• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lift Too Short

Tiny

I think they needed a bigger lift

Attachments

• short lift.jpg
    short lift.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,913
  • short lift a.jpg
    short lift a.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,918
  • short lift b.jpg
    short lift b.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,916
  • short lift c.jpg
    short lift c.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,911
  • short lift d.jpg
    short lift d.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 1,917
Last edited:

D5G

thats one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. WOW! Hope OSHA gets these guys before someone gets killed.

excavator

I have very mixed feelings about something like this. Yes it was not the smartest thing I've ever seen but it's also what made our country what it used to be. Do what it takes to get things done. Don't sit around and wait for the government or someone else to tell you what to do. And along with that, if something does go wrong and you do get hurt, don't expect the government to take care of you in the local Hilton. Take responsibility for your actions. It's time to quit expecting the govenment to take care of everyone and everything. Now having said all this, it does require a certain amount of common sense and sometimes I'm not sure that there is alot of that left.

Hendrik

I have very mixed feelings about something like this. Yes it was not the smartest thing I've ever seen but it's also what made our country what it used to be. Do what it takes to get things done. Don't sit around and wait for the government or someone else to tell you what to do. And along with that, if something does go wrong and you do get hurt, don't expect the government to take care of you in the local Hilton. Take responsibility for your actions. It's time to quit expecting the govenment to take care of everyone and everything. Now having said all this, it does require a certain amount of common sense and sometimes I'm not sure that there is alot of that left.
No it's cutting corners, they could have attached themselves to the cage or the top of the structure they where working on.

cartzblown94z

wow, they should def be tied off to something, if he had 2 lanyards he could be hooked to the cage then attach the second to the tower and unhook from the cage but you should always be tied off come on .

Tiny

Its Nuts to me,My safety guy tried to get me 3 days off for loading a manlift on a trailer without a harness .........If he had seen these guys I'm not sure what would happen even though they work for someone else.

td25c

It's spooky,but most of us in the crane & rigging trade have done that stuff.I've crawled up a lattice boom many a time to un-hook rigging.Another good way to do it is with a climbers harness and clip on to the second drum & let the crane haul ya up to un rigg the load.Here are a few pics of a crew working at a tower site using a climbers harness.

Attachments

• 100_1733.jpg
    100_1733.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,833
  • 100_1724.jpg
    100_1724.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 1,810

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic

Very well said!

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
you only get one shot.
life is short and a bad decision will make it shorter.

dingo

Occupation
diesel fitter
in my neck of the woods if we got caught doing what you see in the first pic you would recieve a "window seat" on the next available flight with a one ticket to boot.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....

No this is someone not doing their job properly, the operator last,the super/foreman next ,the person who drew up the method statement and so on.
This crew were given the wrong equipment,maybe to save a few bucks is that right...
Everyone, Everyone is entitled to do a days work safely,entitled to proper procedures and equipment to achieve that .

you only get one shot.
life is short and a bad decision will make it shorter.
you are so right Qball

Very well said!
CPS lad I think you might have the wrong end of the stick ....

Coondog

I'm with you excavator. And stock, the way you word your reply to excavator might not be the way you mean it. If you say operator, meaning the guy actually operating that man lift, I call bul**** on you. As an employer this is the last thing anybody would want. If OSHA was to show up on site they would kill the employer for it and call American red cross, declare disaster, and there would be a team of lawyers up this employers ass in an instant. All the while this employee has had all the training and he is wearing the equipment. OSHA would apologize to the employee for how he is bing mistreated and probably convince him to sue on top of it all. The fault lies directly on the employee climbing up there. He made the decision to do it, no one made him do it. In this tyranny of safety rules we live in today this guy could easily refuse the task even if asked to do it. This looks like a blatant case of someone trying to prove how badass he is. And he is pretty badass. That took balls, I mean let's give credit where it's due. It was dumb, but most of the greatest things are.

Anybody believing the employer is the first person at fault here needs to have their head examined once it is extracted from their ass. After examination deems such as incompetent and just pretty much overall looking for a hand out, then said person should apply for a government job safety enforcement position and try and figure out more ways to be a useless roadblock in the path of progress. For all we know the supervisor might not have even been there, or if he was could have been standing on the ground instructing not to do so. Bottom line is the employee made the final decision to do it. He is 100% at fault.

Coondog

I don't know if anybody else noticed this one or not though. What happened to the second man in the lift. Lol, and he did not even have a harness on, just a radio. Maybe he used the mic cord to lower himself to the ground or something. He might be even more of a badass than the guy we have all been looking at to begin with.

Impact

Occupation
Owner

Excavator. I'm with you. VERY well said.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
I'm with you excavator. And stock, the way you word your reply to excavator might not be the way you mean it. If you say operator, meaning the guy actually operating that man lift, I call bul**** on you. As an employer this is the last thing anybody would want. If OSHA was to show up on site they would kill the employer for it and call American red cross, declare disaster, and there would be a team of lawyers up this employers ass in an instant. All the while this employee has had all the training and he is wearing the equipment. OSHA would apologize to the employee for how he is bing mistreated and probably convince him to sue on top of it all. The fault lies directly on the employee climbing up there. He made the decision to do it, no one made him do it. In this tyranny of safety rules we live in today this guy could easily refuse the task even if asked to do it. This looks like a blatant case of someone trying to prove how badass he is. And he is pretty badass. That took balls, I mean let's give credit where it's due. It was dumb, but most of the greatest things are.

Anybody believing the employer is the first person at fault here needs to have their head examined once it is extracted from their ass. After examination deems such as incompetent and just pretty much overall looking for a hand out, then said person should apply for a government job safety enforcement position and try and figure out more ways to be a useless roadblock in the path of progress. For all we know the supervisor might not have even been there, or if he was could have been standing on the ground instructing not to do so. Bottom line is the employee made the final decision to do it. He is 100% at fault.

Where's that thumbs up emoticon?

Hendrik

Excavator. I'm with you. VERY well said.
There is a difference between getting the job done and putting your life at risk because the job was not planned properly and there is cost cutting.
Are you willing to risk your life just so the boss saves a few bucks on getting the correct gear for the job, shouldn't they know how high the structure is before doing the job and getting the right size manlift?
Unfortunately too many people get killed with the 'just get it done' attitude. Sure we are all probably guilty of this at some stage but we should always strive to work safely and not use terms such as 'this is what made our country great' as an excuse for poor work practises. Far as I am concerned everybody has the right to go home at the end of the day.

Coondog

Hendricks, seriously man, do you work for some broke ******* or what? Why is it the first assumption you have is that the boss is a **** and he would rather chance a man plummeting to his death than rent the right lift? Maybe this monkey man is willing to risk his life for his bosses savings, maybe he's the bosses son, or **** here's a thought, maybe he is the boss. The boss might be risking his own life to save a couple of his own dollars? Now what do you say? Is it ok because he will just be a victim of his own mistakes? It is unfortunate how many get killed with the just do it attitude, it is also unfortunate how many get killed trying to follow the standards set forth by our wonderful government as well. Our country is what it is because of the let's get it done attitude. Wanna example, ok the Army, Marines, Navy, etc. Our country is built on this exact foundation. Did we sit down and ask ourselves if we are gonna dodge bullets or did we fight for our country? This is exactly what made our country great, and don't go saying that's different because it isn't. Being a soldier is a job. Any job requires a work practice.
I do agree with you, however, that we all deserve the right to go home safe everyday. Some people just put their necks on the line for whatever reason, is it right, probably not, but it is still the man doing it that decided to do it and acted on his decision. Blame him, not the boss.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
Boss: We can save $500 by renting this shorter manlift. Joe, get your harness on, but don't lanyard off. Climb on top of the handrails, and onto the structure, or, you're fired...Get real

Blaming it on the boss trying to save a buck is narrow minded. OSHA and insurance companies have forced business owners into adopting complex safety programs & safety procedures. It's in his best financial interest to insist on fall protection. Have you ever tried tried to enforce fall protection with a group of rough neck construction workers? It's like trying to force a square peg in a round hole. The guy in the photo could have been 1000% safer by simply coming to the ground and getting a second lanyard. No doubt he should have and if he'd been on my job, he would have. I'm sure his boss expected him to do the job he was given according to the company's safety practises and training.

This country is not business friendly. There's no wonder why businesses are moving to Mexico, and overseas. The employer is held responsible for the employees actions, his healthcare, his family's well being, and most aspects of his life. Why? Because he's in it for the profit. I hear politicians say that as if it's a crime. shouting..HE's in it to profit! What a bunch of goof balls. Big brother wants the employer to be held financially responsible because if they're not on the employer's back, they'll be on the governemnt's back, and everyone knows the fiscal mess we're in now. Ultimately we're responsible for ourselves.

I'm sure some of you guys will take this post and blast me for it. Go for it. I'm not going to argue about it. I've stated my thoughts, and I stick by them.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Sometimes we get blindsided by something we hadn't anticipated or just plain don't plan things the way they should have been planned. Tiny's photo was in my opinion probably one of those times. In those circumstances you do what it takes to get the job done, and I for one highly doubt that the guy who climbed out of the manlift basket was told to do so by his boss, he just thought he was doing the right thing to keep the job moving. Whether I personally agree with what he did is not at issue here.

I'm not condoning what he did, just saying I can understand why he did it. Maybe I'm getting too old for this sh1t ........

Coondog

Impact and Nige, you say it so much better. Impact, that is exactly what I was trying to say, thank you.