• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Link Belts: Good/Bad?

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
The 320C and the early 320Ds used the mechanical 3066 engine. The new 320Ds use the C6.4 with Cat's ACERT technology for tier 3 emissions. The fuel economy is supposed to have improved significantly. Anybody have experience with these new ones?

You don't happen to be a UIUC TAM grad, do you?

jperfect

Occupation
operator digging mainline
heres my qeution for you bobcat. how much are you realy saving after you trade the cat in and have 5 more years of payments? :beatsme
from my math you are going backwards.

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
heres my qeution for you bobcat. how much are you realy saving after you trade the cat in and have 5 more years of payments? :beatsme
from my math you are going backwards.

My brother looks at this way; "it's better to make equipment payments than repair payments on old junk" He never keeps anything after a machine's warranty (5 years) runs out even if it approaches the dreaded 6000 hour mark it'll be ready for trade off.
He can easily handle $20,000 worth of equipment payments a month, for a "small" excavation business like his, he does really well, he broke the $1,000,000 gross mark last year and there still was more need for a 5th excavator and second bull dozer.

mxsledder

Could'nt agree more theres nothing worse than putting money into junky equipment. Right at 8k hours we trade all are machines in for new.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Your the only person to have ever figured it out! I graduated the year before they merged it with the ME dept. :mad:

Hmmm... did you recruit at EXPO this past fall?

I think we met briefly -- I'm Xing. (One of the truck-body engineers from UIUC -- she was an ME grad and helps at EOH a lot -- introduced us, I think) :)

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
I usually trade something in when the oil samples start showing higher amounts of metal. I have a Cat 980C with 15,000 hours, use it just for snow now. I think trading something in at 6,000 hours depends on what type of work you do with it, and if the machine is used daily. If I was doing demo day in and day out I would try and trade the machines in at 6,000 hours just because of the beating the pumps, undercarriage and motor take. Not to mention the stick and boom. My Cat 320BL blew the motor at 8,000 hours and it was mainly due to my own fault. It's $13,000 for the motor and $2,000 to put it in. I'll do that run it another year and trade it in for a John Deere 240.

drewtam

Hmmm... did you recruit at EXPO this past fall?

I think we met briefly -- I'm Xing. (One of the truck-body engineers from UIUC -- she was an ME grad and helps at EOH a lot -- introduced us, I think) :)

Sorry, I'm not that person?? :beatsme I'm in the CMEC group, I rarely get out except for business. :bash I haven't been back to visit campus since I graduated.

mascas

Occupation
Mechanic
600lx

Ive worked on and ran alot of linkbelts 600lx,6000Q,6000RT,5800,CII,4800's...However Im in a different industry...we are in the scrap metal business and they have riser cabs on them.
That being said,the 600lx seems a little light in the rear. The others besides the 6000rt I liked. I hate the 6000rt,working on them is the worst thing I have ever done.

bejak corp.

I have ran linkbelt 210 lx and they are by far the fastest and smoothest machine out there plus they have isuzu engine they are the only machine I would ever ever buy

swampdog

I'd start and finish by looking at Hitachi and Deere machines. They are quite common, both new and used. Around here at least, the dealer and support network is excellent for both of these brands. And you don't need to wonder whether or not you are getting a good machine.