1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Loader with a backhoe

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by cuttin edge, Feb 27, 2020.

1. cuttin edge

cuttin edge Senior Member

Finish grader operator
    A recent post about a Hough loader has sparked my memory. I remember a motel here that had an old Hough or Payloader. The smaller model with the rear steering. It had a backhoe on the back. Was that an option at one time, or would that have been a homemade setup. I was only young, and never got a close look. Not sure if it was run from the cab, or if it was like those ones you see on farm tractors.

2. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

JD and I think others offered backhoes for wheel loaders. Not real common but available.

3. Buckethead

Buckethead Senior Member

Operator
    I never ran one, the ones I saw had a separate seat for the backhoe.

4. JPV

JPV Senior Member

I remember our old neighbor had a nice Case 450 size track loader that had a backhoe from the factory, that was a neat rig. I have never seen another one. I have seen pictures of John Deere track loaders with backhoes. I have never seen a wheel loader with a backhoe but could see where it could work pretty good for certain things.

5. Welder Dave

6. JPV

JPV Senior Member

That is awesome, new one to me! Looks like a heck of a backhoe, if you had 2 operators on the same page you could really dig a ditch.

7. wornout wrench

wornout wrench Senior Member

I think it was about 1971, we were living in a logging camp. They had a Cat 966C with a backhoe on the back. At the time they were still building roads with American Shovels, hydraulic backhoes had not made it into the main stream logging yet.
    It was a funny looking thing to be sure and if I remember correctly its main use was for replacing culverts.

8. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    Knew of a guy back in the 70's that had a rear steer Case W-7 (?) with a backhoe on the rear that did exactly that, had a helper in the seat to move the machine when he was trenching. He could really cover ground that way.

Buckethead and JPV like this.
  9. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

Equipment operator,mechanic
    A5BACDCF-9D79-460E-B141-CB22E9480072.jpeg Just something I came across on Craig’s list

RZucker likes this.
  10. Welder Dave

Hoes were pretty common on track loaders.

RZucker and old-iron-habit like this.
  11. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

I have run a John Deere 555 track loader with a backhoe (pile of junk) and Dad told me he ran a real old JD one and tore every hose out of the machine digging out an old garbage dump when putting a bridge in

I had never heard of wheel loaders with backhoes before though very interesting

12. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    loader backhoe.png Here is an old International one.

Ronsii likes this.
  13. spitzair

spitzair Senior Member

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
    HPIM6061.JPG HPIM6062.JPG HPIM6063.JPG HPIM6064.JPG I found one a few years ago! Don't know anything about it but I'm sure it's still up and running. Lots of old treasures in this area.

14. spitzair

spitzair Senior Member

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
    Couple more... HPIM6065.JPG HPIM6066.JPG

old-iron-habit, Ronsii and RZucker like this.
  15. cuttin edge

cuttin edge Senior Member

Finish grader operator
    I've always wanted to go to BC. Looks like nice country. I have friends in Vancouver, but I would like to see the interior.

16. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    The loader hoist linkage on them old Trojans have always caught my eye. It seems they would tear out to that pivot area at the floor off the cab area. Maybe they were underpowered enough to save themselves.

17. Tags

Tags Senior Member

It always seemed to me a backhoe oe on a wheel loader with a center pivot wouldn’t be the best, due to the stress it would put on the center pivot, plus having to sit over the radiator must’ve been a real treat, much less having to move ahead by climbing down off the hoe, then up into the cab, move ahead, climb down and back up to the hoe, only to have realized you didn’t pull ahead far enough or pulled ahead too much. Have lots of experience with the Kubota 520 wheel loader with a side shift hoe on the back, the center pivot and oscillating joint take a beating, but it does have a swivel seat...:D