• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lets see your "ultimate" service truck!

Max87

Resized_20180502_140149_5172.jpeg

2017 f750 with a palfinger bodym ford 6.7. Been a pretty good truck so far, only 35k miles on it.
If it was up to me, Id want a day cab and a longer body, but oh well.
Our company runs miller enpac's mainly so we dont idle the trucks all day (and clog up the dpf system). The the crane and outrigger functions run off the enpac, no pto on the transmission. Thats probably the biggest difference from my old service truck.
Before this I had a '13 f750 with a cummins 6.7, great truck but at 80k it was at the dealer regularly with dpf related issues. Company kept throwing money at it, but the issues were never completely gone. I could only imagine the headache if I was the owner.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I am trying to figure where he gets time to clean it up that Purdie, or if he has a crew set aside just to wash and wax it!! My own truck for service calls never looked that good even as first got them!

tekemp

lol I try to give her a bath once a week, wax once in the fall and once in the spring, boss covers my time for it.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
All the current service machines really make my old 1974 F350 SW FWD back in the day look SO Lame!! We used what we had or could find mostly in used machines, my own being a retired Utility service truck when I had bought it at a Auction Service. Ran it for close to five years limping along like a three legged dog but served me well, kid that bought it from me repowered, rebuilt trans and both diffs, added leaves in rear springs and a better boom/hoist than the home made I had found to install on it. Ended up it was scrapped another four years along as the old frame gave up, RIP in 1990. Nowadays all are class six or bigger with a great many class 8 chassis, would have given a nut back in the day to have had a Class 8 chassis service truck.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Mbar I had a sister truck to yours before my kenworth. Solid truck. Reliable, parts were reasonable, awesome turning radius. I’d definitely own another one. What year? 5.9 Cummins?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Been up close to Junkyards company truck, you guys really make me feel awkward as to what I used so long ago!!

Mbar

2007. And it has the cat c7. It dropped a valve a year after I bought it. Pulled the motor out. Rebuilt with marine cam and c9 injectors and a flash file. Runs very strong. It’s Been a good truck. Just bought a 2008 international with a Adkins body and stellar crane to start building up

ahart

First photo is the last dealer truck I had, 2020 Peterbilt 337 with Allison auto and PX9, 14’ knapheide with a stellar 12630. Second is my personal service truck, 2007 Kenworth T300, ISC 8.3 Cummins and 10 speed. 13’ IMT bed and 6025 IMT crane. C541DDB9-66A3-438E-9428-5A248049975E.jpegB8580C1C-6261-45D9-AC19-A4A19150F58A.jpeg

ahart

Hey now! I’m liking that kenworth
Mike L, should have seen it when I brought it home. Flew from Indiana to south Florida to get it thinking I was getting a Florida truck, ended up with a rusted out southwestern Ohio truck. Not to mention it went through 12 gallons of oil in 1200 miles due to 3 cylinders having broken rings. Made me sick, after an engine overhaul and a lot of rust repair/paint job, I ended up with a pretty nice looking truck.

Mike L

Occupation
Haha! I flew from maine to Virginia and bought my kenworth thinking I had a southern truck. Made it to Harrisburg Pennsylvania when the transmission exploded. Sat at a freightliner stealership for 3 weeks fighting with them when I hired a trucker buddy to haul it home for me. Got it home and found out it came from the local Deere dealer 30 miles away. Got mine repaired, cleaned up and I’ve been pretty happy with it. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one with a horror story.

ahart

Haha! I flew from maine to Virginia and bought my kenworth thinking I had a southern truck. Made it to Harrisburg Pennsylvania when the transmission exploded. Sat at a freightliner stealership for 3 weeks fighting with them when I hired a trucker buddy to haul it home for me. Got it home and found out it came from the local Deere dealer 30 miles away. Got mine repaired, cleaned up and I’ve been pretty happy with it. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one with a horror story.
Seems as if we have a similar story to tell. At least I’m in good company.

Mike L

Occupation
Similar indeed. I worked for a Volvo dealer and had a 2018 peterbilt with a maintainer body. You’re not married to a redhead are you? :D