• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Location of solenoid valves on Volvo L20B loader?

MikeC1962

Sorry for starting a new thread but since this is a bit of a new problem, I though it would be OK.

So, the original issue was the loader not moving.

After I did some testing, I pulled the fuse / relay board and found a trace that had been destroyed. It when between the forward and reverse relays (pins 30).

Fixed that.

Now I am being told that the unit is blowing fuses when it is in reverse (sometimes right away .. sometimes after 1/2 hour). Works great in forward.

So .... this makes sense since the trace that was destroyed on the board fed the reverse circuit.

My best guess is that either solenoid MA-9Y (reverse direction) or MA-Y10 (direction) are bad or the wiring going to them is shorting (grounding).

I have enough of the wiring diagram to see what feeds the solenoids (X105 wire 3 and X105 wire 4)

My question is where do I find these solenoids?

I assume they are somewhere on the transmission but there are a handful of solenoids there ... which one?

I can pull each connector and trace each wire with a meter till I find it but it would be a lot easier if someone had a diagram showing the locations.

Also does anyone have a part number for these solenoid valves? I am sure I will need to order one.

Thanks so much ..... Mike

IMG_2410.JPG

MikeC1962

OK ... been under the tractor all afternoon.

I didn't find the solenoids I was looking for.

Then I remembered seeing two solenoids on the pump (or just before it) just after the motor.

I tried one ... looks like the forward solenoid.

tried the other .... both wires on the harness are shorted to ground.

So, I think I found the problem.

Can anyone confirm the two solenoids on the top of the pump just after then engine are the forward and reverse solenoids?

Thanks .... Mike

MikeC1962

The opposing solenoids on the pump are fwd and rev. The one on the motor is for high and low speed.
AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!

I am going to cut the wire going to the solenoid and run a new one over to the connector (pin 3 on 105) ... I just didn't want to do this till I was sure these were the correct solenoids.

Like I said ... they seemed to be correct as one connected to pin 2 (the correct pin for the forward solenoid) and this one grounded out on both sides ... which explains why it blow fuses every time it goes into reverse.

Thanks!

MikeC1962

DONE AND WORKING!

It was the wire leading from the relay / fuse board to the reverse solenoid that was grounded somewhere.

Lucky for me, he had taken off the reverse horn (said it scared the cows).

I used that wire since it already ran to the back .... spliced it in .. worked great!

Years ago there was 40 dairy farms in the area,

When I moved in about 15 years ago there was 10

Now he is the last one left ... at least this should keep him going for a while longer.

Thanks again!