1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Loading tires

Discussion in 'Forklifts/Telehandlers' started by Hammer03, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Hammer03

Hammer03 Member

Looking into loading my tires on one of my sky trak 6036s. I think foam filling is our best option but am concerned that doing this will hurt me in the sand and clay mud. Does any one have any experience with this or advise?

Thanks in advance!

2. Txhayseed

Txhayseed Well-Known Member

All our machines use foam filled tires. No issues with loss of traction. Its does add alot of weight. Pros and cons to that. It helps with stability and added saftey in my opinion. The down side is that alot of our customers pull 6ks around with a gooseneck or have a towing company move them with a medium duty roll back. Depending on your set up the added wieght might put you over the axle wieght. Plus if you dont have a company im your area that can remove the tire and foam or swap you out a rim a tire alrwady filled combo it can be a pain dealing with side of it when its time to replace. But honestly i think foam filled is the only way go. It don't many tire service calls plus down time to add up to the cost of a foam filled tire.

3. Hammer03

Hammer03 Member

I couldn't agree more with service calls and downtime adding up, especially when you have multiple machines in different counties like we normally do. Thanks!

4. TD24

TD24 Well-Known Member

RETIRED (Mostly)
    Source and price your foam filling and then check with Mitchell Industrial Tire, Chattanooga, TN. Their offering is solid tires, not filled.
    My experience was in forklift applications for many years as an independent forklift repair shop.
    In forklifts (cushion and pneumatic), the applications/usage (capacity loads) tended to bulge out the filled tire to a point it began to wear
    thin and eventually wear thru and fail. Sorta like having a heavy "boot" in an older tire to use it on out, and it failing at the boot area due
    to out of roundness.
    Over the years, we settled on installing solids vs filled, as the wear life was much better.
    Converse is, a damaged/chunked out/cut solid is a larger loss than a filled. A lot depends on how you load it, who operates it, and where
    you actually run it. I am sure that the filling and material used has improved over the time of my experience, and filled may be nearly equal.
    Just an opinion, no cost, maybe no value.