• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking a buying a field tile machine

rancher2

Not sure best place to post this question. Any body been around a Koehring 600 wheel trencher. Looking at some trenchers to install 4 inch to 12 inch tile on our own farms. I have looked at some T600 vermeer trenches too. I don't have a big enough tractor to pull a plow so I need a trencher of some kind.

Tinkerer

Is there anyway you could use two ag tractors on a plow ?
I ran a Vermeer T600 one summer installing under-drains along the outside edges of interstate highways. Very little downtime and it was equipped with a laser. It was very easy to dial in the slope on the laser.
I Googled the Koehring 600 because I didn't know what it looked like. Wheel trenchers is what came up.
I have run Cleveland wheel trenchers many years ago. No lasers in those days.:(
I would much prefer the Vermeer. With carbide teeth it will cut through about anything, except big rocks. Rocks are tough on both style trenchers. One of the benefits of the Vermeer is that there are dealers everywhere if it needs parts. I don't about the Koerhing trencher parts availability. Might be something to consider.

rancher2

Tinkerer
Thanks for the reply. All I have for tractors are two wheel drive. A plow is out. Kind of looking hard at the vermeer just a little worried about chain wear and the expense to replace that. The Koehring is a wheel machine that a old guy has own for years and is suppose to be in good shape. Both machine are going to be a big road trip to look at. This is all a learning curve to me as all I have ever trenched in is water line and back hoe a little sewer line with a old R-45 ditch witch a friend had.

Tinkerer

Like any chain look closely at the pins for a fitment in the links and wear on the outside of the pins. The chain could have carbide tipped teeth that are shaped like a bullet and are easily replaced or the less desirable steel teeth that are shaped like a hook. When you do start trenching always have underground utility's located. There was a very sad accident in Illinois a while back. A trencher cut through a gas line out in the middle of a field and there were a couple of deaths as result.
Here is the story. ---->http://wqad.com/2017/12/05/two-killed-two-seriously-injured-in-lee-county-pipeline-explosion/

rancher2

I never do any digging with out calling first and getting it flagged. The chain on the 600 Vermeer has regular teeth at this point we don't have a lot of rocks. It is probably time to spend a couple days on the road and look at some tiling machines that are for sale that I can afford and try to decide what is the best machine for the money. I don't need to buy a money pit of a machine. I would be better off not doing anything.