• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Late model truck totalled

Truck Shop

I was thinking block as service part. Block too worn out, at rebuild time, replace with new block. Transfer everything else over after refurbishing. How is that any different than replacing a head or crankshaft?

Because the engine serial number is tied/stamped in the block not the heads or crank.
The block is considered the key component any engine is based on.

Truck Shop

Back to the insurance end of this thread. On my end of the business most insurance
companies for common carriers, insurers like { Great Western} you can get great coverage
but there many hoops to constantly jump through. When insured with those types your
records of maintenance have to be spot on and services done on time. They will show up
and audit random pieces of equipment any time. It's about keeping your rate at a low level.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Because US law says so. The manufacturers are required to knock a hole in the block so that is cannot be reused. I looked up the law at one time and posted it on here, but I can't find it right now.

Truck Shop

Eaton Corp destroys transmission cases that have the 1 1/4 NPT fill plugs to get them out of circulation.
Which entails basically any gear case made from 1995 down.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Incorrect.
Dart, Brodix, Speedmaster, CN, Donovan, ect all make pre emissions blocks & sell them.
The block and cylinder head has nothing to do with the emission system, it's all in the aftertreatment.

Manufacturing new old engine designs is prohibited by federal law. As each new Tier rating came on line, it shut off the supply of replacement engines and required that they be destroyed. Anyone can built an old NTC 855 block and make an engine out of it. They just can't sell and or run it on the highways. Maybe China can cast up a couple of thousand blocks and export them to this country but that would be shut off at the ports when word got out. And the people who would report them are the OEMs. The current situation is by design.

Truck Shop

Incorrect.
Dart, Brodix, Speedmaster, CN, Donovan, ect all make pre emissions blocks & sell them.
The block and cylinder head has nothing to do with the emission system, it's all in the aftertreatment.

That's true, but they get around that by it being aftermarket {High Performance}. 90% of those engines
wouldn't fall under emission requirements, special use.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Correct but if someone was interested in casting a replacement 3406E block they could get around that by leaving the stamping pad unmarked and the final user stamp the block with their numbers

Truck Shop

Why would Eaton care about getting older cases out of circulation?
Because Eaton does not want to continue supporting/inventorying parts for transmissions that are 25 years
and older. Besides those cases have tons of miles on them and need machine work .

Eaton wants to sell new stuff not old.

Plus most orders are for AMT gear boxes the last five years, the orders for manual transmissions
has fallen in the ditch.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Correct but if someone was interested in casting a replacement 3406E block they could get around that by leaving the stamping pad unmarked and the final user stamp the block with their numbers
We all know anything the was built before can be done so again. In addition to the cost this one will also come with a risk factor.

dieseldog5.9

Henry Ford did it, so did the Davidson Brothers and William Harley.

Hard to Imagine doing such a thing today. The Feds would ground you to a hault, or kill your bank account.

I guess that is exactly what Elon Musk did with Tesla.

Some Excavators had the C-15, and was for off road use.

Truck Shop

Henry Ford did it, so did the Davidson Brothers and William Harley.

Hard to Imagine doing such a thing today. The Feds would ground you to a hault, or kill your bank account.

I guess that is exactly what Elon Musk did with Tesla.

Some Excavators had the C-15, and was for off road use.

There were also several designs for automatic apple peeler back then too.

suladas

If someone is willing to pay that much, it's worth it, regardless of what others anyone's opinion is. Spend $250k on a new truck that is likely going to be a POS, or have to spend a bunch of money taking off emissions to make it reliable, or buy a older truck that will still have problems, but that anyone can fix that doesn't require going to the dealer. The guys running huge miles on them you have to buy new, or do what some do and rebuild the old trucks completely, best of both worlds a new truck (believe the only thing they save is the frame) but no emissions. But for many who don't use them a lot, the older truck is a way better buy. I am into my 92 Western Star close to $30k it's paid for itself in the 2 1/2 years i've owned it and given me virtually no problems. Just had yearly inspection done, few minor things under $1000 in repairs. Got oil analysis done on it to, and was really good. I also know I could sell the truck tomorrow for what i'm into it, no depreciation like the new ones(taking out the crazy last 2 years), or interest financing it, or extra money running full coverage.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
AFAIK there is No SN directly stamped on the BXS I own, the Processor says it is a 6NZ. That second BXS Block I have has a PAINED Number on the Rear Main boss of the block but again NO Stamped Numbers.