• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

LockNlube G. Gun - reviews wanted and is it worth the cost?

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I'm considering purchasing a LockNLube G. Gun for a specialty grease.
GGun-web_2000x.jpg

Mostly, it will be used to refill the autolube system on the Menzi Muck A91F but also some of the manual fittings on the same machine. Looks like the machine has always had Panolin Special Grease 2 product #74050. The machine is still extremely tight after 7k hrs on the clock so I will continue to use the same grease in it even though it is so expensive - about $400 for a 5 gal pail.

I'm looking for feedback on the G. Gun from owners and users. Bulk refill saves me lots of time and my time is money. I already own 3 pneumatic drum greasers for my other greasing needs and these save me 30 minutes a day on some machines. Specs say this greaser provides 3x the output of a traditional hand gun (compared to Lincoln lever gun) and holds the equivalent of 20 tubes.

I already own LockNLube couplers. I've tried cheaper units but they never last anywhere near as long and don't come with rebuild components. The quality of the company's main product sways me to believe the G. Gun may be worth the $250 price tag but I would like to hear from owners of this unit prior to laying out my money.

Oldcatpusher

A good friend of mine uses one for his dump truck fleet and loves it. He claims it's very fast. I think he's only been using it for a year.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I’m curious to see the feedback. I’ve been wanting one for keeping the tracks tensioned on the drills. We run em right and my arms get wore out too quick! Lol. Cordless grease guns just hit relief and puke grease all over.

treemuncher

Occupation
Ok, I gave up on feedback and made the purchase. My grease was delivered in such a severely damaged container that it was unusable with an air greaser follower plate. Panolin was great as they comped me the cost of the grease due to the heavy shipping damage so I rolled that money over to the G. Gun and took a chance. I've already leaned to buy the LockNLube couplers instead of the Chinese knock-offs that don't last and can't be rebuilt easy.

I was concerned that this was going to be something flimsy and cheaply built. That, it is not. 100% steel construction including the lid. It is built for the long haul. I should have read the priming instructions but I did not. Instead of filling 30% to prime the unit, I filled it to the top. No worries though, priming was accomplished within 50 strokes. I would estimate that the container holds at least 2 gallons or more of product.

I primed the G. Gun on some manual fittings on the Menzi instead of dosing it back into the bucket. Once I thought it was completely primed, I started filling the Bekamax Autogreaser reservoir through the side fitting. The G. Gun specs read that it shoots 3x the grease per stroke of a typical hand lever type grease gun and that seemed about right. It filled the reservoir quickly and I'm good to go for quite a while. Absolutely no mess other that a dab at the grease fitting. The G. Gun has a coupler holder that keeps the hose wound around the can and keeps everything neat. You will still need a rag if you want to keep things clean and neat - greasing is NEVER perfect unless you expect spillage.

Am I happy with the purchase? So far, that is an easy YES. The included filling "spatula" system helps keep the messes minimized and works well. I also ordered a couple more couplers. Each includes 1 rebuild kit so 1 coupler cost roughly $15 which is the same as a cheap copied unit that never lasts as long as the LockNLube.

The most important thing about the G. Gun is the ability to relieve back pressure on a stuck fitting by lifting the stomp pedal. I expect this important feature to save me a lot of broken couplers. This is what usually trashes my standard grease couplers within 20 greasing sessions - that back pressure that won't release the grip of the coupler on the ball of the grease fitting. This is why I first tried the LockNLube couplers and that solved most of the issue although some back pressure will shorten the life of even the best couplers.

My only complaint is the cost of the unit. The cost will be long forgotten if I never have any service issues with it and it outlasts me. Now, if I get my grease distribution blocks and hoses mounted on the Lamtrac, I might purchase a second unit so I don't have to wait on my air compressor to get the grease flowing.

For anyone looking at installing remote greasing lines to central grease distribution blocks, see https://www.autolubeparts.com/Hydraulic_hose_840_bar_8_6ODX4_ID_Filled_p/302501.htm for an easy to work with hose and they sell all of the fittings you will ever need. I can usually score Lincoln grease distribution blocks from Ebay for reasonable prices. You can grease one fitting and distribute an even amount of product to 4,6,8,10,12 or more fittings from that one connection. Saves a lot of time and mess.

DB2

We have two and I love them.

Frees up both hands and is certainly less fatiguing. Also like using bulk grease as I always find tubes prone to air lock. Frustrating to see a man wasting time pumping to get them primed. The rebuildable couplers are great as well.

treemuncher

Occupation
Another great use for this G. Gun with the locking coupler is using a grease needle to re-grease sealed bearings with fresh grease. 2 hands free to work and 1 foot to pump the grease.

I had 18 bearings on my CleanFix air powered reversing fan, many of which were feeling "notchy". I was able to load the greasing needle into the coupler without worry of it coming loose or falling out. I had 2 hands available to get the needle installed and then used 1 foot to pump in a shot of grease. Worked great. I do suggest greasing from the inner side of the seal as the needle can fit between the lip of the seal and inner race if you have steel cover seals as I did.

Randy88

How do you keep the dust and moisture out of them when you transport them to the job site and as you use them?

emmett518

Ok, I gave up on feedback and made the purchase. My grease was delivered in such a severely damaged container that it was unusable with an air greaser follower plate. Panolin was great as they comped me the cost of the grease due to the heavy shipping damage so I rolled that money over to the G. Gun and took a chance. I've already leaned to buy the LockNLube couplers instead of the Chinese knock-offs that don't last and can't be rebuilt easy.

I was concerned that this was going to be something flimsy and cheaply built. That, it is not. 100% steel construction including the lid. It is built for the long haul. I should have read the priming instructions but I did not. Instead of filling 30% to prime the unit, I filled it to the top. No worries though, priming was accomplished within 50 strokes. I would estimate that the container holds at least 2 gallons or more of product.

I primed the G. Gun on some manual fittings on the Menzi instead of dosing it back into the bucket. Once I thought it was completely primed, I started filling the Bekamax Autogreaser reservoir through the side fitting. The G. Gun specs read that it shoots 3x the grease per stroke of a typical hand lever type grease gun and that seemed about right. It filled the reservoir quickly and I'm good to go for quite a while. Absolutely no mess other that a dab at the grease fitting. The G. Gun has a coupler holder that keeps the hose wound around the can and keeps everything neat. You will still need a rag if you want to keep things clean and neat - greasing is NEVER perfect unless you expect spillage.

Am I happy with the purchase? So far, that is an easy YES. The included filling "spatula" system helps keep the messes minimized and works well. I also ordered a couple more couplers. Each includes 1 rebuild kit so 1 coupler cost roughly $15 which is the same as a cheap copied unit that never lasts as long as the LockNLube.

The most important thing about the G. Gun is the ability to relieve back pressure on a stuck fitting by lifting the stomp pedal. I expect this important feature to save me a lot of broken couplers. This is what usually trashes my standard grease couplers within 20 greasing sessions - that back pressure that won't release the grip of the coupler on the ball of the grease fitting. This is why I first tried the LockNLube couplers and that solved most of the issue although some back pressure will shorten the life of even the best couplers.

My only complaint is the cost of the unit. The cost will be long forgotten if I never have any service issues with it and it outlasts me. Now, if I get my grease distribution blocks and hoses mounted on the Lamtrac, I might purchase a second unit so I don't have to wait on my air compressor to get the grease flowing.

For anyone looking at installing remote greasing lines to central grease distribution blocks, see https://www.autolubeparts.com/Hydraulic_hose_840_bar_8_6ODX4_ID_Filled_p/302501.htm for an easy to work with hose and they sell all of the fittings you will ever need. I can usually score Lincoln grease distribution blocks from Ebay for reasonable prices. You can grease one fitting and distribute an even amount of product to 4,6,8,10,12 or more fittings from that one connection. Saves a lot of time and mess.

Is it a PITA to carry around compared to a cartridge gun?

treemuncher

Occupation
How do you keep the dust and moisture out of them when you transport them to the job site and as you use them?

There is a steel cap that snaps on the top of the grease reservoir. I've been keeping the unit at my shop, which is very dusty at times, and the internal top layer of grease is still pristine clean. The way the rest of it is built/designed, I would expect a seal on that cover but I did not look for one.

Is it a PITA to carry around compared to a cartridge gun?

It has a large, padded handle for mobilization. It holds the equivalent of 2 cases (20 tubes) of grease so it is certainly heavier but you don't have to hold it up to use it. You don't want to carry it a mile but you don't have to refill it every day or week either. If I did not have a pneumatic bulk grease dispenser on my truck, I would retire my tube guns and go to this unit instead. Faster, cleaner, more pressure and cheaper with bulk grease purchase.

Reactions: DB2