• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Leyland #154 started surging while brushcutting, possible IP problem???

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Hi fellow HEF members, I have a British Leyland model 154 20hp tractor we use for all sorts of operations and need some help with it :)... so Friday I was brushcutting a fence line at about 75percent power and all of the sudden it started surging the rpm's a couple hundred higher every few seconds or so kinda random... so I cut the power to idle and it sill surges but not as much or as often... anyway limped it back to the shop had it idling for a few minutes and then it just died.

Oil and temp were fairly normal when operating although it was a pretty warm day and temp gauge was a tiny bit higher than usual. I don't put a lot of hours on the tractor so it sits for a while now and then so it's kind of a seasonal use tractor.

After it died I tried to restart and it wouldn't even puff so let it sit a bit worked the throttle and kill levers then tried again cranked a few revolutions then a couple puffs and started right up but still surging... went ahead and shut it down for the night was pretty much done for the day anyways and figured I would check on here for anyone with a similar issue... or hopefully PumpGuy will see this thread and says "Yep... common problem with those CAV pumps... I can fix it right up for ya'" :)

SPecs: Tractor model 154 British Leyland
20 HP
4cyls.
leyland-numbers.jpg
IP:
CAV pump
dpa# 32471090
set# 421/1100/0/2750
ser# 30473 WR

cav-nums.jpg
cav-back.jpg

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Those pumps will run, + or - a bucket of dirt in the fuel system.. BUT.. once they get full, it'll start surging & shut off..
Have you given the fuel filter any love & attention?? DONT FORGET.. the oring goes UP IN the filter head NOT ON the filter.. VERY IMPORTANT..
There is also a "hidden filter" INSIDE the inj. pump.. that gets clogged & the pump does the same thing..
Remove the inlet nut & gasket.. remove the large spring.. HOLD DOWN the guts w/ a small screwdriver..
& on the outside of the guts, theres a plastic filter.. use a 90* pick/scribe to pull it out..
YOU GOTTA HOLD THE INNARDS DOWN when your pulling UP on the filter..
Just blow it off & reinstall..
Let us know if it was clogged..{so we can make fun of ya, lol}
Is that gravity fed?? or does it have a lift pump?? MOST of the LP's were cleanable & have a filter screen in them..
Lemme know how you make out..

Reactions: DB2

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
LOL.. not very well & not very long..
I cant believe that a lot of people still don't know about that filter screen inside the pump..
These things have been around since the 50"s & the design is still the same.. plastic filter under the inlet nut..

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
LOL, I'll check the filters and screens Pumpguy. I want to say I cleaned everything about a year or so ago when I put a new engine mounted fuel pump on and cleaned things out... but hard to remember ;) sometime things just get overlooked. Would be nice if it's just the screen's the problem... and even worth the ribbing I'll get from you guys:p