goes on. I have plenty of time to look around for this and heck I could always rent one until the right machine comes along or the budget goes up.

joestewart

Its an old machine - not sure if its supported by Lull anymore. Someone on this board should know. I saw one of these - its a 422 isn't it? - a non runner, but complete - on craigslist for $1000 about a year ago - it was on there for a LONG TIME (hint: no one wanted it). I was going to buy it just for the tires - I did not buy it because it was too far away. Anyway, I'd probably pass on this one also. I got my Lull 644 for $3200 and I had to dump about $1k into it and some work. There are deals out there on the newer machines.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
My advice as well would be to put another $8k and buy a 534D Gradall, but that is easier said than done and I understand that. If your budget is $2500 and the machine checks out and operates as it should, then proceed with caution in your purchase.

There are a boatload of good used shooting boom forklifts out there and the difference between these machines and the one you are looking at is night and day. I have a 1998 Gradall 534D-6 that I purchased new. "Ol' Blue" has been a great machine and worked on many projects over the last 14 years. Even though I don't do any building projects anymore, I keep her around for the occasional lift - these machines are very handy.;)

Best of luck!

06Pete

I second that it is to old to use on paying jobs it might be fine around the house but what will it cost to breakdown and have 3 guys watching you fix it.I would say the axle swivels and transmition being the must problematic or worn with parts being hard to find. I had a old skytrack of the same age everytime I would take it to a job witch I would avoid at all cost it would break down. It was awkard and unsafe and I finaly unloaded it to a dealer on trade for a cat th 63. I don't know how I made out without it. It will reack 42 feet crab steer and go just about anywhere. I can't imaginetrying to do the same things I have done with the cat with the skytrack. Right now the prices are cheep on forklifts because of the lack of building and all builders had bought 2 or 3 when things were good and now don't need them. Just my thoughts if you have time and skills to work on it it might work for you just don't see it worth me fighting that battle again. GOOD LUCK!

JB222

Occupation
General Contractor
Wow, I an really starting feel a theme here, lol. Ok two questions to add to the discussion.

1. What is it about this machine in comparison to a shooter that makes it not worth use on a site?

2. What are some different names or brands of worth while shooters so I can set up some craigslist watches.

Just so you all know what I am working on. I am looking for 4 things and trying to keep below 20k. I need a lull (most important profit wise), a single axle dump (older like a c70 or f800), 12-15 ton trailer, a backhoe (most fun for me, lol). As you can see the budget is a little tight. However as these make their money and save me on rental fees I plan to upgrade as needed and deserved (based upon profit) over the next few years. I figure ant of these could be resold at no loss as I trade up.

JB222

Occupation
General Contractor
This is the lowest price I was able to find on Craigslist at the moment.

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/tls/2813687561.html

Is 11k a fair price for a mid 80's machine like this? As I said before 2500 is not my max budget, although it would be great to get a decent machine for that price:D. I would prefer to spend 5-6k instead of 10k, but maybe I am dreaming.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

N.B.CONCRETE

Occupation
OWNER
I use a 644 for all kinds of things , but I'd stay away from an old one, OSHA would put you out of business with that antique .
IMAG0067.jpg

JB222

Occupation
General Contractor
I have set up a craigslist search for a 300 mile radius and the terms lull, telehandler, boom fork lift, gradall. All i found so far was equipment well out of my price range, but I will be able to see any "deals" as the pop up. I also found a local equipment auction in early March. If I have not found the right equipment by then I will have at least seen a few used machines and have a better grasp of what to inspect at the auction.
If anyone has any pointers for what to look for or avoid as I go along I would love to hear them.

Thanks

barklee

This is the lowest price I was able to find on Craigslist at the moment.

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/tls/2813687561.html

Is 11k a fair price for a mid 80's machine like this? As I said before 2500 is not my max budget, although it would be great to get a decent machine for that price:D. I would prefer to spend 5-6k instead of 10k, but maybe I am dreaming.

That machine to me anyways, is worth maybe $5000. We bought a 1995 Skytrak 6036 in nice shape for $6000 not too long ago. You will have to shop hard for a good machine for 5-6k. That is low auction prices. Try ritchie bros or iron planet. They sell thousands of these machines a year. I have seen several decent machines sell for the 8-9k range. The 5-6 is really pushing it though. Good brands are Skytrak, Lull, Gradall, Terex, Gehl, Cat, Manitou, Carelift, Genie. You can still get parts for all these machines as they are all still in business.

JB222

Occupation
General Contractor
Thanks for the input. I added all of the above to the craigslist search so I can keep an eye out for deals. 6k for a Skytrack 6036 sounds great to me. Like I said before I have a few months to scout things out, so hopefully I will come across something good.

barklee

I am assuming you are in New England? That is probably the highest price equipment market in the USA (as i understand). You may want to look in the south or Texas area. That seems to be where we have gotten our best deals.

If you are craigslist crazy you should try searchtempest.com. Its a search engine that will search the whole country. It is the best one i have found out there.

icestationzebra

The 644D wouldn't be a bad machine for moving materials. You can usually find them cheap and they have good visibility. On the negative side: It doesn't have much capacity at full extension, the gearbox input shafts are weak, and keep the fuel tank full during storage to prevent rust.

ISZ