• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking at a Galion 118

FirstEliminator

hi,
After making a not so good looking job of my parking lot with a box blade, I started looking for a better way to keep the parking lot nice. Looking for some type oif hydraulic attachment for the tractor, saw a Grader is for sale about 20 minutes from me. It's a Galion 118. I looked and it needs some work. Power steering has an issue, brakes don't work and the hydraulic oil is milky. Tires are good, Cummins started right up. Casting date on the block is 1960. Everything hydraulic seems to work. Price is about the same as buying a hydraulic blade attachment for the tractor.
After doing some research on grader operation, I have noticed this particular 118 does not have hydraulic pitch adjustment. Pitch is manual. Is manual pitch a deterrent? Or can hydraulic be added for the pitch?
There doesn't seem to be much info around on the Galion 118. Is there a place I haven't found that has info?
Any thoughts about a 1960 Galion grader?

thanks,
Mark

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
It's just one of those things that was added over the years. At one time a dozer blade didn't tilt side to side. If you have never run a grader with blade roll, then you won't miss it. Never been around this model, but if it's only for personal use, and not a production machine, might be fine. No idea what getting parts for them is like. Just be aware that if you have never owned heavy equipment, that repairs can be expensive, and as I tell all new grader operators, that unlike most machines, you can hit the machine with the MB, or blade, and it can do some damage, especially tires.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
Galion graders were the cream of the crop in their day. Unfortunately a 118 is at least 50 years old with almost no parts support to speak of. When Dresser bought out Galion Iron Works, it was business as usual in Galion Ohio at the factory. Fast forward 25 years or so and Komatsu ends up with Galion in the typical corporate fashion, and now they have an odd manufacturer of graders, art-deco rollers, and hydraulic cranes. As far as I know the Galion brand exists in name only. You may still be able to get a few things through Komatsu, but finding a parts person who knows how to look up the parts is difficult.

FirstEliminator

Thanks for the replies. Was the 118 ever available with hydraulic blade pitch? I wonder if anyone is parting out a 118. Or is there any type of salvage yard for this stuff? This one is close to home which is a big plus. A scarifier would be nice, but it isn't a requirement. Hydraulic pitch seems to be a big convenience if you are reforming a dirt parking lot. I know the guys selling the machine and they are good guys.....certainly reasonable on price. Darn.....decisions.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
Like the others have said, hyd pitch control is nice but not a necessity. I think you’re going to have a time maneuvering a 13’ blade machine doing a parking lot. I would keep looking for a smaller machine personally.

FirstEliminator

Today, I committed to purchase the 118. On ebay I found original Galion parts manual and operating manual. This week I will be handing over some money and then picking up the machine. Only two towns away, I could probably drive it home. Without power steering and no brakes, I think it would be much better to have it hauled. Luckily, my trucker friend lives just up the road from where the grader is located.
Yes, this machine is probably a bit big for the parking lot I take care of. At the same time, a P&H H312 excavator is a bit big for use around the house. While a mini is sufficient, the P&H was 6 times the excavator for a 1/4 the price. This Galion is a complete machine at the price of a hydraulic tractor attachment.

thanks,
Mark

FirstEliminator

Today I went down to fiddle with the grader a bit. Topped off the oil. Put in a new battery. It started with a sniff of ether. Not bad since it was 7 degrees this morning. I found the serial number of the machine. 1 -C-02823. Can anyone make sense of this serial number to determine what year this machine is?
I have the feeling it is about a 1960 or 1961 due to the date casting of 4-11-60 on the Cummins engine block . I'm not sure if the engine has been replaced or original.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I haven't run a grader before. What would knuckle buster refer to?
Never run a Galion, but the Cat graders with gearbox controls would sometimes kick back at you, and give your knuckles a darn good smack. I ran an old Cat 14E that wasn't too bad, but sometimes when you were not ready....snap!

skyking1

very nice project! Looks like a great start, IMO. If there is no hurry getting it out of there, you might get those brakes and steering working where it sits. I would sure investigate that angle, unless you have a heated shop to put it in at home.