1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Logging Equipment Pictures

Discussion in 'Forestry Equipment' started by Contract Logger, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Gyppo tower logger
    Doesn't it feel nose-heavy with the heel on it or is that a pretty light duty head? I know my tigercat head is very heavy.

2. loggers son

loggers son Well-Known Member

shovel logger operator
    The head weighs 2 ton and the heel about the same. Stability can be an issue if you’re not careful however it’s in the workshop right now getting that addressed with a bit of counterweight being added

3. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Gyppo tower logger
    What area are you guys located in? I see that you don't have grouser extensions on so you must have fairly good soil?

4. loggers son

shovel logger operator
    Around the Oberon region of New South Wales in Australia and the ground varies from soft soil, hard packed red clay with a lot of rock and quartz ( great for starting bush fires) through to solid basalt and granite boulders and I completely wear track gear out really quickly ( about 5000hrs) so extensions would be a bit of a waste of money.

5. Plebeian

Plebeian Senior Member

6. loggers son

shovel logger operator
    Yeah you’ve got the right location, roughly 2.5hrs west of Sydney. During the summer months we have a 500litre tank and pump on-site with each crew.As we get so much experience with fires everyone is quick to get small fires out using fire extinguishers, shovels, rakes or whatever is at hand. Personally I just use the live heel to put out any fires I start..... no point getting all worked up I say.... then call in a fire truck to wet the area down afterward.

skyking1, dirty4fun and Hallback like this.
  7. El Gordo

El Gordo Senior Member

Retired B.C. Logger
    Bio of a B.C. Logger
    El Gordo 3.jpg

Gordon Barney was born in Vancouver in 1947 and moved to Ladysmith on Vancouver Island at a very young age. His father George Barney was a faller for McMillan, Bloedel at Copper Canyon near Chemainus for 31 years.

Gord went to work at an early age in the woods as did most young men around Ladysmith at that time. The jobs were many, pulp mills, saw mills, but he chose to work in woods. He started work in the woods "punkin" whistles and then worked on the Riggin' and moved upward until he was a machine operator a few years later. He operated one of the first Grapple Yarder's built by Madill machinery in Nanaimo when it came to the camp he was in, near Kelsey bay in 1968.

He logged up and down the West Coast of British Columbia and the Queen Charlotte Islands in many of the small logging camps for many years, where he collected many of his stories.

He always drew cartoons as a young man and then put them to use, drawing caricatures of his logging buddies and making fun of some of the woods bosses as he improved his technique.

He wrote down stories that he heard in the bunkhouse on scraps of paper and then in later years copied them on to a computer disk, to write into a book he knew he would write one day.

He is now retired from the forest industry and his book Camp Inspector and Haywire are now written and published by Fir Grove Publishing. He lives in Ladysmith which is near his two sons Clay and Martin. Gord has drawn many logging cartoons and submits written material to the Green Gold Logger's Newspaper regularly.

He is well known as a Logger, Poet, Cartoonist and Writer in the Vancouver Island area.

Bill Owens, Editor, I.W.A. (Local 1-71)

Now USW Green Gold Newspaper

Attached Files:

8. El Gordo

El Gordo Senior Member

Retired B.C. Logger
  9. wornout wrench

wornout wrench Senior Member

Oh man
    Gord did the best comics.
    Whatever you messed up yesterday, would be on the wall of the cookhouse in the morning.
    The wall of shame.

My Favorite was
    Ray the Rat
    (Rest in Peace Ray)

Hallback likes this.
  10. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

Probably a long shot but has anyone ever heard of an outfit called Rossland Highlead Logging?

11. El Gordo

El Gordo Senior Member

Retired B.C. Logger
  12. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Gyppo tower logger
  13. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

Hallback, whose is that?

14. donkey doctor

donkey doctor Senior Member

retired
    Oh to be that riggin rat pulling strawline in the snow or "why I became a mechanic" d.d.

Tugger2, Hallback, John C. and 3 others like this.
  15. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    Are you guys able to keep logging with all the snow up there this year?

16. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Gyppo tower logger
    That is our little tower. We walked everything off of the hill this week. They have seven more miles to go to get the yarder off of the hill where we can move the side out to the coast at 400 FT elevation.

dirty4fun likes this.
  17. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Gyppo tower logger
  18. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Gyppo tower logger
  19. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Gyppo tower logger
  20. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member