• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Line Boring Systems

StanRUS

Hi Ray,
Help me with continuing education, please!
Which feed-box gear do you use 0.05-0.1-0.2-0.25mm when bore welding? Or is the weld-gear when engaged also turning the lead screw, I don't think so.

Your neighbor-competitors with the borewelders that use Hofmann feed-box, is the drive motor from a welding wire feeder and wire feeder controller pc broad used for rotational speed adjustments?

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder

Help me with continuing education, please!
Which feed-box gear do you use 0.05-0.1-0.2-0.25mm when bore welding? Or is the weld-gear when engaged also turning the lead screw, I don't think so.

The feed box is locked by turning a knob half a turn. The welding gear is engaged which turns the lead screw at a 1 to 1 ratio to the bar rotation. At the start of a bore I can feed the bar manually and get a perfect start to the weld, then engage the drive and away you go.

Your neighbor-competitors with the borewelders that use Hofmann feed-box, is the drive motor from a welding wire feeder and wire feeder controller pc broad used for rotational speed adjustments?

The few that use a stand alone welder buy off the shelf. One mob I work with has both the Hofmann attachment and a Bortech. I'm not real familiar with the home made welders. I know they used a wirefeeder motor but not how they controlled them.
For welding components that I machine on the mill or lathe I have a Mk1 Hofmann set up permanently just for welding.

Last edited:

Williams Marine

Occupation
N/A
Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm understanding that I should stay away from the York Smart bore welder or some of the other ones for that matter, keep with the simpler ones to avoid repairs etc.
More detailed information or a link where I may gain more knowledge would be helpful.

Coming back to a post I made hinting that maybe RayF needs to write a book or some of the other very knowledgeable and experienced line boring contractors on here.
As always, thanks it is great to keep on learning and something to look forward to reading after a long day in the rain and wind here.

StanRUS

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm understanding that I should stay away from the York Smart bore welder or some of the other ones for that matter, keep with the simpler ones to avoid repairs etc.
2 KISS machines currently available for purchase BRS 408i or Climax Dozer. I would go with BRS, TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.

StanRUS

Line Boring Systems & Borewelders

AS home made.jpg

Okay Ray,
Finally found a photo of the Homemade Aussie borewelder; 70yr old memory:Banghead...didn’t remember the Hofmann feed-box was used with a Homemade RDU.

So your feeder box during borewelding is neutralized and becomes a Pull-Yoke. From the attached photo it looks like the small lever is used to engage or disengage the feed nut to stage (hand position) the borewelder tubular torch assembly. Guessing the borewelding RDU is also neutralized allowing free rotation by hand also. I would call the units KISS, originally manufactured by Arnold Engineering, I think?

Sub-Zero bought the package, they’re in liquidation, debt $29million. With the current Yo-Yo mining industry worldwide, used line borers might end up on the auction-used equipment market very often.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
View attachment 154297

Okay Ray,
Finally found a photo of the Homemade Aussie borewelder; 70yr old memory:Banghead...didn’t remember the Hofmann feed-box was used with a Homemade RDU.

So your feeder box during borewelding is neutralized and becomes a Pull-Yoke. From the attached photo it looks like the small lever is used to engage or disengage the feed nut to stage (hand position) the borewelder tubular torch assembly. Guessing the borewelding RDU is also neutralized allowing free rotation by hand also. I would call the units KISS, originally manufactured by Arnold Engineering, I think?

Sub-Zero bought the package, they’re in liquidation, debt $29million. With the current Yo-Yo mining industry worldwide, used line borers might end up on the auction-used equipment market very often.
The welding bar and extensions there are all Hofmann as well as the head mount. I don't know anything about the drive head and feed box.
The job there of course are D10 or similar pivot shaft bores which I have done many a time. Who has done them and how many times did they crack their head of the drive sprocket?;)
Sub Zero are a reputable mob fallen victim to the slowdown in the coal industry in the Hunter Valley. I knew the blokes when they started out. They originally bought Hofmann gear and they came and looked at my set up at the time.

Last edited:

Williams Marine

Occupation
N/A
"KISS", what does it stand for? Could give me an example of a KISS system, thanks.
(Showing how much I need to learn)
Would hate to get around the sales guys, being told anything and everything to just get to my wallet.

Williams Marine

Occupation
N/A
Never to much information...
Just being a dumb a#* is all, working to many hours in Bethel, AK, food not so good, ready to get on the big bird is all.

Williams Marine

Occupation
N/A
No sea food, lots of very greasy America/ Chinese restaurants. Its either muddy or a dust bowl in this place.

StanRUS

Line Boring Systems & Borewelders

Hec3sma.jpgHec2sma.jpgHec1sma.jpg
Ref photo ? HEC2sma upper right side
Attached 3ea photos: BB5000 with electric motor ~ Bore diameter 13.75” X 4.400” length ~ 1 pass boreweld with Climax Dozer ~ 1 roughing boring pass approximate 0.180” & 1 finish pass 0.020” DOC ~ SFM 600 ~ C4 brazed on carbide tool bit ~ no coolant used.

BB5000 Owner ~ Operator 56yr old Mexican immigrant specialized training Cat Power-Shift transmissions, DeMag shovels, hydraulics and okay general mechanic, fabricator, welder. Machinist experience manual lathe and knee mill. Line boring experience 20yrs plus.

RayF, Nige, BuMach or other line borers:eek:, what is unusual about this set-up ref photo HEC2sma?

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
It looks a pretty standard set up. I've done quite a few of those,both Bell and Cats. I don't recall what looks like a sleeve in the bore in that pic.
The older models with the bronze bearings seemed to last better than the newer ones with those green plastic bearings in them.

BuMach

Cant really see something weird at this time. Only its not in my shop:D
But its amazes me that Climax can run their bore system only supported on one side off the hole with that size of bore.
Definitly makes it easier to measure etc.

Last edited:

Williams Marine

Occupation
N/A
Next week paying a visit to both York and Climax to checkout the equipment.
Any advise you can offer, questions that I should ask, what to look for, etc.
Thanks