1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

looking at mack but needs work....

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by dadanddaughterexcavation, Oct 13, 2021.

1. dadanddaughterexcavation

dadanddaughterexcavation Active Member

owner/ operator at Dad and daughter excavation
    looking at 1998 mack dump E7-460 with eaton fuller 18sp has 347k miles. I have a couple questions??? with that milage will motor need work soon? The guy also says "will need cross member that hold the rear suspension in the frame" My qustion is how big a deal is this? will it cost a boat load? I will include all the pics I was sent
    Thank you all I appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. dadanddaughterexcavation

more pics

Attached Files:

3. dadanddaughterexcavation

this is frame pics

Attached Files:

4. DB2

DB2 Senior Member

In Mack lingo it’s called a trunnion and involves a lot of work. Box will have to be removed.

JMilne88 likes this.
  5. Tyler d4c

Tyler d4c Senior Member

By the loom of the double frame it needs rails

colson04 and DB2 like this.
  6. Jonas302

Jonas302 Senior Member

The engine will go another millon unless its already 1,347,000

The rearend is going to cost a boatload drive it to a heavy frame shop to get an estimate before making an offer could be a nice truck for the right money

Spud_Monkey likes this.
  7. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    I guarantee the frame has rust jacking. When that trunnion crossmember is changed-getting all the bolts loose and knocking it out of there will
    break loose rust between those rails, it will never bolt back up quite right unless the frame is opened and scaled. Then cracks are found.

8. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    NO NO NO!!! Don't walk away, run.
    I retired a truck with better frame than that. Fixing a rusty frame is not simple.

9. Spud_Monkey

Spud_Monkey Senior Member

Run Forrest Run!!! Unless you just want just the components and not a functional truck. Eighteen speeds for a dump truck, hope you don't have short hauls or you will spend more time rowing gears the whole time.

10. JLarson

JLarson Senior Member

Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
    Yikes, I'd forget I ever saw it. Bad frame rust jacking isn't something you want to mess with, I bet you disturb what's left of that trunnion and it goes down hill fast from there lol

Truck Shop and DB2 like this.
  11. Tags

Tags Senior Member

I'll echo everyone else's comments, that's not a great truck because the frame is going to be an endless problem. Also, is there any chance that was an over the road truck converted to a dump truck? If so, it probably doesn't have heavy axles under it anyway.