• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

LeTourneau LW16 rubber tyred dozer

Diggerdozer

Occupation
Financial adviser, from simple straight forward fi
can anyone help with weight and overall dimensions and a roundup up of its good and bad

Dozer Paul

The LW16 is about 6- 8 tonne depending on attachments etc. Standard machine was less than 8 feet wide. Good idea but had problems with transmission and diffs- too much hp for heavy work, the GM had a habbit rusting out bottom number 3 sleeve- than the motor is a deep sea anchor- too expensive too repair.

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
I used to have some brochures on these but have lost them some where, but I think the 16 was an indication of its weight being about 16 ton and about 150/ 180 HP. There was also an LW12 model being a bit smaller and lighter, I remember when I was a kid a local contractor back in NZ had an LW 12 I think it was u could see where it was roaded to a job by the big black tyre marks that were left on every corner they steered the same as a dozer lock the wheels on one side to turn. Will see if I can find any more info. Cheers RDG.

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
Just found some more info, LW 12 108 HP 7ton weight, LW 16 powered by 6-71 GM but gives no weight. I googled LW12 and it came up with a write up in the NZ contrafed magazine on the LW 12/16, worth looking at for a bit of info. RDG.

Diggerdozer

Occupation
thankyou
the one I was interested in , needed work but the motor turned over , 471 Gm , buggered tyres went for A$8,100

thankyou for your help in any case

Timmy991

We own 4 x LW16's and i can assure everyone that they do NOT have a 671GM. All of ours have 471's and are rated between 110 and 125hp depending on their setup which includes 2 valve or 4 valve heads.
We have: 1 x rear control with allison 3 sp auto with tilt / angle earthmoving blade, rippers and scrub canopy.
1 x forward control with allison auto, fixed angle tilting blade, "Rooter" rippers, and terrible made canopy from previous owner.
1 x manual machine with 4 sp eaton cog sack, stuffed blade, motor removed, machine only kept for parts
1 x manual machine in wrecked condition.
They are nowhere near 16 tonne, sorry RDG, in fact i have seen one on an 8 tonne truck although obviously over weight.
I have a weighbridge and will endeavour to weigh one next time we have it on a truck.

Dozer Paul, the only diff and gearbox problems where caused by the manual machines as they had little give when obstacles were hit. Most issues surround the brakes, as most operators do not lock brakes on when turning; allowing some slip to turn slowly which in turn wears bake discs very quickly.
The air diaphrams pushing on brake discs are also very hard to procure. We have made some in the past with mixed results.
Number 3 sleeves are not anissue with Letourneau, only poor maintenance with no inhibitor in coolant!
471's are very cheap to rebuild,in fact we keep a spare rebuild kit on hand. Gasket sets; however must be ordered in as required due to storage dilapidation.

Timmy991

Mate, where was this one for sale?
We are still chasing more machines, especially chasing a LW16 loader which is about apparently.

The forward control machine we have sold for $6100.
\
cheers

Diggerdozer

Occupation
I had a LW16 lined up out at Alpha but had guy snoop underneath , ole mates wife hit the roof as we were just waiting for a convenient time to pickup so he is going to miss out for awhile but I have heard of 3 other since so will try again

Diggerdozer

Occupation
The Model C Tournadozer was originally equipped with a Buda 160-hp diesel engine and "Tournamatic" transmission. It was upgraded to the "Super C" in 1949 with engine choices of either General Motors 6–71 at 186 hp or Cummins HRB-600 at 165 hp. Equipped with a dozer blade measuring 11 feet 4 inches wide, the "Super C" tipped the scales at 34,000 pounds and boasted a top speed of 19 miles per hour. It proved the perfect match for pushing scrapers; cleaning up around large shovels; and performing a multitude of tasks with a range of attachments such as side boom, tree stinger, snow plow, root rake and log skidder. Its high speed enabled it to move quickly from job to job on large construction and mining sites.

Diggerdozer

Occupation
yep this beast has a 6/71 weighs 17 ton all up is a model CH, 21 x 23.5 tyres, we started it today and didn't check the govenor , well I yelled just as he hit the starter button and away it went after 5 years and wasn't stopping for anyone , until we undid the fuel tap on the filter , it died shortly afterwards but not before we all had a heart attack , it is a big machine and looks just as impressive up close

LakeRat1

Occupation
Retired From: Farming, Oil Field Service Co., Serv
I have been following this thread about the Rubber Tired Dozers, I was in the US Army back in the early 60s, 60 to 63, i went was with a Heavy Equipment Support Co, Near Verdun France, we had a number of the LeTourneau Dozers, i wish i knew the Model , what i do know is they were powered with 671 GM. all were pulling pans, about half had a Blade on the front, the one i operated had a push Block on the front, they had 2 Elect. winches on the rear to work the pans, and the ones with blades had a elect winch on the front, all the macjines had a place that a blade would attach to that was on each side between the front & rear Tires, they all had a 4 speed tran. the ones with the blade were geared a little slower the the ones with push blocks, there were toggle switches that worked the winches, the winches were very powerful, if you blocked out the pan, it would snap the cable like a piece of string, They had one of the best seats i have set on, no moving parts, put the way the bottom was made, in rough places it rode fine, the biggest problem that i remember with the machines were all the air problems, the Brakes were air multi. disk so many driven & some drive disk, but when the air diaphragm cracked you had no breaks, and when you tried to use the brake you were losing air pressure, the same for the Tran. there were a number of Clutch packs in front of the Oper. they had a lot of clutch disk in there, some driven & some drive, if the Diaphrang burst, that gear was no good, we never had any trouble with the drive system other then the clutch packs blowing a diaphrang, they were trickey to oper. with a load, going down hill you had to release the sterring clutch on the right it you were needing to go left, and just a little at a time, if you were not careful it would jack knife, the draw bar/hitch point was so far behind the center of the machine that it was like a leaverage it you let it get much out of line going down hill with a load, they told us in school how many kw the generator was, it was big Gen. but never knew how many KW it was, but being a 23 year old Buck, i was not paying a lot of attention to that part, i dont know how wide the dozers were, but loaded on a lowboy the tires were close to a ft. over each side, talk about a mess, try to load one of the in wet weather, our tires were always just about like racing slicks, those machines would slide rigth off that lowboy if you were not careful,we were building a Railroad from the French Line in Eatin Fr. to a AMMO Dump that i think the line we built was 10 to 15 miles back from the main line,
If any of you Guys know what Model the US Army was using back in the late 50 & Early 60 i would like to know, we all knew them as T Ds tournneau dozers, i saw some MRS rigs while i was over there, i think the MRS rigs were before they went to the TDs, The name MRS i think came from Miss. River Service & they were use to build a lot of the Miss River Levee system, the MRS was about like a Big Truck with no cab & Big tires on the back, and a big double drum winch setup to oereate the pans, some kind of way i wound up with a MRS operater Manual if i ever run across some one that has a MRS i will fix him up

LakeRat1

Diggerdozer

Occupation
there are some manuals on ebay currently that are of the rubber tyred dozer you refer to , the standalone 4 tyred dozer was a super c with a 671 which is a latter deriavative of the LW16 that have been talked about , the one i saw yesterday is everything you describe except it has hydraulics for the blade and rippers, 130527900938 is an ebay number that describes the manual of the tractors used in Vietnam , 671 33,000 lbs , mounted blade if you look at le tourneau using googl e it will show you a number of manauls including scrapers you mentioned

LakeRat1

Occupation
Retired From: Farming, Oil Field Service Co., Serv
Thanks , something i read some years back said that one of the things that Letourneau was against was Hydraulics, when the Heavy equipment went to Hydraulics, it looks like they sort of missed out on a lot of chances, i know one does not see much Hydraulics in use on Letourneau Equipment, He was a very smart man, had his own collage to train his Engineers, looks like he trained his men to think Outside the Box, when i worked for a Oilfield Service Co. i found out that there were a Lot of Letourneau Drilling Rigs in use, i dont know about now,

LakeRat1

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
An alod man was telling me about a wheel dozer near by that didnt articulate or rear steer. I told him it was either a Ballmar or a Letourneau. He took me to the mans house and he wasnt there. I drove back later and he showed me the remains of it. A few months before we went to it a wrecker company bouth the sheaves off the blade and just ruined the generator ripping the motor off. If I can find it again Ill see is the transmission or what ever else is salvagable. The owner told me as a young man he and his brother had that one and a cable D7. THey got to clearing timber cot off for the timber companies. He said that the Tournadozer was the cats arse for pushing. WHile it was dry and good dirt he could out push a D6 or 7. He had a walk in rake and a bladewith a pin on rake and a stinger. He stated it was super handy on all the short distance jobs they didnt have to trailer it just take off to the next site.

THe big disadvantage was sitting on front with an open cab grubbing. IT had the blade tilt and singl drum electric rear winch. Later he had another with a double drum pcu on the back. WHen they retired they sold it for another clearing company down south.

Letourneau still makes the electrick jack up rigs at Vicksburg MS. I was down at Jackson taking my landfill operation course and shot over to the plant in Vicksburg. The office lot that was built in 1943 has some Tourna cranes running around. One of the managers was nice enough to talk with me and show me some old test picks of an articulated WD and a few of the scrapers. Ill have to talk to corporate though before I can get a plant tour. I did drive to the plants rig factory where theres a boat launch. I looked througy my binoculars and saw the remains of the large 3 wheel dozer. THe manager told me it was a parts machine. THey still use the remaining 3 wheeler, and a 4 wheeled articulated dozer, and the tankdozer winch machine were still in use for launching the rigs into the Mississippi river. All three machines had been gone through recently to make them last. THe hull of the parts 3 wheeler is amazingly huge.

Last edited: