• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Log Grapple suitable for palfinger PK8000

crane operator

Do you have hydraulic at the end of your boom? Hydraulic reel or trombone style? If you don't, that's going to complicate things.

I guess if I was going to the work of mounting a grapple, I'd want rotation too. Realistically, any hydraulic grapple can be modified to fit your boom, a quick look on the web shows grapples from $2,000-$5,000.

John V

I don't have aux hydraulics at the end of my boom. There are two free spools at the valve block, from what I can see in the tech manuals those are meant for something like the grapple clamp and a rotator. I'll have to do some digging to understand how to run hydraulics to the end of the hydraulic extensions.

crane operator

Most run a hydraulic reel at the end of the last rigid section, before the telescoping sections. The reel needs enough hose to reach the last tele section.

If you want grapple and rotation, you really need 4 hoses, or 2 hoses and a electrical reel, and a hyd over electrical switch at the end to swap from grapple to rotate.

I would probably just mount two hydraulic reels, to get your four hoses.

Here's a picture of a factory reel. I've attached a link to a aftermarket reel, that you could modify and mount. It holds 25' of hose, I don't know how much telescope you have on yours.

pk 8000.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Reelcraft-TH5425-OMP-Hydraulic-Retractable/dp/B0035HUM08reelcraft.jpg