1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Liddell-Birmingham

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by doublewide, Dec 30, 2018.

1. hosspuller

hosspuller Senior Member

You said the springs were a xxxx to install. How did you do it ? A special tool ? or pliers and grunt ?

I hate springs, fight them off and fight them on. And if you happen to lose your grip on one, it flies away from you to hide in the grass or corner of the shop. :(

2. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    There has been a trick to this for those without the tooling. Install lower shoe get cam roller into the bottom of the S, hang the upper to the spring to the lower and swing it into place then use a pry bar to align and set the Anchor pin. Use leverage where you can. Can do similar hang upper and swing lower into place on the spring, whichever works best for the application.

PS Mind fingers in pinch points when do this.

hosspuller and doublewide like this.
  3. doublewide

doublewide Senior Member

At first I was using a bar with a shallow hole drilled in it to hook the end of the hook on the spring. That worked ok as the spring wouldn't slip off as easily.

I was concerned about deforming the hook so then I started using a stiff scraper knife to slide in between the last two coils of the spring and then prying on that with a bar and both hands and a screw driver and my knee... and..

I was actually thinking just what Mr Miller just said... 20191127_121312.jpg

hosspuller likes this.
  4. Nige

Nige Senior Member

A trick my old man used to use on brake shoe springs was to put the spring in a vice, and then to force a washer in between two coils, then repeat as many times as needed to stretch it in order to get it into position. After installation pull the washers out one at a time and Bob's your father's brother...... :cool:

5. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

I was wandering when someone was going to tell him how to do it o_O

DMiller, Mother Deuce and RZucker like this.