• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Leaking steering box

earnies2

Occupation
HVY Equptment operator and mechanic
I need some advice. I'm working on a link belt 86100 and the front steering box is leaking out of the front cover. It was also leaking from the line which i replaced already that was 80% of the leak. In the pictures it is leaking between the first casting and the body of the box. There is a o ring in there. If i take off the steering shaft and the 5 or 6 bolts holding the casting am i going to get in trouble? 20200601_134303.jpg 20200601_134244.jpg

crane operator

It should just be a standard steering box from TRW or sheppard etc. Link belt just buys it from someone. I would dismount it from the crane and get it on a bench. Its probably a toss up on rebuilding it yourself or getting a reman. Rebuilding it yourself will be cheaper.

It looks pretty rusty, so a reman might be easier.