• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

link belt 210LX adding hyd. thumb

Dan Jones

Recently bought an 03 link belt 210LX excavator to clean up some building sites, groves, and fencelines. It currently has a single function aux hyd system on it now. Wanting to add a hyd thumb if possible, got a quote for 8k just in parts (not inluding thumb) to add a dual function system. Wondering if there is a cheaper/simpler way of adding one myself. We are very mechanical and would like to think we could add some kind of diverter valve and get by that way instead. If it will be too big of process we'll just add a mechanical and move on. Any and all advice is welcomed. Thanks!

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Dan
Often the two way operation of the option circuit is in place just need some connections, if you could make photo's of the option line and connections it would be easier to help.A circuit schematic would be real helpful, attached is some information you can find much more by going to the web site excatech.org > Library > Adapted applications.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• H2 Control a thumb device1.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 11

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Attached is from a 160 it could be very similar to your machine.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• LinkBelt160 Option.pdf
    825.3 KB · Views: 12

Dan Jones

This is currently how it is plumbed/set up. What other photos would you like?

Attachments

• 3467B722-C84B-4AE2-99B2-E10296EC74D6.jpeg
    3467B722-C84B-4AE2-99B2-E10296EC74D6.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
  • D1EE23E9-1F1F-492F-816F-F8BDE25EF0C6.jpeg
    D1EE23E9-1F1F-492F-816F-F8BDE25EF0C6.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 27
  • 41234433-BC1A-4913-9A57-52B048E1D35C.jpeg
    41234433-BC1A-4913-9A57-52B048E1D35C.jpeg
    866.8 KB · Views: 28
  • F0B92FE4-931F-4E9B-A967-FEB6F98A599C.jpeg
    F0B92FE4-931F-4E9B-A967-FEB6F98A599C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 29

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Hi Dan
You have what appears to be a third party hammer setup (Hammer being one way - third party meaning not a factory fit option it is something that has been cobbled together just for hammer control).
That aside lets see if we can get your thumb working - please follow the option lines back to the main control valve and make a photo of what you have , the only question we have for you is how would you prefer to control the thumb - pedal. - switch - or combination with the bucket ?
Kind regards
Uffex

Dan Jones

Hi Dan
You have what appears to be a third party hammer setup (Hammer being one way - third party meaning not a factory fit option it is something that has been cobbled together just for hammer control).
That aside lets see if we can get your thumb working - please follow the option lines back to the main control valve and make a photo of what you have , the only question we have for you is how would you prefer to control the thumb - pedal. - switch - or combination with the bucket ?
Kind regards
Uffex
I would prefer to run with a switch of some kind on the joystick if possible, however foot control would work as well.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Dan
If you could make a photo of the connection to the main valve it may help this end, a switch on the joystick would require thress possions >off default > open thumb cylinder > close the thumb cylinder. I believe your nmachine would require a port relief valve to the piston end as you could make a lot of pressure by running the bucket cylinder against the thumb. A phono would make it clear if you already have this in plavce.
kind regards
Uffex

MikeRandazzo

Good morning gentlemen, I have a link belt 160lx serial number K2J16053, it has bidirectional hydraulics, wondering if anyone can help me along with the what I will have to do to convert to one way flow to run a hammer? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
A simple solution would be to install a three port manual valve to the tank side, connect the additional port to the tank. When using the hammer, turn the return line to tank connection.
Kind regards
Uffex
upload_2023-1-18_17-42-2.png

MikeRandazzo

Good day
A simple solution would be to install a three port manual valve to the tank side, connect the additional port to the tank. When using the hammer, turn the return line to tank connection.
Kind regards
Uffex
View attachment 278071

Uffex,

Thank you very much for the timely response. I will update as soon as I install the T with a line to return to the tank.

Mike