• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Linkbelt 160lx raido and GPS interference

trenchman

Hello, I have a linkbelt 160Lx and I'm having issues. I have a Timble GPS system on it for guidance, but lately I'm having issues with the GPS being accurate, this happens whenever the FM radio starts squeaking so bad that I have to turn it off. I'm thinking there is something throwing out a radio wave on the machine that's making my FM radio quit and my GPS to be inaccurate. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The dealer also came out to try figuring out what it is and they have no idea at the moment and are grasping for straws and wanting to just change parts out. Thanks

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
Was the GPS and radio working properly at some point, or is this a new issue?

Is there anything at the job site that could be causing this? Did the GPS work at any other job site?
Have you added anything to the machine?
The alternator can cause radio interference.
LED lights can cause interference.
Magnetics can cause interference. (like a magnetic antenna)
GPS tracking devices can cause interference.

Unplug or turn off all lights, and test.
Remove the alternator belt and test. (don't run very long this way, as the belt probably turns the water pump also, so you will overheat very quickly)

The alternator can radiate around 600hz and mostly sinusoidal signal which was murder for am radios but not so much fm radios.
To be up in that frequency is most likely led lights or a power supply for the gps or something of that nature.
The Gps is up in the micro wave bandwidth an nothing on your machine is creating that so must be some thing you have added or something that is about to die like power supply.
Make sure all your earth connections are good as all electronics are shielded to ground reference.

CatKC

I'm thinking there is something throwing out a radio wave on the machine that's making my FM radio quit and my GPS to be inaccurate
Are you talking about an FM ‘two-way’ radio or an FM ‘music’ radio? A ‘music’ FM radio receives in the 87-108 MHz while the GPS is 1,100-1,500 MHz depending on what bands it uses. The difference in frequencies means it would take a ‘wide band’ of ‘noise/interference’ to affect both.
How ‘inaccurate’ is the GPS?
How often does it happen?
Is it ‘location dependent? (Are you working in a rural or city area)

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
If your 2 way radio antenna is to close to your gps receiver it will degrade the gps quality. needs to be more than 2 feet away.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
Suggest you shield with woven sheathing those cables in question and make sure they are grounded out.
Kind regards
Uffex