1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lets see your "ultimate" service truck!

Discussion in 'Showtime!' started by DirtySouthTruck, Jan 18, 2008.

1. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    I don't know if I would cuss the V10's. A friend works for the local transit company and says the V10's in their E450 busses go 425K miles unless a freak grenade happens. When the 6.0 diesels first came out, that was the end of them buying diesels.

2. Moose84

Moose84 Member

Not really cussing them on a reliability issue it’s more of a power issue. I am right at 19k now and my 6.0 pulls it perfectly fine. The other mechanic I work with has the v10 and is about 3k less then me and that thing is a turd. We have had good luck with the 6.7 ps once you put an aftermarket egr cooler on them. I wish they would use these instead.

3. motoOzarks

motoOzarks Well-Known Member

self employed
    I've scaled back and have dismantled but I got a lot done with it 20140413_144520.jpg 20140413_144604.jpg

RZucker likes this.
  4. JPV

JPV Well-Known Member

5. catskinner 10

catskinner 10 Well-Known Member

Retired Operator/Master Mechanic 48Yr Member IUOE
    Kevin Foust 015.jpg old pic's 041.jpg Kevin Foust 016.jpg Not the ultimate service truck, but my last truck back in the day.
    Made a good money with that ol'e Girl.
    Tom

DB2, RZucker, AzIron and 1 other person like this.
  6. AzIron

AzIron Well-Known Member

catskinner 10 likes this.
  7. simonsrplant

simonsrplant Senior Member

Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
    What do you guys think about this...
    Late 90s International Paystar 6x6
    I’m considering this as a platform for my next rig. Ten foot body, small bed, and a good size knuckle on the back end.
    I’ve been mostly in a mining environment with my 550 but it simply won’t last forever. This could be a project till my trusty 550 retires?
    I’d like to know what the guys who run big trucks think?

Attached Files:

Wytruckwrench and td25c like this.
  8. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    I had a late 80's Paystar 6x6 with a 10 ton RO crane, Even after rebuilding the front axle completely the thing absolutely sucked to drive on the road. More like herding it. If you don't have to do a lot of miles on the road, it might be doable.
    Also the transfer case was a hot runner at highway speeds, if you can find locking hubs for the front axle it may be different.

catskinner 10 likes this.
  9. AzIron

AzIron Well-Known Member

You either wont get stuck or you will get stuck so bad you will need a dozer to get out

I like the idea I think that your working with it will probably last you a long time and it will require work to overload it unlike a 550 but it could be to big maybe not for a mine but other places yea

10. simonsrplant

simonsrplant Senior Member

Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
    Good to know... had to laugh at your herding comment!!

11. Wytruckwrench

Wytruckwrench Well-Known Member

I have wanted to go with a 6x6 for a long time. The only problem I have had is they are all geared at 55-60 MPH. Keep thinking I’m going to find one and put a sleeper on it and build what I want.

12. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    Yeah we played with caster shims and it still was a wander monster. The big super singles may have been an issue, I probably should have tried some 11R-22.5's just to see if that helped.