• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Little wrenchin time, this AM...

DIYDAVE

Got a set of Knife type (Y blades), for the new woodmaxx 54" flail mower, this week, so I figgered I'd better put 'em on afore it gets real hot, tomorrow, and tuesday. Spent 2 hrs, pullin the flail hammers off, and re-installin the Y blades. Good thing I did, found 2 hammers, that the bolts was about a quarter inch away from backing outta the nuts! Those 2 I hadda run a die over the bolt, to clean up the flattened threads. Went out, and tried her out in grass, (hay field). Does a much nicer job of hacking over ripe hay down, than the flail hammers... Sure am glad I have that old concrete retainin wall, on the high side of the ole cowyard, much nicer to work at chest level, than crawlin under, and havin every bit of dirt fall into my face!

Here's a video of the lil bugger:

After re-watchin the video, I found out that I put the washers on wrong, it should be washer, blade blade, washer, steada what I did, blade washer washer blade. On the ends, I did put them on right, cause I wanted the blades not to swing side to side, and hit the bolts, on the inside of the skid shoes. Manual had nothing on the parts page, I guess because I bought mine with flail hammers... Anyway, didn't make no difference on how the cut looks, and didn't make no racket, when I put it in gear...;)

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Diydave, I couldn't live with myself if I didn't take them all off again and swap the washers round, lol.

hosspuller

I'm with John Shipp … If the blades contact the drum ears, the blades will eat the ears. The blade is hard metal. Better a cheap, replaceable washer that rotates than welding on new ears.

DIYDAVE

May change them around, if I get a free day, just wish that manual had something about it in it.;)

DIYDAVE

A little update, day afore yesterday, had some time, so I spent an hour, R&R all knives, and put them in, RIGHT, this time. Also WROTE in the instructions, in the manual!

Hadda do it, on a creeper, on the floor, cause the sun was out all hot and fierce...:eek: