• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking at a first-time small dozer purchase

BenH

Hello, I am looking at a a late 70's Cat D3 and I need to know what to look for as far as potential problems and wear items. There appears to be 2400 hrs on it, he's asking $9700. It has a 6 way blade, all of it works great. It's a one owner, farm used unit. I've been around lots of different equipment, but I've never owned a dozer before. I know, of course, that the undercarriage is the big wear item, this particular unit appears to have a very good undercarriage. I started and ran the dozer for close to an hour, everything works with a few little idiosyncrasies. The left steering pedal needs to be pushed a lot harder to work than the right pedal, could that be an adjustment, or indicative of a major repair necessary?

There is a Rome winch on it, which I specifically need, I will be using it for some logging. Is anyone familiar with that winch? It didn't turn when I tried to use it, but they said it probably just needed some fluid. Sound possible? I guess I can just bring some fluid and try it, do they just use regular hydraulic fluid?

The shift handle doesn't put the unit into gear right away, after you let it warm up a little it eventually kicks into gear and runs fine when it gets going. You also have to run the handle just right to get it to go from forward to reverse, could that just be an adjustment? It's a power shift, if it makes a difference.

Any other thoughts on this machine, or just owning a dozer in general, would be appreciated. I will not be using it hard, really only am buying one for the particular job I am on. I was leaning towards the advantages of owning one, as opposed to renting or hiring it out.

Thanks!

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
I own a 1978 Cat D4E dozer. I also own a Cat 1978 951C track loader. Truth be known, I have probably spent about the same amount of time working on them as with them. If you are capable of pulling wrenches and don't mind doing that sort of thing then an older machine may be just what you need. Parts for the older cats are expensive but knowledge is free right here on this forum. An older cat always needs some work done but then they will do a lot of work. You have to love it or just hire the work done. As far as the cat is concerned, work is work no matter if it is on a farm or a paying job.

Outasite

As with most dozers the steering is two stage,clutch/band.the first part of the pedal travel releases the clutch,if that part is working ok the dozer will start a slow turn.If if does not the clutches may be stuck.Somtimes they will free up with use.Next is the brake band,it is adjustable,that will be at the bottom of the stroke.A good dry brake band properly adjusted should not take much pressure to stop the track.