• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Learning CAT Equipment Value

Brodiesel

Occupation
My wife makes all the $$$.
Is there some type of baseline reference for learning CAT equipment value or is this just something learned with time?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
No different than any other rolling asset, you have to study the used market and auction results to define a true value at a specific time.

Machinery Trader gives auction results plus averages the high/low of retail for sale prices in each category of machine. I've found if you take the mean of the average price between auction results and retail results is pretty close to what a machine is worth with average hours, age and wear.

Take for example a 321D LCR - http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...awler/manufacturer/caterpillar/model/321d-lcr

The average auction price is $89,739. Average retail price is $159,516.

My 321 is a 2011 with 4800 hours and in "good" shape. A basis of value for this machine would be $124,627.

Of course there are still many variables in determining value but this at least gives a good base line to start from.

JDOFMEMI

CM is right on track, as usual.

Once you get familiar with the Machinery Trader site, you can get more detailed in the searches, with year, hours, etc.

The mid range value is a good starting point, and adjust up or more likely down due to condition.

check

I use Ritchie Bros auction results because I find their site to be the most user friendly auction site there is.