• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

loading trucks

lgammon

what kind of cycle times are you guys getting with 320 sized machines and 953 sized loaders. i am talking about loading road trucks like tandem and tri axel trucks. i have a job to bid and i have been doing small stuff so long now i am trying to get some ideas together

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
i have a big thick CaT book that has all the cycle times and the wear based on soil etc. its forget what they call it but bug your CaT dealer for one and if your a good enough customer they will give you one.

It is at the office, and i'll check it in the AM and post after other's post real world experiance, it may be intersting to see it vs CaT's advertised production rates

But ALOT of variables that'll go in play but i would guess a 320-325 would be lots faster.

But in situation's like this i would use a wheel loader, they are way faster than a tracked machine and a little more versitile than a hoe

Pj

Pj

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
i have a big thick CaT book that has all the cycle times and the wear based on soil etc. its forget what they call it but bug your CaT dealer for one and if your a good enough customer they will give you one.

Pj

Caterpillar Performance Handbook

and if your Cat dealer "gives" you the current edition...go by a lottery ticket cause your on fire...

JDOFMEMI

A quick ebay search will turn up a deal on the Cat Performance Handbook. Getting the newest one is not alwasy best. Get the one that matches the age of your equipment.

You can usually find one for $20 to $30.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
He gave me a new one but i would like to trade for a couple year old one, i dont have any "D" machines and that's mostly what's in mine.

Most of my machines are within 10yrs but certaintly not new, again if anyone wants to trade book's i'm willing

Pj

Colorado Digger

in a 25 ton hoe i expect 50 -60 tandem loads a day if they are digging foundation and working with a grade setter a laser. if they are just hogging off the pile it should be around 100. i know a guy that did over 140. it all depends on the setup, organization and operater.

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
How big is your pile and what are the ground conditions like? Back in winter 08 we had a job like this, moving topsoil off an subdivision site. There were roughly 18 000 loads to be hauled off site and the company I was working with sent a 200C Deere hoe and 10 tandems on a 45 minute round trip. Needless to say a month after starting they needed help.

They ended up sending me with the new 953C to go help clean up and possibly load trucks if I was able to. We had a mix between tandems and tri axle end dump trailers. I worked off the bottom of the pile with the track loader made myself a ramp about as wide as our longest trailer so I didn't need the trucks to move around for me. I would go up to the top of the pile every once in awhile and push down some fresh material but I generally only moved my ramp every other day to stay within 40-50ft of the pile.

The 200 was roughly loading a tandem every 2 minutes and an end dump within 5 minutes. I was nice and close with my dirt and when the ramp was frozen and I could turn on it I was loading a tandem between 1 minute and 1:30. An end dump was roughly 3:30 for me to load.

You struggle a lot less with the track loader getting a full bucket in the pile but fi the ground is a bit soft your going to be forever tearing up the ground when you turn.

heavylift

Sad thing is the trucks will all arrive at the pile at the same time .... no matter what... the combination of traffic, stop lights and convenient stores...
then the driver that thinks the other direction is better...
we have several hoes... but not always available .. one the only takes 2 scoops to load to the 200 deere which is probably 6-8.. We have to load level with top of bed to keep the DOT hassle to minimum.... a royal pain .... cause if they stop one, then all your truck will be setting on the roadside...
scraper piles are general hard compacted, so one needs to make dirt while the trucks are gone... which is usually only a few minutes... loose dirt loads faster.. even though you spend a few minute between trucks you will load faster with a small hoe...
The smallest hoe I've used to load trucks 312 cat ... we had a 270 deere that went down. about 30 buckets to load tandems.... The foreman wonder where all his trucks where.. I told him he would have heard the radio traffic, if he wasn't garage selling.