1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Logging Railroads and their Equipment

Discussion in 'Forestry Equipment' started by 075, Mar 30, 2011.

1. cwwrman

cwwrman Member

The photo may have been taken in 1978. But there is no way if it was in 1978 that it was at Vail. The 684 was issolated from the Vail-South Bay operations between the years of 1976-1980. This is discussed in the Vail McDonald book, I dont know the chapter though.
    Engine 776 was an EMD GP7 that was bought in 1977 from Morison-Knudsen, hence the reason the loco ### starts with 77, just like your Dads 493, which was bought in 1949. The EMD GP 38-2 were bought new in 1981 and had the ###s 817, 818, 819, & 810. There was actually a 5th GP 38-2 that was ordered but was cancelled at the last minute following MILWs embargo of the PCE. This is also discussed in detail in the Vail-McDonald book.

Ryan
    modeling the Chehalis Western in N scale

2. Vigilant

Vigilant Senior Member

Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
    I don't know which one is wrong, but this photo is captioned as being taken at Vail in 1978.

3. Vigilant

Vigilant Senior Member

I have also read that Engine 493 was upgraded to 1200 HP, not the 1400 I had in mind.

4. cwwrman

cwwrman Member

125.jpg

Here is a photo of your Dads loco at Pe Ell.

5. cwwrman

cwwrman Member

I have another photo of your Dads loco sitting alongside its twin 492 at Pe Ell, but I am unable to upload it for some reason. If you are interested in it, shoot me your e mail address and I will send it to you.

Ryan

6. Vigilant

Vigilant Senior Member

PM sent. Many thanks.

7. cwwrman

cwwrman Member

cubanator likes this.
  8. cwwrman

cwwrman Member

View attachment CW current projects.bmp

Here is another photo of some of my CW models that I have painted. I also have 2 more GP 38-2s that I painted as well as one more caboose. That makes my late CW diesel roster all complete with the exception of the lone C-415 #684, which I hope to build someday.

Best Regards
    Ryan Aust
    modeling the Chehalis Western N scale

9. 64Pacific

64Pacific Well-Known Member

Recently I happened upon a black and white photograph of a Canadian Forest Products Ltd. Englewood Logging Division diesel locomotive, number two specifically. I am curious what the original colours were, and if there are any colour photos around?

I will check the copyright for the Canfor image and post it here if possible...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  10. Hayesno1

Hayesno1 Senior Member

Project manager
    025A749D-989F-4EAA-8DF2-48A2577D277F.jpeg 81559BDA-FC8A-46F3-9FBB-91B68ABDB53F.jpeg 863A45EF-C1C4-45B2-A7A9-CDD486ECC28F.jpeg 3714F277-2476-447C-8E27-B7DF263A1DDC.jpeg I went to Woss to see what remains - sadly not much to see

cubanator likes this.
  11. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    This is a old post, but is that a buzzin dozen in that rig?

12. HD Mech

HD Mech Well-Known Member

Heavy duty mechanic
    That certainly is!