• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Line Boring Systems

Williams Marine

Occupation
N/A
The company's I've worked for would definitely say
"thanks but your services are no longer needed, we'll give you call if anything comes up"

BuMach

dje the guy takes forever to get that bore done..

i use those expender calibers too. i like them, easy to use and cheap to make.
I've been testing them in the beginning to see if there was a lot of difference between the bore i measured with that springloaded caliber and the same bore measured with my tripod bore measering tool. Was less then 0.01mm of difference so that is close enough for me.

Good to see you got the machine Williams Marine and good luck with the jobs

schistbay

Hello Williams Marine
We went through this exercise a number of years ago and settled on a Climax set up. The features of this unit will save the day going forward as it can fit into tight locations.
Secondly the Climax mounting system lends its self to mounting bearings several degrees off 90 from the bar and also allows for bearing to bore fine alignment. These to items are very important.
We run bars 4 to 10' in 1 3/4-2-2 1/4 inches. We have build a good quantity of bearing mounting fixtures over time.

StanRUS

Line Boring Systems & Borewelders

grove sm.jpg
Hello Williams Marine
We went through this exercise a number of years ago and settled on a Climax set up. The features of this unit will save the day going forward as it can fit into tight locations.
Secondly the Climax mounting system lends its self to mounting bearings several degrees off 90 from the bar and also allows for bearing to bore fine alignment. These to items are very important.
We run bars 4 to 10' in 1 3/4-2-2 1/4 inches. We have build a good quantity of bearing mounting fixtures over time.

Hi schistbay,
Universal mount increases rigidity (Cmax photo) ea pair of legs in the photo is triangulated with the bar center axis

Latest operator request is increasing facing machining rate using end mill, he sent U video https://youtu.be/0Dj1jPA9An4
This will be a trick to apply with portables

Last edited:

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Latest operator request is increasing facing machining rate using end mill, he sent U video https://youtu.be/0Dj1jPA9An4
This will be a trick to apply with portables

A small gear motor (or hydraulic motor) applied on a arm, finding a hydraulic motor with internal bearings capable
of being used with a milling cutter directly attached would be the ticket for compact-ness (and a hollow shaft for
a draw bar)

The rotate will be tricky, unless handfed (which I assume you don't want to do) so probably a small, high ratio worm drive applied
to swing the separate motor driven milling cutter.

schistbay

Stan
We built a set of universal mounts for our Climax set up which come on very handy in a lot of locations.

Jan 10 009.jpg

StanRUS

Stan
We built a set of universal mounts for our Climax set up which come on very handy in a lot of locations.

View attachment 155808

Oh you remembered, 'triangles are your friend'. You can add fine adjustment to each leg by threading the tube externally & using round body nut to extend or retract the length, helps out when mounting to irregular surfaces. If you have time check http://www.serco-tools.com/ for visual examples.

Cmax has new distributor west of your location TOMCO, service western Canada, hey make a deal with Cmax take the frozen middle north

Take care

StanRUS

Williams Marine,
U-tube video 'mickey mouse' workmanship with York set up https://youtu.be/60P5pjTLTLQ
Spacer bushings, welded in to retain...using 4140-8620 material etc
York FACING ATTACHMENT 10.375" max face diameter...0.005" travel per revolution...$2,750.00 fob...requires 5.5" space to mount between work surface & support bearing(s)

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Nearly 40 grand for a half baked alignment set up?:D I'll have to struggle on with my piano wire;) for less than a quarter of that

BuMach

Yeah.. Measure with a caliber and draw with a marker:)

Im not saying i cant find situations where this would be necesarry but its a bit to much for me..

StanRUS

Yep stick with that. Its not rocketscience atleast 90% off the time it isnt..
The Alignment Scope; that is NUTS...
Asked application engineers, 'how can you even use the set up solo' because it isn't possible to look through the scope & adjust other support bearings...reply use adapter & laptop...
The slip in TARGET cost $16,650.00, fits into $55.00 semi-precision spherical bearing that is fit into a non-hardened circular bearing housing; after boring 50 bores the bearing housings loosens up a bit & the spherical bearing will rotate from it's own weight.
Piano Wire is good enough!

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
There are many jobs that you need help with alignment. We needed them most on bigger excavator buckets where there are 2 to 3 metre distances between bores. Nearly 8 metres on 600 tonne face shovel buckets. You need it a lot on O&K work because of the very tight alignment tolerances. If you start getting into engine crank tunnel line boring its essential. Our alignment gear is quick to use,good for .0005 over 25 feet and is a lot less than 10k.

BuMach

Thats what i was thinking to RAF is something like that comes up at my company i would rather buy the pianowire system. Its simple and a lot more bulletproof then the others.
I did see one used a couple of months ago on a shipyard for the alligment of the propellor shaft. They had electronical alligment with a laser and electronical target. The kit looked like it could go up to space so i guess the pricing will be through the roof too.

StanRUS

Thats what i was thinking to RAF is something like that comes up at my company i would rather buy the pianowire system. Its simple and a lot more bulletproof then the others.
I did see one used a couple of months ago on a shipyard for the alligment of the propellor shaft. They had electronical alligment with a laser and electronical target. The kit looked like it could go up to space so i guess the pricing will be through the roof too.
Hofmann's Piano Wire set up for 2.25" bar is under $6thou fob Perth...you can make your own set up also...check around the shipyards they've been using piano wire set ups for over 100yrs
Lasers typically cost $30thou & have lots of usage issues