• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

leaking pilot valve

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
Hello all,

I have a 2005 Cat 257b mtl. I have a slow seepage of hydraulic oil at the left hand control pilot valve.

In the picture the red arrow indicates the area of the seepage, the green arrow is one of 4 set screws.

Questions, what are the set screws for, and how do i stop the leakage?

Thanks a ton.

Ken
:beatsme:drinkup

Attachments

• PIC-0196.jpg
    PIC-0196.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 371

DRPEPPER

thats an easy fix go to a cat dealer and get a seal kit for between the resolver and the valve its just a couple o-rings and an allen bolt dont mess with the bolt that the green arow is pointing to remove and mark the lines on the bottom the the bigger of the lines will leak alot of oil so find some way to cap it off then the rest wont leak remove the valve flip it over and remove the allen bolt in the middle( between where the lines go) and replace the o-rings

watglen

Occupation
hey, thanks guys.

Dunnville is toward Niagara. South of Hamilton.

I know KW pretty well, went to UW. Where you at dsichwski?

Per Eriksson

Apply some vacuum to the hyd tank when you remove it, that way you won't spill a drop.
your wife's dustbuster works a treat.

dsichewski

hey, thanks guys.

Dunnville is toward Niagara. South of Hamilton.

I know KW pretty well, went to UW. Where you at dsichwski?

Oh ok cool...

I'm in doon area of kw out by conestoga college campus off the 401...
If you need a hand or caps and plugs lended that are ORFS (O- Ring Face Seal) Let me know...

watglen

Occupation
Back to this thread, .I had battlefield replace those o rings, but it didnt fix the leak. Any other ideas?

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
Ask cat how many times the control handel updates. I did mine 3 times. Once with seals and rings from a 3aw trackhoe, once with the factory kit and the third time I bought the updated control valve. Problem solved.

watglen

Occupation
Ask cat how many times the control handel updates. I did mine 3 times. Once with seals and rings from a 3aw trackhoe, once with the factory kit and the third time I bought the updated control valve. Problem solved.

So are you saying I need to replace the whole control valve?

I have been wondering that because before the dealer resealed mine he said 90% of the time they end up replacing the whole thing. Seems crazy to me but who knows?

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
Crazy it is but there is a reason they have updated the valve so many times. Did mine some years ago and haven't looked at it since. Otherwise it was leaking every 6mo.