• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Light duty tandem question?

sbax76

Was wondering if any one is running a T300 Kenworth or a 335 Peterbuilt tandem dump? Is the 285-330hp sufficent for pulling a 20 ton tag with a 120 sized excavator? Thanks.

mitch504

It all depends how fast you want to pull it.;)

I've never used either of those trucks, but I used to pull 135,000lbs w/ a 237hp Mack.

I have a 270hp L10 cummins now, it'll never outrun my 427 Mack, but it'll cheerfully handle anything road legal.

Hp is mostly about how fast you can get the work done, not what you can do.

Squiddog

330hp is probably the minimum amount you would want to comfortably pull this type of gear, you will find the engine is always under load working hard to keep it in the torque band.
but hey, if you can use your gears and keep her chuggin along, you will save a ****load of fuel compared to a C15 or equivalent..