• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lifting Cab on a CAT 287B

barnfab

I had an issue on my CAT 287B which meant I needed to lift the cab. Everything I read told me it was just the two 15/16 bolts on the front so I removed them and tried to lift. It moved a few inches then nothing. I tried everything even using the Mini Ex and a few jacks etc still nothing but Cab Flex.

Anyway it ended up being the rear Cab Pivot bushing inner sleeve had decided to bind onto the bolt so worked like a torsion axle. I ended up using a gas torch to melt it so the rubber released, the sleeve is still on the bolt but the cab goes up and down as expected.

I thought I would post it up here in case someone else has the same issue as I found very little on line about lifting the Cab on a 287B. It is just the two 15/16 bolts and the red safety latch holds it up nothing to do with keeping it down.

I was amazed that that little sleeve in the rubber could hang on so tight.

I will get some pictures to help explain.

barnfab

Here is the bushing I am talking about at back of cab

Attachments

• 2020-01-19 11.40.30.jpg
    2020-01-19 11.40.30.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • 2020-01-19 11.38.46.jpg
    2020-01-19 11.38.46.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • 2020-01-19 11.38.42.jpg
    2020-01-19 11.38.42.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 41

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
A good first step might be to get hold of an Operation & Maintenance Manual for it. Said Manual would’ve been in a pocket in the back of the seat when new but likely disappeared long ago. Worth its weight in gold IMO.

Post a Serial Number and I can walk you through the process. A pdf download is about $50 IIRC.

The cab lifting procedure will be in the O&MM, along with loads of other useful information.

EDIT: Sorry, didn’t see your other thread where you mentioned that you’d ordered them.

Last edited:

barnfab

I have ordered a manual so all good there. There are some old wet pages beside the seat so I am guessing that was once the operators manual.

The interesting thing I found when looking online was no one seemed to cover the 287B and it had a different latch setup to most of the ones I did find. That and the fact the seized bush sleeve would have happily take all the force I could throw at it before I gave it some flame so I figured I would post an update as I would have loved to know 100% that nothing else was required to lift the cab just the two front bolts.

But now I know and it works fine ... pity about the hydraulics lol , but with the gunk in there I am amazed anything is working. If I had of known how easy it was to open the cab I would have done it as part of the inspection before I bought it , oh well live and learn .

ThreeCW

My 2006 CAT 242B has the same cab tilt procedure ... place supports under the rear of the machine, remove the two 15/16" nuts from the front inside corners of the cab, close the door, tilt the cab upward and ensure cab support lever is in the engaged position. My 242B is also new to me and I suspect the cab had not been lifted in quite a while. I had to use a pry bar under the front of the cab to break it free and get it moving. Once it broke free, it pivoted reasonably easily. My safety latch mechanism (cab support lever) is also the same as yours.

I cleaned up the two front bolts and coated them with some Fluid Film penetrant so it will be easier to remove them next time. The torque specs on those bolts is 92 +/- 15 ft-lbs.

I'm thinking of spraying some dry lubricant into those cab pivot bushings to keep them from seizing up like you experienced. Thanks for sharing your learnings.