• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Leaking Final Drive

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
The old seals will typically sit much lower than new ones. The new ones might be able to go down a smidge more but they don't look too bad in the pictures. Its more critcal that the toric is seated evenly and isn't rolled/twisted.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
In my experience there is a cavity that the rubber sits down into. You can feel it relieve into that cavity as you install it. In my experience the rubber ring will be just above the metal while the metal seal will be a bit higher. I can't tell for sure from your photos but it doesn't look like the rubber is all the way into the cavity on the highest sitting seal. Others who have done this recently should chime in pretty soon.

sdavies2000

They are in straight without any twists. I’m just worried because I expected them to fight me. Are some final drive seals just easier than others?

They seem to be sitting where they fit best, in order to go lower, I have to force the toric down in there with a blunt screw driver and then it fights me but where they are now they just seem to fit.

sdavies2000

Haha that’s what worries me, no tools and no technique!

They aren’t loose, they wouldn’t fall out if turned them upside down but you can pop them out without much difficulty.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Putting those things together without the installation tool is more a matter of touch than anything. Take a measurement of the seal above the case that it is sitting in and if the same all the way around, you should be good.

sdavies2000

Just lowering the sprocket side down into position on the spindle. Everything is centered and looks good. With a millimeter or two gap between the sealing faces, when that closes there will still be an inch gap between the two pieces (sprocket and spindle housings).

Should I just continue lowering the sprocket down and allow the weight to compress the seals or is this an indication that I didn’t have them installed far enough down into their respective housings?

Attachments

• DA1A0717-E58C-4188-B7C0-33F0C1CF58B2.jpeg
    DA1A0717-E58C-4188-B7C0-33F0C1CF58B2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • DAC7E368-ABE3-45B9-8F2F-9DEBE7AA91EC.jpeg
    DAC7E368-ABE3-45B9-8F2F-9DEBE7AA91EC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Should I just continue lowering the sprocket down and allow the weight to compress the seals or is this an indication that I didn’t have them installed far enough down into their respective housings?
Do you have any idea how much further the sprocket needs to move downwards before it is "fully home".? I assume that it fits hard up against a shoulder on the shaft or something like that.

Bluox

The bottom seal is not right, put the oring on the seal before installing it in housing.
Use some alcohol or my favorite brake cleaner and keep the ring wet while you push it in.
The top one may not be all the way in either hard to tell from your picture.
Bad Bob

sdavies2000

3903AAF4-2AA4-4D37-9298-6EFEC7FB933B.jpeg
That gap there closes to about 1/8” when bolted together
I think it’s the bearing on the spindle that bottoms out in its race in sprocket which is still about an inch away which is represented by that measurement in yellow

sdavies2000

Bluox, the o ring was on the seal when I installed with electrical wire between the o ring and bottom side of seal face filling the gap and not allowing the o ring to ride up while installing.

It looked like this..
this is a screenshot of another post but mine was the same307D28A8-F215-4CBE-8283-FF81EF131D23.png