• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

link belt 5800 quantam 1998 are they any good what to look for when used

fiat41b

I used to have a ol 4800 from 80's it had a 48" w x 7' deep eagle brand bucket pointed teeth and worked well lots of raw power however we got rid of it and i use to like the ls 4300 as a friend had one it was fast smooth.

Here is my deal a guy has a 1998 5800q quantam thats not all beat up for sale its got some leaks needs at least sprockets and bottom rollers has right at 12000 hrs,
i did go see it last friday it started and sounded ok had a 72" eagle bucket with 8 teeth hendrix quick coupler all the buttons lit up heater worked had ac dont know if it worked and the digital screen was clear
there were some oil leaks small but some and the boom cylinders had signs to be slightly weeping and had oil - grime on the floor in the engine compartment as it looked like it needed a good power washing the stick was tight in the boom, lower boom cylinder pins had slight movement from wear,
where the hendrix coupler was attatched to the stick and linkage pins were tight, the bucket moved on the coupler a bit

i think everything worked but did it work properly when i went to swing fast it did not want to take off fast and smooth but when i was easy on the joy stick it went fine seamed smooth and probably had the 8 or 9 revolutions per min. as the book says.

It was low on hydraulic i was alone no one there they said just go ck it out and play on it as the key was in it
i did not run it to hard or long i thought it was low on oil the as it had some moan sounds now and then i stuck that 72" bucket into the frozen dirt pile to see what kind of stick pressure it had but that did not impress me as it did not want to pull right thru
I boomed up and pushed the stick all the way out then went to roll the bucket all the way it did not want to go so i slowed the throttle down
and it went fine.
These are just some of the things i noticed. I think it has a 11' stick forgot my tape measure that day next stick is 13' length
opinions please or thoughts knowledge thanks

fiat41b

must not be to popular of a machine
I went back today and ran it again they had put some hydraulic oil in it probably just 5 or ten gallons but it did work better all the functions and modes worked
and it got better the more i ran it, swing was real fast and this time it took off quick i still think it needed more hydr. oil it has a 13' stick as i measured and it dug and filled that 72" bucket well it needs to have the boom cylinders resealed and some leaks found and fixed o rings ect.
So I made a deal a strait up trade.

Last edited:

fiat41b

did the come with a hydraulic counterweight removal devise? my 4800 years ago had one.

I'm all alone on this link belt 5800 q like a crazy talking to himself:drinkup

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
the m11 engine give a lot of trouble in those when they where new cams & injectors