• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

loader transmission cut off

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner-Equipment & Parts Sales
Hey all. I have a loader here that has a trasmission cut off switch and i am not sure if it works or not. Well actually I don't even know what it does? From what I figure it is suppose to put the tranny in neutral when the left brake in depressed. ??? Can someone please let me know what my little Komatsu WA70 loader switch does? Thank you in advance.

Darin

surfer-joe

When you depress the left brake pedal, in addition to braking ,the pedal sends a signal to the transmission. The signal tells a solenoid to open the pressure line that engages the clutch for the gear your machine is in, thus releasing the clutch. That allows you to speed up the engine and work your bucket and boom hydraulics faster. You can also set the transmission in reverse while that clutch is disengaged, which merely saves a little time, and makes for a smoother get away when you release the brake pedal. It's a nice feature once you get used to it.

It's also very easy to check to see if it works. With the machine in any gear, press on the brake pedal and push in a little thottle. If the machine stops and the engine revs up a bit, the clutch has disengaged. Let the brake pedal go and if the machine jerks a bit and starts moving, the system is working. Easy.

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Thank you for the description and will give it a shot today to see if it works. Sounds like a nice feature seeing how I am not smart enough to use it but actually throw the unit in neutral to rev motor some when operating the loader. :( This will be a lot smoother. :)

Darin

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Works like a charm. :) Real nice feature for sure now that I know what it actually does. :) Thanks again.

darin

Young James

I used to love the clutch cut off switch and used it all the time. However, over the last couple of years, I find myself not using it all, and when I'm in a machine and it's turned on, I can't stand it anymore and has to turn it off right away. Not sure why. Only reason I can think of is when I'm on top of a huge stockpile with the loader next to vertical (exaggeration, but you get the point) and when you go to press on the break to stop and the machine goes in neutral if not pressed in far enough. It can be a scary few seconds!

Joe Joe

Hi I am new on this post .I have a WA180-3 1999 The trasmission cut off dose not work can you tell me how to fix it. What should look for.

ror76a

Maybe a stupid question, but is it turned on? On my (and I would assume all -3 komatsus) 320 there is a button below the light buttons to turn the cut off off, so that the left break works like the right brake.

Joe Joe

Thanks for the tip on turning it on it works like it should now. However there dose not seem to be much lift power it lifts very fast but not much power. I had rented a JD444 and pick up a large rock with no problem. The WA180-3 will not lift the same rock at all it dose not even struggle trying to lift it. What could be wrong here.