• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

LED flashlights are a cruel joke

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Can't see manure with them no matter how many lumens they are.
Incandescent light gives the most contrast, I think its the color.

I searched but didn't find a flashlight thread. Any recommendations for mag base compact incandescent "torch" ?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager

RobVG

Occupation
So no one sees a difference between LED's and incandescents?

Last edited:

JD955SC

I see the color difference but it doesn't bother me...provided it's a good quality light. Cheap junk LED lights on the other hand, I hate the harsh light from them, not to mention the reliability issues

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Oh I don't disagree at all Rob, yes there's a difference in color, but I'm tellin' ya, even though I prefer the light provided by a "bulb", after using the Defiant lights I got from Home Depot, at least for a work light, for pretty much every day for the last couple of years there's no way I'd trade one for a bulb light. No way no how.

JTWAT

Take a look at he Streamlight Strion LED rechargeable. I have used the same one for over 5 years and have had zero problems with it. Holds a long charge and is bright. Have dropped it, kicked it and got it wet.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I had a Streamlight Stylus Pro USB rechargeable flashlight. About the length of a pen. That sucker could put some light out. Need to buy another one since mine grew legs.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I have (had since I think I left it on a job site, will remember to get it back some day) a 3 D cell mag light with a single LED.

That thing is so bright it is useless at night to walk around the yard because it ruins your night vision from the light coming back off whatever you are pointing it at.

You can shine it down an injector or spark plug hole in broad daylight and see the top of the piston clearly.

I wish I had not left it lying there as I packed up in a hurry....

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Cheap LED lights have real bad switches and they bleed off the batteries without being on. Forget about the little pocket lights in the clearance bin by the register at Home Depot and buy a little more expensive light. Not too much more expensive because they get lost easy and often.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Be care full with those lights with magnets.

Sure they are handy you can stick them some place inside a housing to make working nice and easy. Like inside the chain box on a JCB Skid Steer.

Every now and then I wonder if anyone has found that light! I think the batteries are dead by now, been about three years gone by!

Then there was the one I stuck to the inside of the frame on a 988H to make working on the starter easier. Looked all over for that one for about a year. Then there was another problem down by the starter and guess what I found?

RobVG

Occupation
Yes hansen. I have a few magnetic lights that have alot of miles on them.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Hey RobVG,
Do you have any color blindness? I am blue green color blind and some kinds of light look strange to me. doesn't really bother, just looks weird to me.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I used a very small single LED dive light for near 10 years. I think it was made by coast. It's sasfety yellow,has a lanyard and ridiculously bright for 4AAA .Light never diminshed, lense got cloudy from chemicals and brake clean. Polished right up and still in service.
If you wanna know what lights I hate... Today's modern headlights . I'd love to have DOT and NHTSA both do some serious night driving against those things, in the rain ! Whoever approved them for highway use should be castrated and forced to eat the remnants. But thats food for another thread

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Couldn't agree with you more about the headlights.

What headlights are you referring to? I have been out of driving since '12 or so but I absolutely hated those HID lights. Had them on a car also. They look like they should be bright enough but they just don't seem to return enough light off of the objects you are trying to see into your eyes. Give me big halogens any day. Although any more my night driving vision is not what it used to be, I try to get in before dark now.

check

My eyes are pretty toasted from welding and I can't see anything in the dark. LED's seem fine to me. Someone with good eyes might not like them.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I dont appreciate the new LED and "signature lighting" or the projector beams either. They are absolutely blinding in the dark, add to that some rain, forget it. I wanna pull over and quit. I'm coming up on this new ford with stacked headlights. I give em a flick of the highbeams. He flashes his. No difference, just point of aim.
So yeah i hate modern headlights

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I dont appreciate the new LED and "signature lighting" or the projector beams either. They are absolutely blinding in the dark, add to that some rain, forget it. I wanna pull over and quit. I'm coming up on this new ford with stacked headlights. I give em a flick of the highbeams. He flashes his. No difference, just point of aim.
So yeah i hate modern headlights

I was always under the impression that vehicles are only allowed a maximum of 4 foreward facing headlights/fog lights. A lot of new vehicles (the new Superduty being a prime example) has 6 on at once when the driver turns on the fog lights.

I will say though that if you compare the light output of the stock halogens on the new F150's with Ford's HID lights, the HIDs light up the road a lot better.

Queenslander

Despite automotive lighting technology advancements in recent years, authorities here seem to be striving to put as much highly reflective crap beside the road as possible... almost need sunglasses when driving at night.
It is particularly dangerous when approaching some nightworks when you’re faced with so much reflected and flashing light it’s difficult to make out workers on the roadside.