• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Loading dead tractor??

06bowtie_guy

Friend needs his tractor moved from his place to a tractor repair guy as it's dead at the moment. It's a real older case farm type tractor with a 4 cyl gas engine. Front end has a bucket setup, only single acting cylinders. I need to winch this onto my trailer. What should I do about the bucket not having hyd power to lift up off the ground??

I was thinking just losen the lines and let the bucket float?? Any help appreciated!!!

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
yea you can loosen the lines and the bucket should float...it will be a messy job

chances are it might even float without having to do that too...depending on how long it has sat...i would jack knife the trailer (bumper pull?) up to the rear wheels of the tractor then have another tractor run a long line over your trailer and pull it on up there from the rear....unless your trailer has a winch on it then it will be much easier....when you get it to the dealer they can figure out how to unload it

or you can probably also just take the pins out where the cylinders attach to the loader arms...less messy, just watch they don't get bent or anything when the loader arms start moving as the tractor goes onto the trailer

humboldt deere

Occupation
general building and engineering contractor
Use jumpers and crank the engine with the valve open, it should lift slowly. Don't overheat the starter though give it a break if it takes too long.

06bowtie_guy

Thanks for the tips. Pin removal is a good one. Not really able to crank the engine over they way it is now. Checked the site before going today and used the pin idea. Forgot the camera but my buddy took a few cell phone pics which hopefully he will send to me soon.

Not knowing the tractor is hard but it's an old case 2wd with front loader bucket setup. Rear tires are about 4 feet tall I'd say. Anyways seemed to be heavy, hopefully a pic will enable someone to guess at weight. :drinkup

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
4 foot tires...sounds like a good old Case Comfort King...he might have been better off letting it sit..HAHA

Tri-Star

I would find a skid steer or tractor with bucket and just push it on the trailer

cat304

help me?

swamped a new 304c cr mini. can not get to start to load need help to at least free tracks

Deerehauler

I do this all the time. I prefer to winch the dead unit on backwards. Hook a chain to the front axle and allow the bucket to slide over the chain as you load.

When you unload at the dealership, use a tractor with a 3 point hitch. Let the hitch down and hook your chain over the center hook. Leave as little slack as possible. Raise the 3 point up and this will pick up the bucket. Carefully tow the dead tractor off the trailer.

At work I pull a Palamino (formerly Wilson) Muv-All double drop deck. When unloading a dead tractor I back up to our loading dock -- this is much safer than riding a dead tractor down the tail of the trailer with limited or NO brakes. In a pinch you can leave the dead tractor in low gear and press the clutch down. If you need to slow down just let the clutch up gradually. SLOW and EASY is the key to loading dead equipment.

mrgraphix

I just bought a IH 3616 engine is out and in the old owners barn he started to rebuild but never finished. what about the backhoe it was not chained up. can I jack it or should i use come alongs to rasie it. by the way this is my first post as I am a new member and now backhoe owner.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
I just bought a IH 3616 engine is out .......... what about the backhoe it was not chained up. can I jack it or should i use come alongs to rasie it. .

Welcome to the board and good luck with your new toy. Sounds like you are going to be busy. :D
Either will work, but remember you might have to activate the boom lever to allow the oil to exit/enter the ram you are moving.
Make sure you chain / strap or block the arm once raised do not rely on the hyd to hold it.