• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lets see your Teeth

bean

there is allot of different teeth out there I'd like to know what everyones experience with different brands/types what they are using and for what application.

Around here we stick to wirtgen mostly W6's for the most part but we get into w7's and 8's sometimes. Most of them are using in recycling operations cutting 4-6 inches deep.

Attached are some pictures of different sandvik and kenametal teeth that are being used in rx900/pr800's for shallow milling.

Has anyone had experience with those funny looking roadrazor teeth?

Attachments

• kenametal.jpg
    kenametal.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 2,046
  • roadrazor.jpg
    roadrazor.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,932
  • sandvik.jpg
    sandvik.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 2,452

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Those Sandviks are what Midstate use, they seem to wear good but they body wash quit a bit. Arizona Pavement Profiling used the Sandvik Tri-spec teeth which were extremely good. (red boxes double carbide) The Tri-spec teeth DID have a rotation problem in the older style drum in asphalt in New Mexico. Trispec teeth had NO rotation problems on Interstate 94 in a Wirtgen drum at 130fpm.

In the south eastern states mostly all milling contractors use Kenametal or Wirtgen teeth. I never saw many with Sanvik in the deep south. Texop use Sandvik/Kenametal.

If I can I'll post of picture of these funky lookin things that came in our rented Wirtgen reclaimer....Hard to get good light in the housing and they didn't send any replacements of the same style.

daddy

W-7's here. W-1's in the 2' skid loader mill. Curious what others use as well.

Toegrinder

Occupation
Milling Foreman
W-7's here. W-1's in the 2' skid loader mill. Curious what others use as well.

E-6's in our w2000 and 1200. They wear good and I get about 20 hours out of a set. What's the diff between them and the w-7 and 8's? Body diameter?

Toegrinder

Occupation
Milling Foreman
there is allot of different teeth out there I'd like to know what everyones experience with different brands/types what they are using and for what application.

Around here we stick to wirtgen mostly W6's for the most part but we get into w7's and 8's sometimes. Most of them are using in recycling operations cutting 4-6 inches deep.

Attached are some pictures of different sandvik and kenametal teeth that are being used in rx900/pr800's for shallow milling.

What the heck are the teeth in the second pic good for?

milling_drum

Occupation
Over the years the biggest difference I've noticed with teeth is the material your cutting can change how the tooth wears/acts.

The Miller Group were hardcore Kenametal people, They had been in alot of the old Kenametal advertisements in trade magazines and so on....in 2000 they started using Wirtgen teeth, almost exclusively. They always kept a pallet of Kenametal in the shop just in case...

They sent a PR1050 down to Daytona Beach after not being in Florida for a long time. 3 days into the job the foreman was calling the shop complaining the Wirtgen teeth were burning up before noon, typically running all day with them in Georgia/Alabama. They sent down a few boxes of Kenametal teeth and the rest of the job went fine.

That MAY have been a bad batch of Wirtgen teeth because I ran Wirtgen Teeth on I-95 just outside Daytona Beach and they cut just fine in 8+ inches of temporary lane asphalt. Teeth wear depends on what your into at the time and where. Not who makes better teeth.

If its a better teeth issue, Sandvik win easily. (opinion)

hoosier

Teeth wear depends on what your into at the time and where. Not who makes better teeth.

I find that true,just my experiences with different teeth.

Currently using kennametal RZ16 I believe.
They seem to be doing the job,15k-18k before a change.
Although on some recent city streets we were only getting around 7ksq yd before a change....superpave mix from what the inspector told me,all i know is it was burning up teeth at 2.5" running about 50fpm tops.

bean

We get about 8000 + square meters on a set of w6's teeth however some roads usually up north we are lucky to get 4000 sq meters generally 4-6 inches (150mm) deep.

W8's are similar to w7's but a little bit bigger and somewhat longer life.

Switching from a weld on drum to a keystone we get atleast 30% better tooth wear aswell.

daddy

I agree that material you are cutting has the biggest effect on wear.( Captain obvious statement right there :D)

Some of the worst asphalt I've come up against was made with river gravel.

Have burned up a set of W-7's in half a day, and had to change the whole drum. We can do it in 20 min's if there are trucks waiting. Guys look like a nascar pit crew.:guns

bean

We have even sprayed water on the road ahead of us to help. I believe it was a wirtgen rep who told us that however only a minor difference was noticed.

milling_drum

Occupation
CAT teeth

The box even said they were made in Germany? I found that kinda odd.

Ain't seen how they run yet...Need new phone fer pictures.

Attachments

• 58417_460384283342_593198342_6693372_630372_n.jpg
    58417_460384283342_593198342_6693372_630372_n.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,703

milling_drum

Occupation
Using Sandvik Tri-spec teeth in the W2100 in Scottsdale, they wore perfectly. no body washing or broken tips. Unlike the Kenametal drum under the PR1000 in New Mexico.

Last Year On Interstate 94 at the Montana/North Dakota state line Tri-spec teeth wore quite well, broken tips were an issue but moving at an average of 120fpm well...

mde3

tooth wear

There are a lot of things that effect tooth wear...carbide composition (cobalt content), material abrasiveness, material average particle size, drum design (perhaps the biggest influence), water distribution, load in the drum (depth and speed).

Unknown to many users, most carbide used in milling teeth comes from a waste process while making a different carbide product. If it didn't these teeth would cost significatly more. The problem becomes the content of additives in the carbide..additives like cobalt..which affects both the strength and wear resisatance of the carbide materials...too little and the tips become too hard and break easily, too much and the tips wear too fast because the material is softer. Due to the demands in the different primary products which generates the waste carbide, this content may vary over time...greatly affecting the characteristics of the milling teeth.

As most have you have seen, teeth typically wear out in the body before the carbide is gone...known as "body wash". Variations in the amount of wear are in part material dependant (silica content, cutting depth, and particle size), but in great part due to drum design as well. The ultimate design parameter that controls tooth wear is how efficiently a given cutter drum gets the millings up on the primary conveyor belt. The drum which takes the fewest rotations to get the cuttings rap onto the belt will invariably have the best tooth wear. You can guage your drum evacuation efficiency by observing the surge pile remaining at the rear of the drum when lifting out of the cut...a small pile is good. Drum flight configuration, and drum kicker plate angles and locations are key..as well as the elevating angle of the discharge conveyor.

Water jhas a great effect on the wear as well. Not only does water cool the teeth, but it adds lubricant to the cutting action, and tooth rotation in the holders as well. Sufficient water is very important, but equally so is the uniform distribution of water across the drum. Water spray should always be to the front of the tooth, never to the rear of the holder. Spraying water under pressure to the rear of the holder on conventional holders, will drive the milling fines into the rear of the holder bore, which fines will then cause the teeth to bind and wear out very prematurely (flatted carbides most common sign)

Several mentions have been made in other posts on this forum about the importance of cleaning asphalt build up on the sides of the drum. The only time this occurs (with the possible exception of milling sand mixes which by their nature mill "hot") is either when the outside cutters are not correctly positioned and the milling drum is generating drag heat at it's edges, or no water spray is reaching the outer cutters causing overheating. A correctly designed/repaired outside edge pattern in combination with adequate water spray will no longer generate build up at the drum edges.

mde3

Forgot to mention improper angles of attack as a major cause of premature tooth wear. This is more true on welded drums than on "quick change" holder systems.

Milling teeth in asphalt are typically most efficient at around 45 degrees, and skewed 7 - 8 degrees to the center of the drum. However due to the presence of concrete under asphalt in many roads, a steeper angle of attack is more effective. At the 45 degree angle the edge of the carbide tends to strike the underlying concrete either simultaneously with the nose of even before the nose engages. This will cause the sauder which holds the carbide to it's metal body to break and the tooth to lose it's carbide point. Hence an angle of around 42 - 43 degrees becomes the ideal. This angle is measured from the trued angle of the tooth axis (including skew) to a radian line from the tip of the tooth to the center axis of the drum.

Track Man

Saber teeth

The SABER T7W by EVERPADS holds up pretty good in deep cuts for both asphalt and concrete.