• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

leaking front cover DT466

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
So a friend of mine has a IH truck around a 2000-2001, the front cover has a crack in it and leaks a lot. we stop drilled the crack and tried sealing it with belzona. It acts like the cover is pressurized or full of oil when running.
I am not familiar with these little motors, does it have more oil behind the cover than i think. the crack is above the crankshaft a ways up. Can a drain be plugged not allowing oil to drain back to the oil pan?

It does have a fair amount of blow by when running. just seams like to much oil comes out of the crack.
it doesn't get a lot of miles on it so he is just trying get the leak stopped.

Thanks

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
so you are implying that the cover has oil pressure passages in it?
Looks like I will need to get engine model and ser # to do a little research.

Tenwheeler

so you are implying that the cover has oil pressure passages in it?
Looks like I will need to get engine model and ser # to do a little research.
Just google DT466 oil pump images. I thank you will get the picture. It has to come apart. That's just my opinion from your description. The last one I was in had bearings dated 1973 but it is probably still about the same.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
There is a lot of oil floating in the front cover of a DT. About the only cure is take it off and weld properly(careful on warpage as little clearance) or toss it for a replacement.